Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New G37S owner looking for maintenance advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Luky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New G37S owner looking for maintenance advise

I have been driving BMW's for the last 14 years and unfortunately was in a fender bender (right front corner/headlight) in my CPO 2013 535i last month. It set off the airbags and the shop said the front frame rail was tweaked 5mm so insurance is totalling it on me.

I recently picked up a 2011 G37S with 59k miles as I expect my insurance to go up for a couple of years and my son turns 16 in the fall which will also jack up our rates, so I am holding off buying another BMW for now. I pretty much do all my own work on my car (I have a quickjack 7000), proactively replace wear parts before they break, and am looking for info on maintaining this one. I drive cars very hard and they need to be reliable. The carfax records show it was regularly maintained at infiniti dealers and some oil change places. The Lexus dealer where I bought it changed the oil, put new tires, brakes, air filters, and 3 new TPMS on it just before I bought it. I plan to service the tranny, differential, full synthetic oil in the engine, flush the brake fluid, and replace the cabin air filter. Probably need to do the power steering fluid and maybe flush the coolant as well. I already have the links to the service manuals on the nicoclub website. I figure the belts/pulleys should last until next year/75k before I replace them.

I have been surfing the G37 forums and have a list of questions that I am hoping some of the long time Infiniti gurus can help point me in the right direction. I am not looking for "mods" as the car is pretty tight and accelerates/brakes well (just the new tires the dealer put on kind of suck in my opinion as they drift way too easily). I believe with some proper tires the car will handle well too.

2011 G37S questions:
1. Best on-line discount/aftermarket part sellers for Nissan/Infinity? (Rock Auto? Others)
2. Best discount Nissan/Infiniti OEM part seller?
3. Differential oil wt/specification for VLSD? Whats a good synthetic for this?
4. Transmission oil filter part number (7AT)? (The DIY I saw said not serviceable but I call BS on this as the pictures showed it bolts in place.) Trans pan gasket part number?
5. Transmission fluid preferred (matic-s? or compatible?)
6. Who makes the 7AT transmission used in 2011 G37?
7. Engine oil wt? (never below freezing here and I drive in the desert sometimes) Anyone use a long change interval (7k-10k miles)?
8. Best low dust performance brake pads fr/rr for Sport (Akebono) calipers? (I preferred Akebono Euroceramic pads on my BMW).
9. Good inexpensive brake rotors (good quality standard rotors)? (brand?)
10. Auto Transmission shifter removal DIY? I want to swap manual shift directions (thinking about swapping micro switch wires so pull back is for up shift like a BMW that I am so used to.)
11. XM radio antenna upgrades (for better reception). The XM signal often fades driving under trees or near buildings. Never had this issue with my BMW/SiriusXM. Or is this a lack of “buffer” time in the radio unit?
12. G37 Sport tire preference? My current Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires suck. Anyone tried 245/45-18 in the front or even 255/40-18?
13. Sport 18” Rims width? Do stock wheels have same width and back spacing front/ rear?

I found this online: (Is this correct for 2011?)
G37 Sport and G37x Sport
Front: 18"x7.5". Cast aluminum-alloy. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 Offset +45
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A P225/50R18 95W

Rear: 18"x8.5". Cast aluminum-alloy. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 Offset +50
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A P245/45R18 96W

Can I run the front rims in the back and will they clear the calipers? (Maybe I can pick up another set of stock front wheels for a square set up?) or will some 18x8 with 35mm offset clear the calipers (and fenders) front/rear? Thinking of 245/45-18 all around. (Maybe 255/40-18 if they will clear.)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Short on time right now, lots of items to cover there, try to help where I can in the morning, I'm sure others will assist. Welcome to the site, sorry to hear about the 5 series
being too banged up to keep.

Last edited by blnewt; 06-12-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,575 Likes on 3,426 Posts
Michelin PSS have been the preferred top-shelf performance tires here in the forum for quite some time. However, this year Continental came out with a new line replacing their high performance summer tires, and they've been getting good press.

Lots of questions about fluid and maintenance. That seems to be your thing, and if you go after research one item at a time, I'm sure you'll get some direction.

I know you say modding the car isn't your plan, however if you only do one aftermarket modification, make it sway bars. Aftermarket sways (any brand) matched with summer tires is an unbeatable combo.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Just post where I can in bold

2011 G37S questions:
1. Best on-line discount/aftermarket part sellers for Nissan/Infinity? (Rock Auto? Others)Rockauto is good, also be sure to check our vendors on site for aftermarket parts. B2Autodesigns, THMotorports, JMAutosports, GetYourWheels, are just a few that do a great job around here

2. Best discount Nissan/Infiniti OEM part seller?
Many Infiniti car dealers have online "sister sites" that sell OEM parts at decent prices, just google "OEM Infinti parts" for good lists, www.discountinfinitparts.com is just one great example.
3. Differential oil wt/specification for VLSD? Whats a good synthetic for this?
Been a while since I changed mine so not 100% sure, check the DIY folder for all the fluid services~https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ifications-11/
4. Transmission oil filter part number (7AT)? (The DIY I saw said not serviceable but I call BS on this as the pictures showed it bolts in place.) Trans pan gasket part number?
Have not been able to source a part # for the filter, I did the DIY AT fluid change and the filter looked pristine so I wasn't too concerned with changing it out. There's a coupe part #s I posted in this thread for the gasket and drain plug, but both were in great shape when I did mine so I reused them without any problems.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html
5. Transmission fluid preferred (matic-s? or compatible?)
I used Valvoline Max Life Matic S spec (it's one of only a few aftermarket ATFs that is Matic S compatible) been 20k miles since the ATF change and still performing very well. Others will swear by Nissan Matic S so that choice is up to you.
6. Who makes the 7AT transmission used in 2011 G37?
7. Engine oil wt? (never below freezing here and I drive in the desert sometimes) Anyone use a long change interval (7k-10k miles)?
I use Pennzoil Platinum 5/30 and change ever 6-7k miles, I also use the larger Infiniti/Nissan 5.6l V8 oil filters, they are quite a bit larger and still easily fit under the splash guard. Used Bosch, Mobil1, and settled on Wix filters as of late.
8. Best low dust performance brake pads fr/rr for Sport (Akebono) calipers? (I preferred Akebono Euroceramic pads on my BMW).
The Hawk HPS 5.0 gets good reviews, not sure how low dusting they are but haven't heard that they are bad in that regard. Also Stoptech has a new Street Pad that is supposed to be much better regarding dust than their previous Street Pad, they now have a Sport and a Street set (the Sport is now similar to what their Street set used to be, so avoid that one if dusting is a concern).
9. Good inexpensive brake rotors (good quality standard rotors)? (brand?)
Centric Premium Rotors, have better venting that OEM, decent rust prevention, and are priced well.
10. Auto Transmission shifter removal DIY? I want to swap manual shift directions (thinking about swapping micro switch wires so pull back is for up shift like a BMW that I am so used to.)
Here's a DIY I did, might help, but didn't do any direction changes~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ign-model.html
11. XM radio antenna upgrades (for better reception). The XM signal often fades driving under trees or near buildings. Never had this issue with my BMW/SiriusXM. Or is this a lack of “buffer” time in the radio unit?
Dunno, my XM used to work great and sucks now in certain areas where it used to be clear, so ???
12. G37 Sport tire preference? My current Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires suck. Anyone tried 245/45-18 in the front or even 255/40-18?
Sport tires, I'd take Johns' advice (Rochester) above, I have the previous Continental DW, and their new Extreme Contact is getting stellar reviews, here's a good link on that~
TESTED: Continental Tire ExtremeContact Sport
13. Sport 18” Rims width? Do stock wheels have same width and back spacing front/ rear?

I found this online: (Is this correct for 2011?)
G37 Sport and G37x Sport
Front: 18"x7.5". Cast aluminum-alloy. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 Offset +45
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A P225/50R18 95W

Rear: 18"x8.5". Cast aluminum-alloy. Bolt pattern 5x114.3 Offset +50
Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A P245/45R18 96W

Can I run the front rims in the back and will they clear the calipers? (Maybe I can pick up another set of stock front wheels for a square set up?) or will some 18x8 with 35mm offset clear the calipers (and fenders) front/rear? Thinking of 245/45-18 all around. (Maybe 255/40-18 if they will clear.)
Yes, that wheel info is correct and you could run (4) rear wheels all around as they will clear the calipers. Running a 255/45 or 255/40 is a good plan. I have seen those rear 18" wheels on sale for a bit over $100 at some of those online OEM sites so that's a steal!
HTHs

Last edited by blnewt; 06-12-2017 at 09:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
doublea88 (06-16-2017), Luky (06-15-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 01:55 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
The Nissan dealer near me uses M1 for the diff, that is what I bought, but I haven't put it in yet.

Tires:

Summer

Brakes, I haven't installed them yet but they are a great deal

Amazon Amazon

I bought Akebono Performance Ceramics, haven't installed them yet.

Brake Fluid, I bought ATE typ 200, great heat properties.

I was going to ask if the rears would clear the calipers. 245/45/18 would be a great square setup. I wonder about rub with the rear wheels in front.

I have been told that the Altima SE-R wheels prob won't fit, it is a shame, they are 18x8 and Forged, weigh under 19 lbs.

Michelin PSS
Continental DW Sport, not DWS
BFG Comp 2s
Sumitomo HTR III

All Season

Michelin AS3+
Pirelli PZero A/S
BFG Comp A/S
Continental DWS 06

Oil, I have been using Semi, the dealer says the tolerances aren't right for Syn, but w/e

Penzoil
Castrol
Schaeffers
Amsoil
The following users liked this post:
Luky (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Luky

Thanks for the responses guys. Work has been killing me this week and I have not been able to follow up on here... Hoping to get a break by Fathers day...

One thing I want to note is that I will probably go with Hankook Ventus evo2. Been using them for years on both my 335i and 535i as I think they are very good bang for the buck. I tend to burn out the rears in about 10k miles which is one reason for going to a square set up so I can rotate them and save some $...

What are the stock "sport" wheels called? Is there a model number I can search for? ~$100 a wheel for OEM rims is a bargain! And made by Enkei which was "the brand" to have back in the late 80's when I was doing low rider pick ups...
Old 06-15-2017, 08:36 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I haven't tried the evo 2, the originals had a softer sidewall than I would like. The wet traction went away around 50-60 treadlife.
My experiences with the koreans is that I like the Kuhmo and Nexen much better than the Hankooks.

Looking at Tirerack, the Firestone Indy 500 are less expensive and better rated. I have been thinking of getting them. Even less are the Sumitomo HTRIII which I have had and liked. They had about the same grip as the Hankooks and didn't go away as tread got lower.

Both the BFG Comp TAs have been received higher recs than the Hankooks and are less $$. It partially depends where you buy though. If you don't know, BFG is owned by Michelin. I would go with any of those before Hankooks and my car came with Ventus S1 Nobiles.

The best are the Michelin PSS, but they are at least 180 a tire. Costco has a 100 off a set. I have never bought tires from Costco, but I would imagine the warranty is incredible.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Luky
Thanks for the responses guys. Work has been killing me this week and I have not been able to follow up on here... Hoping to get a break by Fathers day...

One thing I want to note is that I will probably go with Hankook Ventus evo2. Been using them for years on both my 335i and 535i as I think they are very good bang for the buck. I tend to burn out the rears in about 10k miles which is one reason for going to a square set up so I can rotate them and save some $...

What are the stock "sport" wheels called? Is there a model number I can search for? ~$100 a wheel for OEM rims is a bargain! And made by Enkei which was "the brand" to have back in the late 80's when I was doing low rider pick ups...
Here's a link, just scroll down to the Infiniti G sedan RWD rear part #D0300-1NH9K it's $110 each.
There's also the 18" 9 spoke which IMO is a better looking wheel, but you'd have to call and confirm if it's the 8.5 inch one, part #D0300-JK126
Here's the link, and that site is legit, I've got several parts from them, as have many members here.
https://discountinfinitiparts.com/pa...subcat3=198904
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Luky

The cheapest I am seeing the rear wheels is about $200 for "remanufactured"... New look to be about $500 each after "discount".
Old 06-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Luky

These are the ones that I have. 18" INCH 2009 2010 INFINITI G37 OEM Factory Original REAR Alloy Wheel Rim 73717A
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM
Luky

Originally Posted by ezbme
I haven't tried the evo 2, the originals had a softer sidewall than I would like. The wet traction went away around 50-60 treadlife.
My experiences with the koreans is that I like the Kuhmo and Nexen much better than the Hankooks.

Looking at Tirerack, the Firestone Indy 500 are less expensive and better rated. I have been thinking of getting them. Even less are the Sumitomo HTRIII which I have had and liked. They had about the same grip as the Hankooks and didn't go away as tread got lower.

Both the BFG Comp TAs have been received higher recs than the Hankooks and are less $$. It partially depends where you buy though. If you don't know, BFG is owned by Michelin. I would go with any of those before Hankooks and my car came with Ventus S1 Nobiles.

The best are the Michelin PSS, but they are at least 180 a tire. Costco has a 100 off a set. I have never bought tires from Costco, but I would imagine the warranty is incredible.
I get them from Discounttiredirect.com using their credit card and shipped to my house for free (and no sales tax). Typically I get a $100 rebate for set of 4, plus $50-$80 rebate for using their CC, and 6 months free interest so pay like $135 a month for 6 months. I put a set of 19" (245/40 and 275/35) on my 535i for about $700 total after rebates. I take them to the local wal-mart tire center that will M&B for $14 a wheel. (Only BMW in the place )
Old 06-15-2017, 09:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's another link, they look to be the "duckfeet" like you have. Might see if they could send you a pic just to be sure.
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...300-1nh9k.html

Last edited by blnewt; 06-15-2017 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Luky (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:16 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Luky
I get them from Discounttiredirect.com using their credit card and shipped to my house for free (and no sales tax). Typically I get a $100 rebate for set of 4, plus $50-$80 rebate for using their CC, and 6 months free interest so pay like $135 a month for 6 months. I put a set of 19" (245/40 and 275/35) on my 535i for about $700 total after rebates. I take them to the local wal-mart tire center that will M&B for $14 a wheel. (Only BMW in the place )
How did Walmart deal with the tpms? I got tires for my ex's G35, back like 11 years ago, I guess they didn't really touch the tpms. I used to take my BMW to walmart for oil change. I guess they had problems with some and they ended up not doing my oil changes anymore. I always brought my own oil and filter.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:42 PM
Luky

You can get the "rebuild kits" from discounttiredirect.com for about $4 each with your order. Really it is just a new inner stem and cap that get replaced. Yeah there is a new O-ring looking gasket/washer, but I don't think they really need to be replaced every time you get tires (maybe if you only change your tires every 4-6 years). I get new tires about every 10-12 months... It may be more of an issue if they "catch" the TPMS getting the tire off the rim and damage the gasket, but I think most tires shops know how to do it now without damaging them since they are so common.

Yeah, I have not been able to get the cheapie oil change places to do it with my filter and oil... I love the BMW filter cartridge that you change from the top of the engine. So much easier... I even got a big *** socket (36mm?) to make removing the filter cap easier. Now with the quickjack it is about 20 minutes from start to pulling out of the garage... But if it lasts me 20 years like my Air compressor has, it will be well worth it.

Last edited by Luky; 06-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:55 PM
Luky

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's another link, they look to be the "duckfeet" like you have. Might see if they could send you a pic just to be sure.
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/pa...300-1nh9k.html
Thanks for this. I will try to contact them and see but I am not sure if that is a real store or they just place orders to drop ship parts from other places (they don't list an address, only a phone). I did find this: Infinitipartszone.com Rated 1/5 stars by 1 Consumers - infinitipartszone.com Consumer Reviews at ResellerRatings

I also found the same part number listed on parts.com for $113 each, which is a similar type site, but the reviews make that website seem pretty sketchy too.