Sponsored by:

Engine Bay Idea - Back Panel Blank

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 03:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Lightbulb Engine Bay Idea - Back Panel Blank

Had some fun teasing another member about his unattended engine bay, and that got me thinking that I haven't done anything here in some time.

Last winter, I got some P2M hose clamps all around (love em), and I took apart the plastic trim at each firewall corner, wrapping the vertical pieces in CF vinyl. But really, there's not a whole lot of detail in the G's engine bay. Not sure what to do next, if anything.

Then I had this idea, and thought I'd toss it out there and see where it goes. You know that center-back section that is split into 6 rectangles because of the design of the supporting fins? There's nothing to look at here, and more importantly, it's a total b1tch to clean... hard to reach, and impossible to get into the creases. You have to go after things with a flat-head and a microfiber towel, and even then, it sucks.

See it below, top dead center?

If you look up close, observe the retaining clips at each corner. (You can also see the dirt collected there, but meh.)

I'm thinking to myself: why can't there be a panel there, held in place by these two clips? If there were, it could (maybe) create continuity by extending the two sides, bringing them together with matching matte black. It could also be a platform for something... such as the INFINITI letter badges I have left over from Springtime's project on the trunk.

Certainly some kind of fabrication project here. Not sure if I've the skills (or motivation) to pursue it. But thought we could talk about it and see what comes of that.

[edit]

Done, almost four months later. See comment #73:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4190500

Last edited by Rochester; 11-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
I like that idea! Def looks like something belongs there. Interested to see how it turns out... if you take on the project.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:29 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
hmm i was thinking it might be easier to extend those panels you carbon fiber wrapped. like turn it into one big piece. instead on making a panel that those clips would affix in place. but i dont have my car anymore so i cant go see if that idea would work or not.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
hmm i was thinking it might be easier to extend those panels you carbon fiber wrapped. like turn it into one big piece. instead on making a panel that those clips would affix in place. but i dont have my car anymore so i cant go see if that idea would work or not.
Thinking outside the box... cool. However, those panels are actually more complex than you would think, and shaped to a particular mold.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:40 PM
hurleyguys

how deep is that rectangular area and how far do those fins come out? can you fab an L shaped panel the would fit behind those clips?

i was thinking if the panel was in front of those clips it would be a PITA to install and remove that panel if you needed to.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
how deep is that rectangular area and how far do those fins come out? can you fab an L shaped panel the would fit behind those clips?

i was thinking if the panel was in front of those clips it would be a PITA to install and remove that panel if you needed to.
All good questions that I don't have quick answers for.

Clip access is a totally valid consideration. Damn. LOL

Or if two mounting brackets were applied, and then a panel... velco?

Last edited by Rochester; 12-01-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:30 PM
hurleyguys

i didn't think of that either. a bracket is a good idea. but def ups the complexity more.

hmm let me think about it more and i will get back to you.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I took some approximate measurements today. Edge to edge, the space is 12.5" wide, and 2" tall.

For context, the INFINITI badge letters are a 12" wide design. Just throwing that out there, no particular reason.

However, if you look at those two clips along a profile, you'll see that they overlap the line where I want to put a panel, which is problematic. Plus, the clip design itself is raised on the bottom, so it doesn't really lend itself to a piggy-back. Now, what I *could* do I suppose is cut off the raised area where the clips are, and just use the holes for mounting with nut & bolt, rather than the OEM clips. That could end up pretty sloppy... IDK.

Adding to the complexity, I'd be wanting some kind of lower edge box-trim, to match each side. And would be slipping on a section of rubber molding to the top, which would connect the two pieces of molding on each side. That would be neat.

In any event, none of this is an easy fab job. Probably easier if I had a 3D printer.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was trolling through Walmart and Home Depot, looking at plastic containers. Some of the bins come with a lid which could maybe satisfy that lower lip requirement. However, before I start buying plastic things and hack into them, I should probably work on establishing a template.

And when I do start hacking into plastic, I should probably buy a Dremel tool.

Anyway, still thinking about this idea. Will probably be thinking about it all Winter.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Went back to Walmart a month later, thinking I'd pick up that plastic bin I was scoping out for this project, only to discover they completely replaced most of the containers with a different design. (Which sucks)

I think perhaps supply lines for stuff like plastic containers is a fluid thing. Lesson learned for the next time I run across something that fits the bill for this project.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Entcee
Premier Member

Received 123 Likes on 80 Posts
They do it to try an get more money (my guess). If you purchased a few bins, and have one break, or simply need another one... And if you are like me and want matching items, you have to re-buy all the bins.

They do this with towels too. Daughter stained the towel with makeup? Sorry can't just replace the 1. Either have to have a mismatched towel or buy a complete new set.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Jeezer
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You've piqued my interest with this one. I'm going to look at this when I get home and see what I can come up with.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jeezer
You've piqued my interest with this one. I'm going to look at this when I get home and see what I can come up with.
Cool. Have at it.

What I'm thinking is finding a plastic lid for a storage container, so that if you cut it and used the lip as the bottom edge of this piece, for continuity (and rigidity). Needs to be flat, though... not curved. And the lip needs to compliment the design.

Figure the material color is irrelevant, prime and paint with satin black. And for the top, buy the length of OEM weatherstrip that's along the entire width of the back of the engine bay, cut to fit.

I guess I need to make more of an effort, and go on a hunt with department stores and home stores, etc. Because like I said, I was pretty sure I found a good candidate at Walmart last month. But that ship has sailed.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:56 PM
hurleyguys

with your new pics rochester. it looks like there is a little space you can fit a bracket onto the top of the battery and brake housing(?). like right where it make a 90 degree bend. if you fab a U shaped bracket that will fit over the plastic housing part, then affix a plastic panel that hangs off the metal bracket and rests on top of the clips.

i attached a quick paint sketch of my idea. not sure how secure it will be and its prob the most ghetto way of making it.

if the clips were more recessed or stuck out more. we might be able to fab an L shaped panel to fit into the existing hole and reuse the clips. since its right inline it makes it a little more difficult.

hmm i will keep thinking about, but maybe someone has a genius idea.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Bay Idea - Back Panel Blank-g37-idea.png  
Old 01-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Had some fun teasing another member about his unattended engine bay, and that got me thinking that I haven't done anything here in some time.

Last winter, I got some P2M hose clamps all around (love em), and I took apart the plastic trim at each firewall corner, wrapping the vertical pieces in CF vinyl. But really, there's not a whole lot of detail in the G's engine bay. Not sure what to do next, if anything.

Then I had this idea, and thought I'd toss it out there and see where it goes. You know that center-back section that is split into 6 rectangles because of the design of the supporting fins? There's nothing to look at here, and more importantly, it's a total b1tch to clean... hard to reach, and impossible to get into the creases. You have to go after things with a flat-head and a microfiber towel, and even then, it sucks.

See it below, top dead center?

If you look up close, observe the retaining clips at each corner. (You can also see the dirt collected there, but meh.)

I'm thinking to myself: why can't there be a panel there, held in place by these two clips? If there were, it could (maybe) create continuity by extending the two sides, bringing them together with matching matte black. It could also be a platform for something... such as the INFINITI letter badges I have left over from Springtime's project on the trunk.

Certainly some kind of fabrication project here. Not sure if I've the skills (or motivation) to pursue it. But thought we could talk about it and see what comes of that.
Here's a draft look. Still on first cup of joe. I like your idea.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Idea - Back Panel Blank