Sponsored by:

Last mod... Next mod?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Question Last mod... Next mod?

For the last 10 years, I always plan ahead on modifications to the car as part of the overall hobby, keeping to a loose budget between $2000 and $3000 per year. That budget includes mods, but it also includes basic things like repairs and tires and maintenance.

This summer I hired Eugene Turkov for a remote EcuTek tune. It was the culmination of a long set of plans, and I’m very happy with how it all worked out. Between the tune and all the other mods on the car, (my full mod list in the top post in my build thread), it is an absolute joy to drive my car. I mean, it always has been, but right now it feels like I’m at the top of the curve, and the only way it gets better is to move on to another car, which I’m still not ready to do.

Anyway, for the first time in the last decade I find myself with nothing to look forward to. There’s nothing on my spreadsheet, except some leather repair and overall maintenance items. I’m putting this out there to see if anyone has any advice.

Some things on my tentative list, but probably won’t actually pursue because they feel like huge cost items for minimal gains over where I am right now:
  • Upgrade the R2C air intakes to either Takeda long tube or Admin Intakes, and re-tune.
  • Upgrade the Swift Springs, OEM sport shocks and rear Tein Coilovers to a full set of expensive coilovers.
  • Upgrade the OEM brake lines to SS. (not actually expensive, but eh)
  • Upgrade the clutch, get a LW flywheel and a HD CSC.
  • Upgrade the Vossens to something LW.

And there are a few cosmetic things, too:
  • Get the headlight housings painted (OneEighty).
  • Get the calipers custom painted.
  • Window tint (removed and reapplied every year, because of NY laws).

Keep in mind, automotive values are subjective. So if you’ve dropped $5000 on a set of two-piece, forged wheels, that doesn’t mean everyone else should do the same. Or if you have a track monster, that doesn’t mean I want my weekend daily driver to feel the same. Know what I mean?

Probably the best advice is something I’ve heard a few times already, which is to just enjoy my car now that it’s FBO (relatively speaking). But is there something I’ve missed over the years? Something I should research and consider?
Old 05-27-2021, 09:17 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
  • Upgrade the R2C air intakes to either Takeda long tube or Admin Intakes, and re-tune. This can be done and fit in the budget, The R2C still have value and will re-sell and can add to the budget. In all honesty, you're paying for the brand. Cheap longtubes painted/detailed will perform about the same. Being that you're tuned already, a refresher should not be that involved and he might be able to do it for pennies compared to the full process.
  • Upgrade the Swift Springs, OEM sport shocks and rear Tein Coilovers to a full set of expensive coilovers. Leave it for next year ( I dont see you as constantly tinkering with the suspension to get the results you demand, especially if you're already lowered)
  • Upgrade the OEM brake lines to SS. (not actually expensive, but eh) - Pass (look out for used ones from 370z/G37 in the future)
  • Upgrade the clutch, get a LW flywheel and a HD CSC. Definetly since a failure in the CSC can be unexpected, the flywheel will change/give better feel and improve overall feel. Flywheels can manifest transmission noise at idle clutch disengaged FYI
  • Upgrade the Vossens to something LW. If funds align something LW will align with the Flywheel and give the feel of a performance upgrade without touching the engine

The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
deep0542 (06-01-2021), Rochester (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 09:56 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
  • Switching intakes shouldn't be too expensive since you will get a portion of your $ back on the R2C.
  • Is there something wrong with your current setup? Pass.
  • Meh, you can do this at any time as it doesn't cost that much money. When are you do for a fluid change?
  • Pass. If your stock clutch and hydraulics work correctly there is no point of touching it. Ride it out until you need to do this.
  • Up to you really if you are bored of the look. I think cosmetically the car looks stellar and I wouldn't spend that kind of $ on wheel. I'm all about having a nice quality wheel but I rather spend 5k on something more meaningful.
Sounds like you are really hunting to spend some money on the car. You have a solid car that runs well, I wouldn't 'fix it' if it ain't broke.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Sounds like you are really hunting to spend some money on the car. You have a solid car that runs well, I wouldn't 'fix it' if it ain't broke.
Guilty.

I really like planning and working towards performance mods. But maybe where I should get my headspace into is the caliper paint project... it's cosmetic, but it's something. I'm more interested in that than the headlights. And the window tint... it will make me miserable trying to thwart NY tint laws every year.

I think cosmetically the car looks stellar
Thank you.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:19 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You're done brother. Unless your next step is FI, just enjoy the car as is. I feel like when we have an extensive list we forget this part. The eight - nine months after I finished my list was when I enjoyed the car the most. In the spirit of playing along though...
  • Any long tubes will be beneficial
  • Coilovers wouldn't be bad and I think you'd like the handling benefits; especially on twisty roads. As @BULL mentioned, it takes quite a bit of tinkering to get them dialed in perfectly. Highly recommend getting the dial extensions for the rear. Didn't do this when I got mine and, while removing the rear seat is very easy and quick, it became a hassle.
  • SS lines is a quick and easy mod to knock out. That said, probably wouldn't notice the benefits unless pushing the car.
  • I'd say address the clutch, flywheel and CSC all in one shot if you decide to pull the trigger.
  • Don't touch the Vossens. No sense in swapping them out unless you're going to compete.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMB5190:
Rochester (05-27-2021), rotarymike (06-02-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Unless your next step is FI
Not even remotely motivated to go with an aftermarket forced induction setup. So yeah, not going to happen.

Any long tubes will be beneficial
Honestly, I keep going back & forth on how true that statement is, or whether it's a minor, incremental tweak to my setup. Either way, it stays on the list because it's an easy-ish DIY, and would re-engage me with the tuner.

Coilovers wouldn't be bad and I think you'd like the handling benefits; especially on twisty roads.
Agreed. And I'm none too worried about dialing them in to where I want. Once height & stiffness settings are set, I'd never touch them again. However, I'm genuinely content with my frankencar setup, so the only way I'd go full CO is when my OEM shocks wear out or start squealing the way my rear Teins did years ago.

SS lines is a quick and easy mod to knock out. That said, probably wouldn't notice the benefits unless pushing the car.
My brake setup is pretty awesome as is. Not sure why I'd be wanting to mess with this mod, but it's relatively cheap to do, so I think it stays on the list as potential.

I'd say address the clutch, flywheel and CSC all in one shot if you decide to pull the trigger.
Absolutely all 3 would get done at the same time. I'm waiting on Rotarymike to give his final assessment, having gone down this $3000 rabbit hole, half parts, half labor. It ain't cheap. And in the spirit of not fixing something that isn't broken, my drivetrain isn't broken.

Don't touch the Vossens. No sense in swapping them out unless you're going to compete.
Agreed. My Vossens are freaking gorgeous, and the 19" versions really don't weigh much more than the duckfeet. I won't be getting new wheels, just threw that out there because... just because.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I would skip the SS lines. I did them while I was working on the brakes - just cause i was already in there and my car is older, so I figured why not. Didn't really notice any difference at all.
I'd say do the simple cosmetics like paint the brakes and do the headlights, and then just enjoy it.

The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:37 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
Z1 just released this......
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...t-p-20471.html
Old 05-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh wow

That caught my interest, Rob. First time I've seen it. Welp, that gives me lots to think about. Thanks, bud.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:28 AM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
The mod bug is chronic with that said though, just enjoy the car my guy.

It seems like you don’t even drive it much since it took planning to run through a tank of fuel for your tune. I would just get out there and enjoy the car you built.

If nothing else, get a set of long tube intakes, retune, and call it a day. New high flow cats won’t be cost effective to go up .25”. The SS lines won’t be noticeable if you’re not pushing the car hard.

The clutch, FW, and HD CSC are probably the most practical mods listed but I would just wait until they’re required unless you have a hankering to drop extra cash.

My personal pick..sign up for some track coaching and go have a ton of fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2.2Lude:
Rochester (05-28-2021), rotarymike (06-02-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2.2Lude
It seems like you don’t even drive it much since it took planning to run through a tank of fuel for your tune.
That's pretty silly, and a little embarrassing, but you're not wrong. I had to actively burn through a full tank of 91 octane prior to filling up with 93 for the tune. Actually got 2 full tanks of 93 in before the tune, so the worry was unnecessary. But yeah, that was me. LOL

I'm putting these new Z1 CF Intakes on my list for a Black Friday purchase this year. Z1 always offers some pretty aggressive BF sales. Then Spring 2022 for the intake install and re-tune. And probably new rear tires and caliper painting that summer.

Plenty of time to mull things over, research, lock things in or change my mind.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-28-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Is it too soon to call DIBS on your clean and well taken care of R2C air intakes & Swift Springs??

If not....DIBS!!!
Old 06-01-2021, 07:09 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Meth injection

Brake master cylinder brace from Z1

E85
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts