Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

ABS, Slip, AWD, VDC, Brake, TPMS and Key Light all ON

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Ryus
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS, Slip, AWD, VDC, Brake, TPMS and Key Light all ON

So all these lights stay ON, even with the car started.

The usual suspects are brake fluid LOW, this is not the case. Yesterday I did some brake maintenance, such as lubing caliper pins and a full brake fluid flush.

I did not remove the negative battery terminal, instead I disconnected the ABS module connector, near the brake fluid reservoir. I did encounter some trouble in removing the bottom caliper pin of the passenger rear brakes, it was bone dry, so I used a hammer (top caliper pin already removed) against the caliper to force the bottom pin out. After the lubing of pins and brake fluid flush, reconnected the ABS module connector, when I start the car, all the ABS, Slip, AWD, VDC, Brake, TPMS and Key Light now stay ON.

I don't know why the Key light is ON when that had nothing to do with the brakes. The steering wheel doesn't lock now after the car is in OFF.

Next I will check the wheel sensor on the rear corner I used the hammer on.

Any help would be appreciated as I want to go to the dealer as a last resort.

Last edited by Ryus; 05-23-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Ryus
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG what rookie mistake. It turned out to be the ABS module connector. It seemed like it was connected, or so I thought, so I fiddled with it and made absolutely sure it was this time, and when I fired her up, all lights went off!

I've bled brakes on Infiniti's before, except this was the first time I disconnected the ABS module connector and lesson learned now, make sure it is fully fully reconnected afterwards!

A good indicator to my problems for anyone else is that how can doing brake maintenance affect the Key dash light for steering wheel lock? It shouldn't be related so to check what was done electrically for the culprit.

Sorry to have cried wolf, but this really stressed me out!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:28 AM
g37x2013
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you figured it out!!!. it made me cringe reading this!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:44 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Your dash was starting to resemble a GTI's

Old 02-07-2018, 05:18 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryus
OMG what rookie mistake. It turned out to be the ABS module connector. It seemed like it was connected, or so I thought, so I fiddled with it and made absolutely sure it was this time, and when I fired her up, all lights went off!

I've bled brakes on Infiniti's before, except this was the first time I disconnected the ABS module connector and lesson learned now, make sure it is fully fully reconnected afterwards!

A good indicator to my problems for anyone else is that how can doing brake maintenance affect the Key dash light for steering wheel lock? It shouldn't be related so to check what was done electrically for the culprit.

Sorry to have cried wolf, but this really stressed me out!
Hey, bud! Can you please walk me through the steps to A) find and B) check the connection of the ABS module? My "VDC OFF" & "SLIP" light come on when I get on the gas, and while I've seen opinions about brakes and or brake fluid being the culprit, I'd like to know more about that module.

Thanks!

Last edited by oliveview; 02-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:51 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It's not an opinion that low brake fluid will cause the ABS and VDC lights to come on. It's a fact. Happened to me last month.

Yes, there may be other culprits, but these two are known.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:21 PM
oliveview

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
It's not an opinion that low brake fluid will cause the ABS and VDC lights to come on. It's a fact. Happened to me last month.

Yes, there may be other culprits, but these two are known.
Certainly, and it's entirely possible that I'll find that to be the cause on my end, as well. But knowing that there are, indeed, other potential contributing factors, I'd like to be armed with more info.