G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
I wouldn't be surprised if my hair started to naturally develop frosted tips...

The Type-R is not designed for adults, that's pretty obvious.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by NH G37xS
I certainly don't think the Stinger is a great looking car (a little busy in my opinion) but I certainly don't dislike it. And I love the hatch design in the rear...very practical car especially being available in awd.

If the stinger depreciates at the rate I am hoping it does it may be my next car in a few years. That 10 year/100k miles power-train factory warranty is very attractive to me.
I agree that the 4 door hatch styling is very practical and if the Stinger ever looked more like an Audi A7 they would have a hit. Be careful with that 10yr/100k warranty if you are looking used in a few years. That gets cut down to 5yr/60k for the second owner just like Hyundai and Mitsubishi.

Be nice if they put the anticipated Black S powertrain into a new Z but I know that would be too much to hope for.

Subby introducing a new powertrain in the WRX/STI is kinda nice to look forward to.

Mazda putting a 2.5t into the Mazda6 with a 6 speed soon.

Golf R seems fun.
I agree with you on all of those cars, but Mazda is not making a turbo Mazda6 with a manual.

Originally Posted by Hashim
I really like the specs on the G70 ... this is the 4 banger with the 6MT ...its down on HP from the G but torque is nearly the same...

Its a tough call...apprx. 100 HP/lbft of torque for the V6 auto or a 6 MT
That car ticks a lot of the right boxes, except the engine and size/weight. Why would you only put the base engine in the performance model with a stick? Infiniti just cannot seem to get the sports luxury sedan equation right. "Let's put a great twin turbo motor in our Q cars but skip the manual transmission." What?!?

Originally Posted by Rochester
I saw one at the autoshow last weekend. People were looking at me funny because my girls and I genuinely started laughing out loud. It was the most ridiculous looking clown car I've ever seen.

Never. Ever. Not in a million years.

I suppose if I were a skinny, 16 year old hairless boy who liked to wear a lot of silk.

Not that there's anything wrong with silk.
I saw a red Type R in person at the Milwaukee Auto show two weekends ago and thought the same thing. Man is it ugly and overdone! They had a Civic Si right next to it in black and it looked so much better. I thought, wow I must just be getting old. So I looked back at all the cars I thought were awesome when I was 16-18 like the Subaru 22b, Evo 5, Ferrari 288 GTO, Lotus Esprit, etc. Nope, all of these cars are still awesome- Honda just designed a really ugly car.

Oh, the Type R is by far the most hideous car I've ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if my hair started to naturally develop frosted tips....

I think it would be something fun to beat on for a couple years and sell at the price it was purchased at since Honda fanboys are always going to pay top dollar for one. With the limited amount of fun driver's cars, I'd be willing to go this route until something more appealing was introduced.

I'm more interested in the new Mazdaspeed6 coming out more than anything. Pretty happy with my wife's CX-5 so I'm hoping the Speed6 follows suit.
Are frosted tips a thing again?

Don't hold your breath for a Speed6. Mazda has been teasing the idea of another rotary sports car for about a decade and now they say they will use a rotary as a range extender for a hybrid.

Mazda is one of the brands I work for and they realize they are never going to be a high volume company like Nissan, Honda, or Toyota so they are trying to go more upmarket like Acura while finding ways to keep the gas engine relevant. As a result the styling and interiors of the 3, 6, and CX-9 are probably the nicest in their class.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:08 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
If Mazda excludes a 6 MT from the Speed6 they'll be dead to me. They've come a long way re-branding themselves and if Nissan continues to put out lack luster options I can see that market being open to new options such as Mazda. Never thought I'd see the day when Toyota is pumping out a 300+ HP Camry with aggressive styling while Nissan makes NISMO Jukes...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Audi needs to bring the RS4 Wagon to America. Either than that a S4 would be a worthy replacement for myself.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:25 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't know how much of that Stinger warranty will be intact by the time it's needed, for enthusiasts. Many here will do full bolt-ons and a tune almost immediately. A friend of a co-worker had the engine sludge up and blow on his Sportage, and Kia said they wouldn't look at it without complete maintenance records (so if you change your own oil, you're SOL for warranty if the engine blows). Even after being given the maint records, they said they're going to pull the engine apart, because apparently some did have an issue with sludging up, and then they'll determine if it's covered. If it isn't, the guy is on the hook for the labor to tear it down. All that to say, it seems like they're loathe to honor the warranty for the guy on a bone stock vehicle.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
I don't know how much of that Stinger warranty will be intact by the time it's needed, for enthusiasts. Many here will do full bolt-ons and a tune almost immediately. A friend of a co-worker had the engine sludge up and blow on his Sportage, and Kia said they wouldn't look at it without complete maintenance records (so if you change your own oil, you're SOL for warranty if the engine blows). Even after being given the maint records, they said they're going to pull the engine apart, because apparently some did have an issue with sludging up, and then they'll determine if it's covered. If it isn't, the guy is on the hook for the labor to tear it down. All that to say, it seems like they're loathe to honor the warranty for the guy on a bone stock vehicle.
Save your receipts and noted mileage. You don't have to have the dealership perform the maintenance to maintain your warranty.
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (03-14-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If Mazda excludes a 6 MT from the Speed6 they'll be dead to me. They've come a long way re-branding themselves and if Nissan continues to put out lack luster options I can see that market being open to new options such as Mazda. Never thought I'd see the day when Toyota is pumping out a 300+ HP Camry with aggressive styling while Nissan makes NISMO Jukes...
The Juke is discontinued. Nissan makes a 300hp Maxima, a 350hp Z and a 600hp GT-R and you are excited by a 300hp Camry? I will give you the fact that Nissan is set to release an all-new Altima at the NY auto show at the end of the month and the Z and GT-R are due for new versions, hopefully soon.

Originally Posted by the_wolff
Any vehicle brand is tough to get warranty work done if you have no record of any maintenance ever being done. You can change your own oil, but keep the receipts.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:07 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

^Yea, there's law protecting against this.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The Juke is discontinued. Nissan makes a 300hp Maxima, a 350hp Z and a 600hp GT-R and you are excited by a 300hp Camry? I will give you the fact that Nissan is set to release an all-new Altima at the NY auto show at the end of the month and the Z and GT-R are due for new versions, hopefully soon.
Can I get an Amen?

The Maxima, Z and GT-R are some of the oldest power trains going. Maybe the WRX/ STI are riding a longer streak? Both the Z and GT-R are a decade old and even the 'updates/refreshes' leave it still feeling long in the tooth.

I used the Camry as an example that the competition is at least making changes to stay relevant. Honda's Accord with the Type R inspired motor (also a 6MT...), Camry with the boost in HP, Mazda has improved drastically as a brand, Ford even has the SHO. Both Nissan and Infiniti seem to ave gotten complacent with the success from the early 2000's. There's nothing there that tells me they're exploring new powertrains and platforms and even when they do, they only slap a dated 7AT to it and give it electric, golf-cart steering.

Edit...Ah, a new Altima....awesome.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
stiizy

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thinking of going to get an S6 this weekend, Test drove the S5 but think I want a bigger body and 4 doors
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM
markyo0o

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stiizy
Thinking of going to get an S6 this weekend, Test drove the S5 but think I want a bigger body and 4 doors
Did you test drive the S5 coupe or S5 Sportback? Assuming you testdrove the S5 coupe so the S5 sportback may be what you're looking for and will be cheaper than the S6.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by stiizy
Nice pick! We just got in an S3, S4, S6 and S8 at our store. Still great sleepers.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:47 AM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I hated the CTR at first but with all the positive reviews that it's been getting, it had me taking a second look at it. I am now obsessed with it and have one that is being shipped to me. Looks is definitely polarizing but the performance cannot be denied, fwd or not. It's a serious road carving vehicle.

It be replacing the G hopefully if I can get a good price for it. Too bad that resale price on the G is horrible. I only have 39k miles on my 07 and blue book values it in the low teens.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Low teens for an 11 year old Infiniti is pretty damn good

CTR's performance and driving chops can't be denied but Honda needs to make some quick and easy fixes to the interior/exterior
Old 03-09-2018, 08:02 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Be careful with that 10yr/100k warranty if you are looking used in a few years. That gets cut down to 5yr/60k for the second owner just like Hyundai and Mitsubishi.
This is crazy right here...I didn't know that this was even a thing...it kinda changes the value proposition when buying new vs. say a 2/3 year old used version...I wonder if depreciation is even steeper because of it..

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?