Sponsored by:

Lowered 2010 G37xS Sedan on IMPUL Springs / KYB GR2

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:49 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Lowered 2010 G37xS Sedan on IMPUL Springs / KYB GR2

Just as future reference, I figured I'd share that I had IMPUL springs (SF-76 / SR-76) and KYB GR-2's put on my xS and I'm super happy with the outcome. Funny that the back looks droopy but in reality the chassis height is perfect all around. Must be a wheel well illusion? Going to get it aligned soon.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The following users liked this post:
Said Amir (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 PM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks good.

How's the ride quality and do you know the ride height measurement fender to ground?
Old 05-31-2019, 08:23 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Rear doesn't look droopy at all. what tire specs are you running?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:35 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
This is gonna sound horrible but honestly I see little to no difference. I would agree no rear droop.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:41 PM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
You guys must be blind, rear has at least 1/2" drop and front is very minimal like 1/4"
Old 05-31-2019, 05:58 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

I didn't say it didn't looked dropped, i said it didn't look droopy
Old 06-02-2019, 06:07 AM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
Looks good.

How's the ride quality and do you know the ride height measurement fender to ground?
Thanks! I measured and it's 26 1/2 inches in the back and 27 1/2 inches in the front, which is weird to me. Wonder why the drop ended up that way since IMPUL suggests that there's supposed to be more of a drop in the front than the rear. Nonetheless, the ride quality is much improved to my liking. Stiffer but way far from jarring over bumps. Car also corners tighter.

Originally Posted by Hashim
Rear doesn't look droopy at all. what tire specs are you running?
You don't think so? After measuring (see above) the rear is about 1 inch lower it seems. As for wheel and tire specs, I'm running a squared setup: 18x9 +45 offset with bfgoodrich comp 2 a/s 255/45/18 tires

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
This is gonna sound horrible but honestly I see little to no difference. I would agree no rear droop.
That's what I was aiming for (little to difference). I love how it handles but not so much about the rear measuring lower. I wonder if something on install went wrong?
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 AM
-ZS-Carpenter
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's really nice. What was stock? 28.5" front 28" rear? That would be perfect for my sedan

Update after it's aligned and has settled, I'm guessing it levels out a bit.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:41 AM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by -ZS-Carpenter
That's really nice. What was stock? 28.5" front 28" rear? That would be perfect for my sedan

Update after it's aligned and has settled, I'm guessing it levels out a bit.
Not sure what stock was. I should have measured that beforehand. I’ll update after alignment — I doubt the front would drop another inch to level things out, but who knows.

Unlikely that the mechanic I use installed these backwards, right?
Old 06-02-2019, 10:23 AM
-ZS-Carpenter
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorg37xs
Not sure what stock was. I should have measured that beforehand. I’ll update after alignment — I doubt the front would drop another inch to level things out, but who knows.

I was going off my non sport height, I thought the X and Xs where the same ride height.

It won't drop an inch. I was thinking more like 1/4-1/2 max.

If it's these springs they couldn't be swapped https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/16299
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Thanks! I measured and it's 26 1/2 inches in the back and 27 1/2 inches in the front, which is weird to me. Wonder why the drop ended up that way since IMPUL suggests that there's supposed to be more of a drop in the front than the rear. Nonetheless, the ride quality is much improved to my liking. Stiffer but way far from jarring over bumps. Car also corners tighter.

You don't think so? After measuring (see above) the rear is about 1 inch lower it seems. As for wheel and tire specs, I'm running a squared setup: 18x9 +45 offset with bfgoodrich comp 2 a/s 255/45/18 tires

That's what I was aiming for (little to difference). I love how it handles but not so much about the rear measuring lower. I wonder if something on install went wrong?

A couple of things, the tire diameter that you are running is .29" greater than the stock 17s run so that can contribute to the appearance not being quite as low as it could be

Its actually very possible that the front springs were installed incorrectly...its not a matter of swapping them with the rears but if the fronts aren't seated correctly on installation they can cause the ride height to be wrong...there should be pictures/discussion on this in some of the very old Lowering spring DIY's illustrating the issue
Old 06-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The Sedan looks droopy in the rear by design, but isn't something you really notice until you get aftermarket wheels, start messing with the wheel offset & camber, and tweaking the ride height. If you were to set things up so you have an identical floor-to-fender measurement, the reality is you'll have a subtle rake going on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Most every lowering spring available will end up looking like that. AFAIK, the only exception are Swift Springs for the AWD Sedan. But it's all so subjective.

Dialing in exactly how you want this to look is the reason people get coil-overs.

Impossible. Front and rear springs are completely different.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-03-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Looks pretty good!

Another Anniversary Edition Sedan
My last 5 are 04505, Im in the quest of finding out how many there are active nowadays!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 PM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by -ZS-Carpenter
I was going off my non sport height, I thought the X and Xs where the same ride height.

It won't drop an inch. I was thinking more like 1/4-1/2 max.

If it's these springs they couldn't be swapped https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/16299
You're right, impossible to be installed backwards.

Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
A couple of things, the tire diameter that you are running is .29" greater than the stock 17s run so that can contribute to the appearance not being quite as low as it could be

Its actually very possible that the front springs were installed incorrectly...its not a matter of swapping them with the rears but if the fronts aren't seated correctly on installation they can cause the ride height to be wrong...there should be pictures/discussion on this in some of the very old Lowering spring DIY's illustrating the issue
The car has actually settled quite nicely now! Took about a month. It's in the shop now getting aligned, although it's really been driving great.

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Sedan looks droopy in the rear by design, but isn't something you really notice until you get aftermarket wheels, start messing with the wheel offset & camber, and tweaking the ride height. If you were to set things up so you have an identical floor-to-fender measurement, the reality is you'll have a subtle rake going on, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Most every lowering spring available will end up looking like that. AFAIK, the only exception are Swift Springs for the AWD Sedan. But it's all so subjective.

Dialing in exactly how you want this to look is the reason people get coil-overs.

Impossible. Front and rear springs are completely different.
You're right about installation! The front / rear height has actually balanced out over the past month, so no more worries there. I'm very impressed with how the car drives with the upper front tower bar, front/rear sways, KYB shocks and IMPUL springs. It's everything I imagined when planning this setup. Not too rough on the road, not too low, but an immense improvement in handling!

Originally Posted by BULL
Looks pretty good!

Another Anniversary Edition Sedan
My last 5 are 04505, Im in the quest of finding out how many there are active nowadays!
Thanks! Yeah, I've yet to see another one on the road besides mine (I'm in the Greater Boston area).
Old 01-26-2020, 10:12 AM
doctorg37xs
Registered Member

For the sake of closure / future internet searches, I figured I’d update this post. I first lowered the car on IMPUL springs 8 months ago and after everything settled, the back right wheel could not get into camber spec.

The ride was degrading noticeably, so I eventually had to purchase the SPC rear camber kit. I also put on 20mm spacers all around to compliment the SSR 18x9 +45 setup. Alignment is now to spec and the car feels incredibly tight, which is exactly what I was aiming for 8 months ago.

I’m wondering if new front control arms and/or front outer tie rods would help tighten up the steering feel even more?

Anyway, this car finally feels like a legit sports sedan. Here are some photos:

Quick Reply: Lowered 2010 G37xS Sedan on IMPUL Springs / KYB GR2