G37 Sedan

Fender Graphic

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 12:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,621 Likes on 3,462 Posts
Haven't updated my little sig pic in a while. Not only that, I only just now discovered the SIGPIC feature on the forum.

As for my member photo, it makes me chuckle with the idea there are people who think that's me, and not Jonathan Harris from Lost in Space.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:32 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 463 Likes on 390 Posts
The setting is clearly lost in space LOL.

I'm not in love with the orange logo. No hurt feefees though, it's your car and your aesthetic.

I might have done orange lug nuts to match the calipers. Other than that, I love the clean look of the car. It's one of the things I liked about the OEM version of the car, simple debadge on the trunklid and it's clean, clean, clean without becoming a blah generic sedan.

If you were looking to drop coin...

The flakes they add to paint to give it the metallic sparkle come in lots of colors, and separately from the paint. You could shadow paint flames or whatever on the fenders (IE, same color base paint, but with pale orange flake) and it would only be super-visible in direct sun. In shade it would almost disappear.

At one Rotorfest at ViR a guy had a 2nd gen IT-S racecar painted like that - silver flake on the whole car, but a blue flake waving checkered flag on the rear 1/3 all on top of pearl white. The color shift was amazing. No idea why he spent that much on paint for a car racing in wheel-to-wheel (and therefore in need of body work pretty often).
Old 06-12-2024, 10:33 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Hmm, a thought: I see seatbelt rewebbing on ebay for about $70 per side. (vs the super expensive we all looked at last month). Maybe orange webbing? That would be subtle.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Hmm, a thought: I see seatbelt rewebbing on ebay for about $70 per side. (vs the super expensive we all looked at last month). Maybe orange webbing? That would be subtle.
That is a great price, and an additional 10% off.

IDK, Mike. Maybe. Thank for the ebay heads-up.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:07 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'm with you. I really like the simple clean lines of this car, and any badging seems to interrupt the feng-shui. Which makes it hard to personalize to taste.

Externally, the only accent I have is the red calipers. Everything else is black and I like it that way - very Euro mod.

I'm contemplating a red carbon fiber license plate frame. That's about it.

OOHH - you could do orange demon eyes in the headlights... very subtle.
Old 06-12-2024, 01:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I remember some years ago, 180Customs had this option on your headlight project where they would paint the top edge on the inside of the lens. That could look good on my creamsicle. It could also be over the top. IDK.

And that's a hard no on orange lug nuts. Nope. I'm super content using these 8pt McGards with the floating seats. They look really good, too.

Once again I went out to the car with the whole re-web with orange idea in my head, and once again I backed away. If I had a black interior and a black car, sure. However, tan colored webbing is appropriate with Stone Leather, and I'm done with that diversion.

Anyway, nothing going forward until I get my driver seat repaired. And I've been putting that off for years, so...

Last edited by Rochester; 06-14-2024 at 09:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:20 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 258 Likes on 215 Posts
That seat damage would drive me crazy @Rochester as the rest of the car looks close to perfect as an 10+ year old car is allowed to look. If you end up repairing the seat, then have the upholstery shop reinforce the padding as well. They will normally throw this in as part of the job and it makes the seat feel new again.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by socketz67
That seat damage would drive me crazy @Rochester as the rest of the car looks close to perfect as an 10+ year old car is allowed to look. If you end up repairing the seat, then have the upholstery shop reinforce the padding as well. They will normally throw this in as part of the job and it makes the seat feel new again.
I've made a list of 4 upholstery shops I'm going to tap for estimates and advice, and will get those estimates this summer.

But I probably will hold off on the repair itself until next year. Budget-wise, I've already dropped a bundle on the brake project, and need to take a breather.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-14-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-14-2024, 10:38 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Set up a watch alert on ebay for g37 sedan sport leather seat lower and see what pops up. The sport (with the movable bolster) is less common, but does come up from time to time. This is 100% a possible DIY job with just basic tools.

If you're *paying* to get it repaired... I'd seriously think about having the outer panels on the seating surface in alcantara v finished leather.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (Yesterday)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:04 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Watch alert... that's a good idea. /done
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Set up a watch alert on ebay for g37 sedan sport leather seat lower and see what pops up. The sport (with the movable bolster) is less common, but does come up from time to time. This is 100% a possible DIY job with just basic tools.

If you're *paying* to get it repaired... I'd seriously think about having the outer panels on the seating surface in alcantara v finished leather.
Agree that this would make the interior look more upscale. Alcantara would look nice in the door panel inserts as well.

For those of you with a cracked dash, this guy covered a G37 dash in Alcantara:

Not sure how the material would hold up in the sun though.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Guys, my dash and doors are fine. The only issue with the interior is the driver's seat. It's the only thing.

Also, Alcantara... eww, no. Never. At least, never on purpose.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
Guys, my dash and doors are fine. The only issue with the interior is the driver's seat. It's the only thing.

Also, Alcantara... eww, no. Never. At least, never on purpose.
We know. We are just trying to help you spend more money