Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering G37x

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazex
Thanks everyone for the feedbacks! And that long informative post was awesome. I think I'll go with the Eibach that was mentioned but the other stuff seems like a must as well so I will look into it. And can I really use a 370z Sway bar to replace mine even though they are didn't models? Just wanted to clarify that .
2010 g37xs

370z Nismo rear bar.

same car.

Last edited by Corprin; 01-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Z34 (370Z) and V36 (G37) rear suspensions are exactly the same, differing only spring and roll bar rates. Any part from one will fit any other.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 AM
Corprin

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Z34 (370Z) and V36 (G37) rear suspensions are exactly the same, differing only spring and roll bar rates. Any part from one will fit any other.
Did you ever look to see if your 25.4mm rear bar had a blue stripe?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nope. It's currently sitting 75 miles away and I'm not sure when I'll see it next.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
For the spacer, I just used stuff laying around the garage. A 3/8" sheet of plastic. Cut out a large washer shape to sit above upper spacer. You could do lower spacer instead by just cutting the washer to make a split washer shape. Use tbe spacer as a template to trace onto plastic to cut to size.

I think I paid $8 for the sheet on Amazon for some other project.

I didn't have to get alignment kit. But even I did, I could do the same spacer trick in front, to bring it up just enough to balance lowered vs alignable. That would be a trial and error effort. Would help greatly if you had a lifetime alignment agreement (though there is usually a limit to how often you can realign).

The front spacer woukd go above the top mount. A triangle shaped spacer with three bolt holes.

With these spacers the amount of lift is about 1.5 - 2 times the spacer thickness. This is due to the suspension Motion Ratio. The control arm is a level, and tire is what provides the force. The spring is about half way between tire and pivot. The amount the level moves at end is more than the middle. So a spacer in the 'middle' would raise the car at the tire by more than spacer size.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Corprin

I would also disagree with the previous poster regarding progressive vs linear rate springs. Progressives do provide stiffer rates as you compress but this is a detriment to handling, balance, and predictably of the chassis. You are introducing significant variables through the stroke at each corner. If you are going for low and looks and keeping things at 7/10, go with progressive. If you are going for performance and driving up near the limit of adhesion, stick with a quality linear rate. That said, most drivers will never know the difference.. ymmv.

Absolutely correct. For the track, driving at the very limit, the inconsistency of progressive springs is a detrement. It just gets in the way.

That said, I suspect most of us aren't using our x models as track weapons. For the street, even for aggressively attacking your favorite backroad, progressive springs are not a bogeyman. We simply aren't spending enough time at the limit for it to matter or be noticeable.

Virtually any mod we make to our cars is a compromise in some way. Faster, but worse mileage. Firmer, but less comfortable. Etc. When the upside outweighs the downside, the mod is worth it. What is worth it for one won't be for another. That is ok. That is good.

For progressive springs, the upsides are more responsive feel, less body roll. Downsides are less predictability at the very edge of performance.

Its up to each one to decide for themselves if the upsides outweigh downside.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Virtually any mod we make to our cars is a compromise in some way.
True words.

However, there's no downside or compromise whatsoever with the RJM pedal and STS. Those two mods are pure upgrade. But this is a thread about the AWD G, no never mind about that. I'd claim the same win about swaybars (on the G), but there are people who swear to added harshness. I don't believe them. The only suspension mod that absolutely requires compromise is the transmission mount. It's an acquired taste.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

HaHa! Yes.

Well, even mods with almost no downsides still involve cost. Either monetary or time or both. For some, even when those costs are low, the upsides just aren't attractive enough to be compelling.

The resulting diversity is appreciated. Even mods that I would never do myself are still interesting.

Unless its idiotic cambered stance mods. Thats just moronic...
Old 01-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Unless its idiotic cambered stance mods. Thats just moronic...
Decades ago, Robert Heinlein introduced the phrase "grok" to the world. I think that applies here.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Corprin

Absolutely correct. For the track, driving at the very limit, the inconsistency of progressive springs is a detrement. It just gets in the way.

That said, I suspect most of us aren't using our x models as track weapons. For the street, even for aggressively attacking your favorite backroad, progressive springs are not a bogeyman. We simply aren't spending enough time at the limit for it to matter or be noticeable.

Virtually any mod we make to our cars is a compromise in some way. Faster, but worse mileage. Firmer, but less comfortable. Etc. When the upside outweighs the downside, the mod is worth it. What is worth it for one won't be for another. That is ok. That is good.

For progressive springs, the upsides are more responsive feel, less body roll. Downsides are less predictability at the very edge of performance.

Its up to each one to decide for themselves if the upsides outweigh downside.
when I go and flog on my x, I do drive at the limit... anything less is just commuting :-).

I was reading previous posts and saw a commonly held misconception. Swift springs for stock type strut/shock are progressive, not linear.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Really? I was set on the swifts, except they did not appear to be progressive, which I wanted because of the aforementioned attributes.

So I set about to research if the Swift x springs are indeed straight or progressive. The only info I found said they were straight.

How did you discover they are progressive?
Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Corprin

Really? I was set on the swifts, except they did not appear to be progressive, which I wanted because of the aforementioned attributes.

So I set about to research if the Swift x springs are indeed straight or progressive. The only info I found said they were straight.

How did you discover they are progressive?

Just by looking at them.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:25 PM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Just by looking at them.
Those have an obvious progression. But when I searched all the photos I found of Swift x springs showed a different spring. One that looked straight.

Often sites selling a product use a generic photo, instead of the actual photo. So I looked for real photos like from a diy, etc. All I found showed a different spring than what is in that photo.

I wonder why its a common misperception that swift x springs are straight if they look like that.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Corprin

Those have an obvious progression. But when I searched all the photos I found of Swift x springs showed a different spring. One that looked straight.

Often sites selling a product use a generic photo, instead of the actual photo. So I looked for real photos like from a diy, etc. All I found showed a different spring than what is in that photo.

I wonder why its a common misperception that swift x springs are straight if they look like that.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...dan-4n907.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ngs-4n907.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...37x-sedan.html

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...37x-sedan.html

... because some vendor said they were linear, and being the internet, it’s what people wanted to hear, so it’s now fact?

Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Car Analogy
Registered Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that!

Quick Reply: Lowering G37x