Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing 2010-2012 G37 with ~100k miels

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 PM
revaldo29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing 2010-2012 G37 with ~100k miels

I am looking for a G37 sedan for around 12-13k. In my area I've found several 2010-2012 models with around 100k miles, single owner, with full maintenance records in that price range.

My situation- currently drive a 10 year old 4 cyclinder accord which I am just bored of. I want something with RWD, more power, comfort, better sound system, etc. I only drive about 4-5k a year and need a car with for the next 3 years when I will be finished with graduate school and will get a newer car.

My question is, how reliable is a well maintained G beyond the 100k mile mark? At most I would put another 20k miles over the next 3 years before being in a position to buy a newer car.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Descendent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a 2013 G37 with 35K miles on it, but I have driven several Nissans and Infintis in the past that had well over 100K miles on them.

My experience is that you will not have any problems with the engine or transmission, they are very reliable. Every make and model is different, but you should be pretty confident in that area. Other than that, My A/C went out on my Maxima at around 160K, I had to replace my rotors on the Infinti I30 at around 120K, and the power steering hose had to be replaced too. Oil leaks on both cars after 100K.

THe most expensive thing if anything goes wrong could be a radiator or something, but I wouldn't worry about the engine or things would cost in the thousands to repair. Nissan is a great and reliable car manufacturer.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
All things being equal get the 2012, they have the improved oil gallery gaskets, the pre 2012s have the inferior paper gasket (the new one is metal-lined). This is expensive if it were to fail, upwards of $2k to repair.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:25 AM
Initial B
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ I would love to know the production date switchover if anyone knows for sure. My '11 was built in July 2011 (so I'm guessing not too far from the early '12s) and shows no signs of leaks as of 87k miles, so I think mine may have utilized the improved gasket. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Initial B; 05-21-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: oops, built in July, not June
Old 05-21-2017, 11:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Initial B
^ I would love to know the production date switchover if anyone knows for sure. My '11 was built in June 2011 (so I'm guessing not too far from the early '12s) and shows no signs of leaks as of 87k miles, so I think mine may have utilized the improved gasket. Fingers crossed.
That IS the million dollar question Infiniti isn't even admitting there's an improved gasket, it's just the investigation from some members that have had this failure that the different gasket composition came to light. It started over on G35driver.com and continued over here w/ Black Betty's epic thread. It really does seem to be a roll of the dice, I'm at 90k miles on our 09 and so far so good.
As far as that beer you mentioned, we get through Phoenix a couple times a year so when that time comes I'll shoot you a PM, would be great to have some brews and always enjoy Oreganos for the pizza chaser
Old 05-23-2017, 05:55 PM
tdoug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 120k on my car now (a 2010 g37x) and some "minor" things are starting to happen. I say minor because they are not overly expensive to fix, but just an inconvenience to change out.
1.obviously - brake pad have been changed a few times, a new battery, air filters, and cabin filters, regular oil changes, new tires.
2. I just did the front wheel bearings as one of them went. Didnt take long to do, and the hub came out with a few slight taps of the hammer. My car is garaged so the rust didn't seem to have any bolts locked in place. I made the mistake of ordering what I thought were Timken hubs from amazon..about 120 for both of them combined...they lasted 3 weeks and had to change out again. Had to run to Napa this time as needed it done asap so cost about 320 for the two (Napa is a rip off but was in a bind).
3. Front CVs are now starting to click..I have two replacements in my garage that I need to change out. About 120 for both from rock auto.
4. I am guessing rear wheel bearings and new rotors will be next. Everything else seems pretty solid. I'm trying to squeeze 3 more years out of this car.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I only have 165k on mine. I should do the transmission service done soon. I am also having the rear diff and front brakes replaced. I would say go for a car built in late 2012. Mine was built I believe Dec 2010. Try to get all the records, Mine was mostly serviced by Infiniti and I bought it from an Infiniti store. So far, not bad. I figure the suspension needs to be updated. BTW, get the G37s.