G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you feel about the G's gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 PM
filipinoy

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was getting about 12-13mpg mainly city driving
Old 12-31-2017, 11:32 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Happy New Year guys. The VQ37 is an older engine that does not get very good gas mileage and decent performance, but at least it is safe to say that this engine is bullet proof and very reliable. I sometimes think that I should have just gotten a V8 car that has better performance with the same running cost as the G, but this car is hard to get rid off. The driving experience is a 10 out of 10 and that for me over powers the car's flaws. Sad to see though that Nissan Infiniti is facing out the VQ37. I honestly hope they do not do this because it is still a great engine.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:35 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ethan10502
I drive about 25 miles a day roundtrip to and from work with 50/50 hwy/fwy driving and average about 19mpg. When I do take it to cali every once in awhile and cruise at 85-90mph I get around 27-30mpg. Its crazy when my range shows 600 miles on a full tank,
Wow that is the first time I ever heard a G getting above 27 mpg. Are you using the G's computer or do the old division by hand calculation? I also live in CA and struggle to get above 24 lol!
Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
Happy New Year guys. The VQ37 is an older engine that does not get very good gas mileage and decent performance, but at least it is safe to say that this engine is bullet proof and very reliable. I sometimes think that I should have just gotten a V8 car that has better performance with the same running cost as the G, but this car is hard to get rid off. The driving experience is a 10 out of 10 and that for me over powers the car's flaws. Sad to see though that Nissan Infiniti is facing out the VQ37. I honestly hope they do not do this because it is still a great engine.
I have a 2011 G37 and the thought of my oil gallery gaskets failing still haunts me pretty often. I wish I did more research before purchase. I would have aimed for a 2012+ model.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:08 PM
ethan10502
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that is the first time I ever heard a G getting above 27 mpg. Are you using the G's computer or do the old division by hand calculation? I also live in CA and struggle to get above 24 lol!
I look at the Gs computer to see what it'll give me but I also do a manual calculation when I fill up to get more accurate numbers because the computer likes to lie. The last time I went to cali though I never got past 27mpg.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:08 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by qmantran
I have a 2011 G37 and the thought of my oil gallery gaskets failing still haunts me pretty often. I wish I did more research before purchase. I would have aimed for a 2012+ model.
Never heard of such issue. What exactly happened and how much money did it cost to repair? I always read VQs to be one of the most reliable motors out there. I mean it is used in a lot of Nissan Products. I hope you sorted things out and all is well.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:12 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ethan10502
I look at the Gs computer to see what it'll give me but I also do a manual calculation when I fill up to get more accurate numbers because the computer likes to lie. The last time I went to cali though I never got past 27mpg.
Haha the computer loves to lie. I also do manual calculations but I look at the computer readings to see if my mileage increases or decreases in my trips. VQs are really thirsty V6 beasts. A buddy of mine has a Nissan frontier. I believe it is a 4.0 VQ V6 and it drinks gas like a Titan. He told me he should have gotten a Titan instead because it had more horse power and torque and uses about the same amount of fuel lol.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:37 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Never heard of such issue. What exactly happened and how much money did it cost to repair? I always read VQs to be one of the most reliable motors out there. I mean it is used in a lot of Nissan Products. I hope you sorted things out and all is well.
I'm suprised you are unaware of this issue. It's a very well known issue with these VQ motors up to 2011. Affects 370z and G37 coupes/sedans. Not sure if it applies to VQ35 motors.

The rear timing cover gaskets would fail and cause the engine to lose oil pressure. Car runs into limp mode and you'll get a check engine light.

It's a very labor intensive task to attempt to fix yourself, especially if you don't have the time, tools or knowledge to do it.

I've heard dealerships charge somewhere around the ~$2,500++ for this repair.

The entire front end of the car must be removed. As in head lights, bumper, radiator, condenser, bumper support. EVERYTHING. Dealers charge 12-18 hours labor I think.

This hasn't happened to me yet, but just knowing that my car is a 2011 is enough to haunt me. I know that it's possible my car will have this issue down the road...

Last edited by qmantran; 01-02-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Pretty sure 2011 was the last model year with that problem, and it was specific to the VQ37HR. Starting 2012, Nissan switched to a metal gasket for the rear timing cover. But yeah... owning a G37 before 2012 is a gamble as to whether or not the timing gasket will hold up over time (no pun).

Usually it's Newt going all Chicken Little on this topic.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-02-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Pretty sure 2011 was the last model year with that problem, and it was specific to the VQ37HR. Starting 2012, Nissan switched to a metal gasket for the rear timing cover. But yeah... owning a G37 before 2012 is a gamble as to whether or not the timing gasket will hold up over time (no pun).

Usually it's Newt going all Chicken Little on this topic.
Thanks for sharing. I am glad that issue wont happen to my car lol. I never really heard of issues with 2013 onward and I hope this car will last a long time.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ even on pre-2012 VQ37HR's, the timing cover gasket failure issue is not a given. far from it. when my dealer did my repair under warranty in ~2015/16, the service manager said i was only the 2nd or 3rd such warranty claim in their history.

is it a known issue with the VQ37? sure. is it common? no. is it over-reported on this forum? you bet. just like the CSC issue and several others...still, it's always good to be aware and have knowledge on the matter in case you are faced with the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by canucklehead:
Lego_Maniac (01-03-2018), Rochester (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
is it a known issue with the VQ37? sure. is it common? no. is it over-reported on this forum? you bet. just like the CSC issue and several others...still, it's always good to be aware and have knowledge on the matter in case you are faced with the problem.
I completely agree with your logic, canucklehead. And add the rear diff bushing to that list.

However, just like you with the timing gasket, I was one of those poor slobs who's CSC blew without even 20k miles on the car, so my head says don't worry, while my gut scares me into thinking I'm a sitting duck.

But you're still right. Absolutely right. Statistical anomalies.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-03-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:43 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
The computer is horribly inaccurate when doing hand calculation. Its amazing how inaccurate it is.
Which is strange, as my Z's computer was pretty accurate. Maybe it's a manual vs auto thing.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ i get decent readouts as well. not perfect, but close enough to be in the ballpark by the end of the tank once the averaging is somewhat reasonable. hand calcs, when i care to do them which isn't often, are always within a few 1/10's of the computer. works for me.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Helikido

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmantran
I'm in the same boat as well. But the way I cope with it is that there are massive amounts of VQ37 engines in pre-2011 Infiniti and 370z cars that have made it to very high mileage whatsoever. More so, although its a known issue, it's still rare. It doesn't occur no where near as often as one would think. I know this because everyone and their mother screams "Infiniti" is reliable despite this known "issue".

As for the thread...Low key I'm a little disappointed that our MPG is v8 mustang and Camaro territory, with 100 less HP. I struggle to get anything about 25 MPG on the freeway only, which is normal I guess when I have a G37S. But jeez, it's very painful to see my car revving at 2700 RPM going 75 in 7th gear, when a Nissan altima does it at a much lower sub 2000 rpm. More so, its extremely annoying when I shift from 6th to 7th and the ratio difference is barely anything. Quite literally, the 6th and 7th gear can just be combined to be one gear....there's no need for the 7th. Nissan should have really made that 7th gear a real over drive gear that brings the RPM's down at highway speed. Absolutely no reason to be wasting gas like that...

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the G's gas mileage?