G37 Sedan

Do I need camber arms for bc racing coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 02:31 AM
Inspiniti
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
KYB's fine...its just not an upgrade from stock is all. The factory shocks nor the KYB's are going to put up with the Swifts for too long. You'll just need to swap them out them every so often.

You know what tho...Swift is a great company and maybe you'll love the ride quality. And if your mind is made up, its made up.

To answer your shock(ing) questions...

There aren't any performance shocks available for the AWD. Its all factory or factory replacement. Out of what's available, KYB seems to be the most popular. Probably because of price and warranty. I'd be tempted to try the Sachs shocks...but..have no idea if they work well.

Koni yellows are available just for the RWD coupe. For some reason, Koni prices them at $1200 for a set (LOL).

BTW...$650CAD seems steep for springs, no? You live in the arctic circle or something? Gotta have a moose deliver it? Ice road truckers? Idk anything about Canada. Lmk.
they are the most expensive springs out there... most others are like 250-400 with tax and shipping. And the site I bought off had free Canadian shipping 😂 Theyre also the cheapest supplier of this specific spring in Canada that doesn’t charge 150+ to ship.
I can order them off American sites but after duties imports taxes and shipping AND conversion, it ends up being about 650-700... so no point. It amazing how something that says “269$” can so easily end up being 2.5x that when it’s gotta go to Canada.
I’m done in Ontario, by the way
im having a VERY hard time trying to get those shocks as well. Seems the only option is 950$ for all 4. If that’s the case, I will need to end up getting coils and selling the springs when my shocks go bust. Cuz there’s rlly no point tossing a grand for somem inferior. May as well double it and get somem decent. Hopefully the coils arrive in time before I do serious damage when my shocks do blow. I also wonder how much time I’ll have before that happens on my 120k KM (~75k miles) oem shocks. Any ideas?

The price shocked me as well, but didn’t wanna skimp out and save 200$ and sacrifice ride quality 🤷‍♂️
Old 02-12-2021, 07:19 AM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Lots of modification accounting going on up there.

My *guess is that the shocks go about 5-10K before they're no longer working properly.

Its just a guess.

Some peoples' brand new KYB's went 15K before they started noticing diminished ride quality.

Do a little research of your own so that I'm not tainting your decision.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:22 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Fwiw, I used my stock struts/springs until about 160k km. No idea how much life was left on them but other than being factory soft, they were fine when removed. Keep my contact info around and PM me when you sell your Swifts. I have BCs with the default springs (got them for $950 basically brand new off a guy on VQN) and I'd love to do the Swift upgrade. With the Swifts, I believe I'll get a stiffer ride from the springs and be able to reduce the stiffness on the struts.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:36 AM
Inspiniti
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gord27
Fwiw, I used my stock struts/springs until about 160k km. No idea how much life was left on them but other than being factory soft, they were fine when removed. Keep my contact info around and PM me when you sell your Swifts. I have BCs with the default springs (got them for $950 basically brand new off a guy on VQN) and I'd love to do the Swift upgrade. With the Swifts, I believe I'll get a stiffer ride from the springs and be able to reduce the stiffness on the struts.
Is that something you can do? I know bc coils have an upgrade to swift springs option. But I didn’t know if they’re specific springs that are different to the ones I’d get by ordering ONLY the springs.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
The Swift spring upgrade is widely offered on a lot of coilovers.

Swift say that their springs allow for a smoother stroke at the same spring rate. They are also more consistent and they have better corrosion proofing.

This doesn't mean that your BC come with swift lowering springs.

They're just offering the option of swapping out the BC spring for the same shape/size of swift branded spring. You can also choose a spring rate, as long as the shocks on the coilover will still be able to handle it.

The swift lowering springs you'd order to fit your stock shocks are completely different.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Inspiniti
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgens
The Swift spring upgrade is widely offered on a lot of coilovers.

Swift say that their springs allow for a smoother stroke at the same spring rate. They are also more consistent and they have better corrosion proofing.

This doesn't mean that your BC come with swift lowering springs.

They're just offering the option of swapping out the BC spring for the same shape/size of swift branded spring. You can also choose a spring rate, as long as the shocks on the coilover will still be able to handle it.

The swift lowering springs you'd order to fit your stock shocks are completely different.
that’s pretty much what I figured. Just when the other guy mentioned using my springs on his bc coils, I thought maybe he knew something I did not 😂 my plan was always to sell the springs when my oem shocks are done and then upgrade to coils and hopefully they arrive pretty quick so I don’t need to drive on broken shocks for too long.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:19 AM
blck-magic
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
If you're looking at over $2000 for coils, might as well save a bit more and go bags at this point...
Old 02-16-2021, 01:32 AM
Inspiniti
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blck-magic
If you're looking at over $2000 for coils, might as well save a bit more and go bags at this point...
absolutely not for a winter daily. Looked at bags and they’re cool, and it’s true they’re not THAT much more expensive. But the life span on bags is so short it’s not viable for a daily. And they’re incredibly expensive to upkeep if u do daily them. And they bust in the winter pretty damn hard. Completely out of the question for realiability reasons 😅😅
Old 02-16-2021, 10:05 AM
blck-magic
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Inspiniti
absolutely not for a winter daily. Looked at bags and they’re cool, and it’s true they’re not THAT much more expensive. But the life span on bags is so short it’s not viable for a daily. And they’re incredibly expensive to upkeep if u do daily them. And they bust in the winter pretty damn hard. Completely out of the question for realiability reasons 😅😅
Oh missed the part that you were up north.. that's a no go then ha