Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 journey sedan questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Jaredaj90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 journey sedan questions

Have a few questions about my 2011 sedan. I'm new to the site so this may need to be moved, but what parts will interchange from year models in regards to drive train components (motor, AT, diff's). Car was a salvaged title in Texas due to quarter panel/ underbody panel damage. Picked it up fixed for $8500 from a friend with 65k miles. Overall it's very clean in and out,
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
All the G37 sedan drive train parts are the same for any year G37 sedan except AWD. G37 coupe drive train also fits except the drive shaft (shorter). Engines are the same across the board.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
the drive train components differ by the main drive shaft and the differential(s) depending on transmission (i.e. auto vs 6mt 5 vs 7 speed auto) and awd vs RWD.

I.e. there's is a driveshaft and rear differential for the AWD; another driveshaft and differential for the the 6mt RWD; another driveshaft and Differential for the 7speed automatic transmission; and another driveshaft and Differential for the 5 speed automatic transmission (2008 only). the couplers between these components have limited interchangeability as well (without minor modification) and differ in design (i.e. guibo joint vs ball and socket)

The front subframe and motor mounts also differ amongst these three variations and obviously the AWD also has a front driveshaft, transfer case and axles.

Theres also different rear ends with open and LSD options and several different gear ratios

the AWD also requires another computer module I believe and the front transfer case only comes in one ratio which must be matched with a rear end with the same ratio.

Ultimately there are several ways to combine the different setups and all the parts are interchangeable in the sense that they can fit the chassis without modifying individual components but in most cases you you need to swap at least two components at a time (though it is possible in some instances to just swap one thing) or you need to modify the component to fit.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:14 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nice clarification. I've worked on cars since the mid-Seventies and this stuff is second nature to me and I don't think to get more detailed.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Nice clarification. I've worked on cars since the mid-Seventies and this stuff is second nature to me and I don't think to get more detailed.
lol thanks, I'm still learning, but mostly I'm just a wordy SOB ....hopefully between the two of us the OP benefits
Old 04-21-2017, 12:55 AM
Jaredaj90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply I am new to the Infiniti world so trying to soak it all in. I love this sedan compared to my 2012 IS350, it's night and day. My G is a 7at rwd journey by the way, I have been looking into the different diff options (mainly lsd)