Guys need help: Front left fender crash

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:04 AM
sid37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Guys need help: Front left fender crash

Hello Everyone,

Owner of a 2013 Infiniti G37x here.

So, sad story today: my friend crashed my g37x in the parking lot into a pole. The front left fender is damaged along with the driver side headlight casing. Otherwise, the car is perfectly operable. Even the headlight turns on.
(Find pic attached). It's my first time being in a car accident so Im quite lost.

--> Need help as to what kind of repairs Im looking at

--> Need recommendation as to whether to go through insurance or to get it done myself. I have full insurance. My deductible is 1000$ and Im worried about an increase in my premiums. (Friend is helping with payments whatever might be required).

--> So the headlight still works, only the top glass is broken. Will I have to replace the whole headlight assembly?

--> Should I buy the parts myself before heading to a body shop?

--> I live in Evanston (North Chicago), so Im also looking for recommendations for body shops.

Thank you very much all, any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Front Driver Side Fender Damage

Last edited by sid37; 09-24-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
the bumper looks salvageable, fender and headlight are obviously ruined. Hood may be bent since it looks like the fender pushed into it. Can't tell if the door is damaged.

If your friend is willing to pay then i'd say dont go through insurance.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:50 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
since your friend wrecked it have him pay for all the damages. why even use your insurance? head to the infiniti dealer and ask for a infiniti factory certified body shop and have them run you a quote. then have your friend flip the bill and pay for your rental, its the least he can do after wrecking it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by crookncastle
since your friend wrecked it have him pay for all the damages. why even use your insurance? head to the infiniti dealer and ask for a infiniti factory certified body shop and have them run you a quote. then have your friend flip the bill and pay for your rental, its the least he can do after wrecking it.

^this.

Why should you take the hit for something your friend did? Have him pay for the damages and don't go through insurance. Go to several reputable body shops and get estimates. Don't buy the parts yourself unless you really know what you're doing.

Next time, don't let friends drive your car. It's not worth the hassle when something bad happens. Easy to lose friends that way. You're probably looking at around $3000-4000 for a proper repair.

If you go through insurance, there will be a possibility it will show up on Carfax, losing resale value. Don't use insurance unless you absolutely have to.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 09-24-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Sid37, I also see rash on the rim. If that was caused by the hit, then you may want inspect the rim, front suspension area and possible alignment.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Should be able to find a replacement headlight on ebay, in the $300 range vs. about $900+ new, and save the old headlight since the internals are working.

Damage otherwise doesn't look too bad although getting a paint match on moonlight white can be a challenge, might look into a sport bumper while you're getting this done.

G/L w/ this, and hope it gets back to "as-new" shape.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:51 PM
sid37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot, Samaritans. Im glad this forum exists with you all. All the advice and support helps a lot. Never going to let anyone else drive my car again. Lesson learned.

Now just need to get some good work done and get back to driving. The plan was that if the total work to a respectable degree can be done for $2000, will just pay cash.

I went to the body shop today and the guy quoted me $4300 !!!!

- $480 for new Bumper ( the guy said the connections between the bumper, fender, and light are broken, so bumper needs to be replaced)

-$400 for new fender (legit)

- $1300 for a new headlight. (LT headlamp assy w/o sport trim AIM headlamps)

+ 2300 for labor spread over one week. He will repaint the entire damaged side of the car for paint color match.

The body shop said to just start a claim and they will convince the insurance folk to pony up this much.

Does this seem legit ? What can be saved ? Do you think Insurance is going to pay up for all this or are they gonna skimp ?

Thanks blnewt, mathnerd88, crookncastle, iCrap. Will ask about alignment Bravo at.

Last edited by sid37; 09-25-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
New factory parts get expensive in a hurry, that quote sounds about right and good that he wants to paint the larger area to get a good match/blend. There are places you can save money like that headlight, but other places where brand new is the best and insist on OEM Infiniti body parts, that way you're assured of proper fit & finish.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Before you go through your insurance, you should consider having your friend just use his policy. Car insurance doesn't just cover your car, but also rental cars and others where you have permission to use a different car. Your friend would be out his premium, but that's a more affordable and equitable solution for a accident that was his fault.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:35 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dkmura
Before you go through your insurance, you should consider having your friend just use his policy. Car insurance doesn't just cover your car, but also rental cars and others where you have permission to use a different car. Your friend would be out his premium, but that's a more affordable and equitable solution for a accident that was his fault.
This depends on state. In NJ, insurance follows the car, not the person. I believe only for rental cars you are allowed to use your own insurance.

If his buddy doesn't own a car and have car insurance, then it is up to the OP's insurance.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 09-26-2017 at 01:50 PM.