Sponsored by:

Loose metal tray sound after getting sideswiped

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:10 AM
hozilla
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose metal tray sound after getting sideswiped

I just acquired my car at the beginning of this month and I've already had the misfortune of being in an accident.

Yesterday morning, I was traveling in the right lane of a two lane road when the truck in the left lane that was pulling a trailer with a small excavator, merged into my lane. His truck successfully made it, but I guess he forgot he was towing a trailer and the wheels of the trailer swiped my entire drivers side starting from the rear fender up until the front wheel.

There is a lot of body damage and the driver's door is not on track, but that is expected. My main concern is if I should be worried about structural damage to the wheels since most of the lateral force was absorbed by the rear driver-side wheel. Also, when I am driving over very bumpy roads at moderate speeds (30mph) I can hear what seems to be a loose metal tray rattling from the undercarriage. However, I only hear it when I drive on really bumpy roads, but not speed bumps or single potholes. (It seems that stimulating high vibrations causes the rattle sound)

I have already scheduled an appointment to get the car inspected for an estimate of the damages, but I figured I'd post in the mean time to see if anyone has any input on what the cause may be.

EDIT: Here is an imgur album - http://imgur.com/a/daSdh

Last edited by hozilla; 07-25-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Wow, that sucks... The noise could be a lot of things. Maybe something broke inside the door, maybe your skid plate broke off and is dragging. Or maybe something on the suspension is damaged / cracked and is rattling around over bumps. Hard to say without looking at the car.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
hozilla
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@iCrap I just noticed you are also in Maryland. Are you local to Baltimore city/county? If so, do you have any recommended private mechanics for G37s? Just asking for future reference.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

I'm not too far from there, but sorry I don't know any mechanics since I do all the work on the car myself. Only thing I go to a shop for is getting new tires mounted and alignments.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:29 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I've seen Hill's Garage recommended on to forum for people near Baltimore/DC
Old 07-25-2017, 02:50 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Yeah I have seen that one recomended a bunch
Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 PM
hozilla