G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
All tires. Luckily, buying new tires is cheaper than replacing your car. DWS is a viable option for the occasional snow, but there isn't a single "no season" tire that beats the worst winter/snow tire.

Having a set of winter/snow tires is the best decision you can make, and at very little long term cost. You have 2 sets of tires that both wear out half as quick. In the summer and winter you have the best performance and safety possible.

I use Michelin Xi3's in the cold months and Michelin Pilot 4S in the warm months and would recommend that combo any day. My BMW is RWD with a couple inches of clearance to the front splitter and the car has no issues.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Having a set of winter/snow tires is the best decision you can make, and at very little long term cost. You have 2 sets of tires that both wear out half as quick. In the summer and winter you have the best performance and safety possible.
Sure, but OP is in Atlanta. I think dedicated winter tires is a little overkill that far south. All season tires would be a more reasonable compromise.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Sure, but OP is in Atlanta. I think dedicated winter tires is a little overkill that far south. All season tires would be a more reasonable compromise.
Exactly, which is why I suggested DWS as a viable option for occasional snow. The rest of what I said remains true. On a side note, occasional snow doesn’t mean it’s any less dangerous when it does. Those areas are far more unprepared and it can take significant amounts of time to clear the roads. It only takes one bad day...
The following users liked this post:
Overboard (01-25-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks everyone! This is my first time in winter not having a usual suv/crossover. I purchased max performance summer tires a few months ago too - Potenza S-04 pole position. Truth be told I really like the coupe. I work with the trunk space I have and so far since I owned the car (9 months), only had to put someone in the back seat once.

I'll stick it out with this car and if I ever decide to move over to a state that has real winters I'll most definitely get myself some solid winter tires. Just driving around my complex in summer tires was like ice skating! I like the idea of the sand bags too. Solid advice!

And very true about GA not being too prepared for this weather for the most part I was watching the news and saw so many mustangs/other rwd vehicles stranded out on hills. :-\
Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by iddqd
Thanks everyone! This is my first time in winter not having a usual suv/crossover. I purchased max performance summer tires a few months ago too - Potenza S-04 pole position. Truth be told I really like the coupe. I work with the trunk space I have and so far since I owned the car (9 months), only had to put someone in the back seat once.

I'll stick it out with this car and if I ever decide to move over to a state that has real winters I'll most definitely get myself some solid winter tires. Just driving around my complex in summer tires was like ice skating! I like the idea of the sand bags too. Solid advice!

And very true about GA not being too prepared for this weather for the most part I was watching the news and saw so many mustangs/other rwd vehicles stranded out on hills. :-\
Where I live, a suburb of Illinois, they typically clear the streets so fast I have to make a concerted effort to drive in the snow.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:38 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Where I live, a suburb of Illinois, they typically clear the streets so fast I have to make a concerted effort to drive in the snow.
Oh wow. Over here they declare a state of emergency and urge everyone to stay inside!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Oh wow. Over here they declare a state of emergency and urge everyone to stay inside!
The local news is the best. The news lady on our NBC affiliate actually said something like "the white spots you see behind me is unmelted snow"
Old 01-19-2018, 05:01 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
LOL They would have flipped if they saw some of the roads I was driving on the other day. I do remember when I lived in Washington (state) we got a dusting of snow and they shut school down. My mom went out to go to the store since we were going to be home for the day and the neighbor was telling her she was nuts for going out in this weather. She just laughed at them and went on her way. The thing they didn't realize was the year prior we had dealt with the blizzard of 93 and had dealt with FEET of snow, not just a 1/4".
Old 01-21-2018, 06:37 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
All tires. Luckily, buying new tires is cheaper than replacing your car. DWS is a viable option for the occasional snow, but there isn't a single "no season" tire that beats the worst winter/snow tire.

I use Michelin Xi3's in the cold months and Michelin Pilot 4S in the warm months and would recommend that combo any day. My BMW is RWD with a couple inches of clearance to the front splitter and the car has no issues.
I agree 100%! I had all-seasons when I had my G37, but quickly hated that setup when the snow hit. They didn't provide enough traction when encountering more than 2" of snow. I will never buy all-season tires again. Strictly winter/snow and summer performance.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:29 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the xs sedan w/ 235/50/18 x-ice on stockies. Now, compared to my summer setup, I have less traction obviously. But with snow mode on, careful steering, and great winter tires, I never feel worried. Canada tested, btw. I've driven in some bad snowstorms with no issues.

Given that, I have managed to lose traction before, and I have taken turns too hard and skid a little. This is in a fair amount of snow where your limitation isn't AWD or tires even, because the snow is so deep it's irrelevant unless you have chains. Coming from a RWD mustang, the difference is very significant.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Scarab Armor
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey guys/gals! I have my 13' G37s 7AT that I super love daily driving. I live over in ATL and we had a little bit of snow/small ice today and I hate doing it, but I called in sick to work. I tried a tad bit of driving around but did a little fish tailing despite not doing sudden movements. This is the first RWD vehicle I ever had and I previously drove FWD small suvs/crossovers and had zero issues especially during that rough winterstorm we had years ago.
I live in Atlanta as also. I managed pretty well in the snow with my RWD sedan. Traction control was fully engaged and I never felt out of control. It does take some getting used to and it is quite an adjustment going from FWD. Either way you go, you definitely have to be cautious of the other drivers out there. You know how crazy Atlanta traffic can get. Happy hunting
Old 01-22-2018, 05:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^G37S or G37? What tires?
Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM
RxRyanM
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarab Armor
I live in Atlanta as also. I managed pretty well in the snow with my RWD sedan. Traction control was fully engaged and I never felt out of control. It does take some getting used to and it is quite an adjustment going from FWD. Either way you go, you definitely have to be cautious of the other drivers out there. You know how crazy Atlanta traffic can get. Happy hunting
I'm about 5 hours north and also managed pretty well in my S sedan. Put on my A/S tires a couple weeks ago and, once I get traction, it goes pretty well.

Then, naturally, turned TC off and....had a little fun

Originally Posted by Jsolo
^^G37S or G37? What tires?
J, I have an S and Cooper CS5 tires.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Been going through the ritual since 2001. Late November or early Dec winter tires go on, sometime in March they come off.

Considering how little snow you do get, you could get by with all season tires perhaps. Michelin pilot sport a/s+ ?
I live in Atlanta and I agree, I have pilot sport a/s 3+ on my x. Does the trick, we don’t get much heavy snow so I often find myself adventuring out in the snow days to have some fun. Even the recent snow the OP was describing haha. I think the rwd with some better all season tires is more than adequate. Those a/s 3+ tires on the x are impressive and I highly recommend. They aren’t super expensive either.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I've driven my lowered x through 7 years of Canadian winters...it plows thorugh the snow like a tank on snow tires....the lowest point on the G is actually the awd transfer case which is a very small spot and is why its ground clearance in is specs appears slightly lower than the other G's...the rest of the car does not otherwise have terrible ground clearance...winter tires in the winter and pilot super sports in the summer and I trust it over an SUV for stability...I have to admit sometimes when the snows real deep I find driving with the traction control off is more predictable and controlled when I want to be able to drive at normal speeds...part of "normal" winter driving is being able to predict where the traction is going to come and go and having the power on tap ready to go exactly when you need it I think

Quick Reply: How well do G37x perform in snow and has anyone gone from coupe to sedan?