Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car started and stalled when warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 AM
derekjl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car started and stalled when warm

2013 G37x sedan, 53k miles, have owned since 15k miles. For the very first time tonight, the car started and immediately stalled. This was after a 20 minute or so drive and being parked for about 20 minutes at the grocery store. This only happened once. I tried to replicate it several times but it started normally after that. Could this be a sign of the common dirty throttle bodies? If so, will it get worse over time? I'm not sure if it's possible that I just didn't have my foot on the brake long enough or if it is in fact the start of a problem? As far as I know, the throttle bodies have never been cleaned and I've never had any other engine issues whatsoever. I changed the air filters at 30k miles and plan on doing so again. Could dirty filters cause this? Thanks for any help...
Old 12-11-2018, 01:13 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Check in the Tech/Engine, Drivetrain & Forced Induction folder. Quite a few threads in there about stalling.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:47 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
A few other members have reported similar problems including myself.

check out this thread .

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-and-forced-induction/290772-2011-g37x-time-for-a-tune-up-shutting-off-after-start.html
Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I had a similar issue n it only had twice, but basically drove somewhere n parked n then somewhere else n parked n when I got in n started her up the rpms dropped REAL low n I also noticed my idle would dropped below 500 rpms briefly when sitting at a red light or stop sign. So I checked my CAI filter n they where clean so i had my mechanic clean my throttle bodies n do the whole 3 steps reset thing n now everything is back to normal. The dealer charges $280 to clear the throttle bodies but my mechanic did that n a full oil change for 150, now cleaning your throttle bodies isn't hard BUT the reset procedure can be a nightmare. I've read all different threads explaining about their experiences n some poll have been successful n some ppl have really messed up there **** so it wasn't something I wanted to mess up even though it's not hard. Researchers throttle clean n see if the issue fits. Good luck. Also have 70k on the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 AM
ross7778

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also happened to me a few times after a short time being parked.

2012 G37x with 60k miles.

I replaced the battery, engine air filters and cleaned the MAF sensors but it didn’t help.

I suspect the throttle bodies need cleaning but I haven’t had time to do it.

That was about a month ago but the issue has disappeared for now.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:05 PM
Nater1424

Check the MAF sensor. Changed mine, problem solved.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ross7778
Also happened to me a few times after a short time being parked.

2012 G37x with 60k miles.

I replaced the battery, engine air filters and cleaned the MAF sensors but it didn’t help.

I suspect the throttle bodies need cleaning but I haven’t had time to do it.

That was about a month ago but the issue has disappeared for now.
had the same exact problem, got my throttle bodies cleaned n everything went back to normal.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 PM
Londorh

I have had this issue as well. I would go into a store or something and come back about 15 or 20 minutes later and the car would start, rpms would drop, and then it would shut off. This recently happened to me about a month ago. I was on lunch at work with a few coworkers and we drove my car. We come out and the car starts, rpms dip, and then it shuts off. I started it 3 more times and it does the same thing. The 5th time I started it and gave it some gas and it stayed on. The service engine soon light came on and was on for maybe 2 weeks and then just went away on its own. My G in particular acts weird and when I take it to infiniti they never find anything wrong. I'm at 76k miles.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:39 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Londorh
I have had this issue as well. I would go into a store or something and come back about 15 or 20 minutes later and the car would start, rpms would drop, and then it would shut off. This recently happened to me about a month ago. I was on lunch at work with a few coworkers and we drove my car. We come out and the car starts, rpms dip, and then it shuts off. I started it 3 more times and it does the same thing. The 5th time I started it and gave it some gas and it stayed on. The service engine soon light came on and was on for maybe 2 weeks and then just went away on its own. My G in particular acts weird and when I take it to infiniti they never find anything wrong. I'm at 76k miles.
check air filter, clean MAF sensors n throttle bodys
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
check air filter, clean MAF sensors n throttle bodys
That's what they did on g35 driver.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
That's what they did on g35 driver.
give it a shot man, might just do the trick.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 PM
Londorh

I'm going to give this a shot. Honestly I think my G is just that one bad one that might've been in the batch when they were originally built.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

I'm going to give this a shot. Honestly I think my G is just that one bad one that might've been in the batch when they were originally built.
what makes you say that you have a bad G??
Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Londorh

Originally Posted by Redgoyabean
what makes you say that you have a bad G??
Let me start by saying I love the car. But so far my check engine has popped on about 4 times in the last 2 years. By the time I get it to the dealership it magically goes away and infiniti cant find anything wrong. Earlier this year my interior has started rattling like crazy. The memory seats work sometimes. One day I'll press the button and it works. Somedays I'll press it and nothing happens. Same thing with the steering column. Somedays I try to move it up or down and it works others times it does nothing. My transmission also spends most of it's time confused and in the wrong gear. My last 2 cars were maxima's. I had a 97 se limited and a 03 se. Sometimes I feel like my 03 se was a better car. I had the q50 3.0t as a loaner for a few days while getting service earlier this year and I wasnt really impressed with it. I liked it but I didnt love it. I never saw check engine lights on either of my maxima's and they had way more miles. I love the G which is why I haven't gotten rid of it but mine in particular isn't that great.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Let me start by saying I love the car. But so far my check engine has popped on about 4 times in the last 2 years. By the time I get it to the dealership it magically goes away and infiniti cant find anything wrong. Earlier this year my interior has started rattling like crazy. The memory seats work sometimes. One day I'll press the button and it works. Somedays I'll press it and nothing happens. Same thing with the steering column. Somedays I try to move it up or down and it works others times it does nothing. My transmission also spends most of it's time confused and in the wrong gear. My last 2 cars were maxima's. I had a 97 se limited and a 03 se. Sometimes I feel like my 03 se was a better car. I had the q50 3.0t as a loaner for a few days while getting service earlier this year and I wasnt really impressed with it. I liked it but I didnt love it. I never saw check engine lights on either of my maxima's and they had way more miles. I love the G which is why I haven't gotten rid of it but mine in particular isn't that great.
lol sorry I asked lol

Quick Reply: Car started and stalled when warm