Grinding/Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:34 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Grinding/Vibration?

Hi guys,
I have a 2011 G37XS Sedan. I heard a weird grinding metal-on-metal-almost sound coming from the wheels. I also noticed that even 20 mins later, my rotors are still VERY hot. I think it might be seized calipers? Wheel bearings? What do you guys think?
Old 06-29-2017, 09:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Start with the calipers.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:01 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
heres an idea. pull the wheels off and check your brakes. perhaps you are metal to metal.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
heres an idea. pull the wheels off and check your brakes. perhaps you are metal to metal.
I just got the car from a reputable dealer less than 3 months ago so that's unlikely
Old 06-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by zaz
I just got the car from a reputable dealer less than 3 months ago so that's unlikely
Then take it back and have them fix it.

You say your rotors are hot? Really? All of them? If they're all hot, that's because you were actually using the brakes. But if it's just one rotor that is unusually hot (and you're figuring this out how?), it's very possible you have a caliper that isn't releasing properly. Every single shop and dealership offer a brake service, where they clean and grease the guide pins. More often than not, it's part of a borderline scam for unnecessary services, but in your case...

Another simple answer is that the dust shield on one corner is rubbing on the rotor. That happens very easily. It's a small gap.

3 months new to you... Just take it back.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:24 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Then take it back and have them fix it.

In all likelihood you have a caliper that isn't releasing properly. Every single shop and dealership offer a brake service, where they clean and grease the guide pins. More often than not, it's part of a borderline scam for unnecessary services, but in your case... just do it. Take it back.
Yeah that's my guess, from the sounds of it. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Would it be worth it for me to just grease them myself in that case?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by zaz
Yeah that's my guess, from the sounds of it. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. Would it be worth it for me to just grease them myself in that case?
If you're into it, and have the time, absolutely! Good for you. With each wheel off one at a time, you can easily asses if the problem is simply a dust shield touching the rotor. I once had a little rock jammed between the dust shield and the rotor... what a scary noise that made! Sht happens.

That said, if the car were recently purchased, I'd be inclined to ask the lot where you purchased the car to resolve the problem.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by zaz

since you stated you are "somewhat mechanically inclined" and since you doubt your brakes are metal to metal shouldn't the intelligent thing to do be pull the wheels off and do an inspection to see if you can identify the cause of your grinding or vibration?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:32 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by zaz
I just got the car from a reputable dealer ....
Now that is a funny statement!

Was this an Infiniti dealer or another dealer that calls themselves reputable like a certain news channel that calls themselves fair and balanced??

Did they do a complete inspection of this vehicle and give you a report including the condition of the brakes?

Telcoman
The following users liked this post:
guy from norcal (07-03-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:13 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I had a jag and hit a hole that the city did maintenance on, yet didn't tell anyone. As soon as I hit it, the brakes made a terrible grinding sound. Turned out I bent the brake shield. But I am probably reaching on that.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:25 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
since you stated you are "somewhat mechanically inclined" and since you doubt your brakes are metal to metal shouldn't the intelligent thing to do be pull the wheels off and do an inspection to see if you can identify the cause of your grinding or vibration?

Didn't have time, I work full time with a crazy commute.

So yesterday I hit a pothole and my sidewall got a finger-length tear. The tires are getting old anyways so I've decided to replace all 4 with 265/40/19s. I got the car towed to a mechanic (I was relatively far from home, didn't want to ride on the doughnut), and he said he played with my calipers and everything seemed fine. They did a full inspection and weren't able to find any reason why I was hearing a noise or feeling vibration, but due to the tear they didn't want to drive it so I'll just be bringing it back once I have new tires installed. Is it possible the "grinding" or I guess better described as a hollow metal drum rolling sound is due to crappy old tires?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:32 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by telcoman
Now that is a funny statement!

Was this an Infiniti dealer or another dealer that calls themselves reputable like a certain news channel that calls themselves fair and balanced??

Did they do a complete inspection of this vehicle and give you a report including the condition of the brakes?

Telcoman

My family and I have bought a couple vehicles in general and I tend to have a good eye for a good seller vs a shady one. This dealership was legitimately a good dealership. They had fair prices, and good vehicles. Prior to selling they installed a full set of new tires (on OEM rims), full detailing, fluids, new rotors, pads, possibly calipers too (looked new at least), etc. For a day late pickup because I was at work, they gave me a free oil change. Any issues I brought up they addressed. Just overall, a pleasant experience and I know most dealerships are stealerships but these guys had been pretty good to me.

So adding onto my last post. 265/40/19s on 19x8.5 ruffino tekniks with +35 offset (my current rims) should be fine? No rub? No bottoming out easily if I drop on swifts eventually? I think 255 is max recommended officially and 265 is max usually recommended for 8.5" right? I wanted some more sidewall compared to my 245/40/19s on right now for a smoother ride, less noise, and also want DAT DERE FAT TIRE look that comes with 265s.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by zaz
...possibly calipers too (looked new at least)
I know this is off-topic, but if you tack that to the end of your comment, it makes the entire front-loaded rationale go up in smoke. It's just how it reads, right or wrong... car forum.

Lots of info here about Swift Springs on AWD Sedans. Good choice for an even, conservative drop with the X-Sedan. Dropping the car is a slippery slope when you start with springs, but that can be fun. And there's lots of wheel/tire info here as well. You'll find what you need.

I'm in to see what your brake problem was, just because. Probably because I commented. Be sure and post the solution, and good luck.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:03 PM
zaz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I know this is off-topic, but if you tack that to the end of your comment, it makes the entire front-loaded rationale go up in smoke. It's just how it reads, right or wrong... car forum.

Lots of info here about Swift Springs on RWD and AWD Sedans. And lots of wheel/tire info. You'll find what you need.

I'm in to see what your brake problem was, just because. Probably because I commented. Be sure and post the solution, and good luck.

Yeah I know you guys can be **** about that hahaha. Yeah basically they were either really well cleaned/restored or new. It's hard to tell because by the time you drive off the lot these things end up covered in brake dust. I never asked about the calipers anyways. The car was just very well maintained and serviced.

I know swift is much better for AWD sedans, in terms of droopy butt. I just don't know if it'll rub, and I'm trying to avoid needing a camber kit.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by zaz
I know swift is much better for AWD sedans, in terms of droopy butt. I just don't know if it'll rub, and I'm trying to avoid needing a camber kit.
AFAIK, over the years I've read no one complaining about AWD Swift Springs rubbing on anything. Not sure why they would. You can probably avoid a camber kit, because the drop is reasonable. However, you could just buy the extended toe bolts for the rear, keep the toe in spec so you have more slack for the alignment. I bet your rear camber will be -1.5* give or take. IDK what to tell you about the front.

Springs will be a minor handling mod, because you're still on the non-Sport shocks. Granted, if you consider replacing the shocks too, then you're going to start researching coil-overs... and there you are. It's a quick trip, LOL.

Basically, figure out what you want and how much you want to spend. If it's a long plan, then you can do things in stages, and upgrade as you go. If it's a short plan with a small budget... just get the Swift Springs and see what happens.