G37 Sedan

Inexpensive Cosmetic Mod Ideas

Old 03-16-2019, 10:05 PM
ScriptedCoupe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flipmode007
how does the vinyl wrap hold in the winter time? cuz where I m the winter is harsh and very cold now
The superwrap is the same thing as plasti dip. It’s a spray on and you’d treat it the same way. Peels off similar too. I believe it’s a little more durable. The more layers you put on the stronger it is. I’ve had my grill plastidipped for a few years now and dealt with snow, salt, power washing etc. No chipping or peeling with the plastidip still. As for the autodip/superwrap a friend of mine had it in his mirrors for a couple of months and they’ve held up well too so far.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:59 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by flipmode007
how does the vinyl wrap hold in the winter time? cuz where I m the winter is harsh and very cold now
Vinyl on my windows, roof, and mirrors through this winter season held up extremely well. Just gotta treat it like a painted surface especially when removing snow so it doesnt put a tear or scratch in it. When I got mine wrapped the shop gave me a bottle of wrap detailer you just spray on wipe off and it makes the wrap look like it was just installed. Haven’t had an issue with my dipped grille through the winter season either.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Itsjustag37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roof wrap mirror wrap wrap trunk spoiler plastidip wheels
Old 03-25-2019, 11:39 PM
ctng37
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ScriptedCoupe
There’s something called AutoDip or “superwrap” that’s been out for a while. It’s been at sema a few times. Mostly for rims and trims. I haven’t seen it do an entire car yet. t’s like Plasti dip but it’s considered “sprayable vinyl”. Sprays on and peels off the same. Only difference really is that it leaves a gloss finish to it instead of that matte finish. It’s like 12 bucks a can. If you have Instagram you can check them out: superwrapoffical or their website is getsuperwrap.com I’ll be ordering a couple cans soon myself I’ll post pics.
I've used AutoDip before on my grille. The color did not match the glossiness I wanted and since it was my first time spray painting, there was orange peel for days. I did go by their instructions for the number of coats but when I tried to peel it, the Autodip came off in very small chunks so it took me forever to remove. Even a pressure washer did not peel it off. I ended up using tweezers to carefully scrape it all off.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by ctng37
I've used AutoDip before on my grille. The color did not match the glossiness I wanted and since it was my first time spray painting, there was orange peel for days. I did go by their instructions for the number of coats but when I tried to peel it, the Autodip came off in very small chunks so it took me forever to remove. Even a pressure washer did not peel it off. I ended up using tweezers to carefully scrape it all off.
Did you let the bottles sit in warm water before use? Seems to be key for a smooth finish.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Did you let the bottles sit in warm water before use? Seems to be key for a smooth finish.
No, I did not. Another reason why it wasn't smooth along with my lack of experience spray painting. My main issue was the removal of the Autodip. I probably would've kept it if I didn't have extra black vinyl lying around.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:28 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts
The best cosmetic mod you can do for cheap is hands down the chrome window trim delete. It blows my mind Infiniti couldn't figure this out themselves. Imagine if these had a midnight package like the Nissan's got... would have been very popular I think.
The following users liked this post:
MurderdogQ (06-08-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 AM
ctng37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
The best cosmetic mod you can do for cheap is hands down the chrome window trim delete. It blows my mind Infiniti couldn't figure this out themselves. Imagine if these had a midnight package like the Nissan's got... would have been very popular I think.
+1 to that. I got a 5ftx3ft of vinyl wrap and ended up only wrapping the lower trims. The leftover was used for my grille and blacking out part of the chrome lip for my trunk spoiler. And I still have more left over even after doing my grille twice!
Old 03-27-2019, 02:15 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
1000% agree, I just dont get how you can make an oem midnight grille and thats it. I look at a stock G passing by on the drive to work here and there and it just doesnt even look like the same car most of the time.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Corprin

It’s not how old you are, it’s how old you feel!
is not the years, it's the mileage😉
Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Corprin
It’s not how old you are, it’s how old you feel!
Originally Posted by conkus805
is not the years, it's the mileage😉
I may be old, but fortunately I'm very immature.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I may be old, but fortunately I'm very immature.
physically I’m 74

mentally I’m 50

emotionally I’m 4... so I’m real great at parties.

The window trim chrome delete. I’d ghis just wrapping, is the bling only a skin? Or are there Nissan parts that replace the bling?