Sponsored by:

Unfortunately it's time to say goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:19 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Yikes, glad you're OK.

In your shoes, I'd go straight for a CPO S4 (B8.5), last generation to have 6MT option.

But if you have your house paid off, M3 is well deserved
sorry I should clarify, only debt is the house but the mortgage isn't bad. I thought about the s4 and they are about the same price as the m3 or within a couple of thousand dollars. However, it appears those cars have a fire risk lol. The biggest appeal of the M3 is that it will likely depreciate at a very slow rate and potentially even start to rise as it's the last NA hydraulic steering M car. Plus I can drive it for 5-6 years and 125k miles with a warranty. And It's one of the few cars that I'd be totally happy with leaving stock or doing very small things like intake and an x-pipe.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I'll take the OEM trunk net, grille and possibly GT-R clear lenses.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
Originally Posted by AUR11
And It's one of the few cars that I'd be totally happy with leaving stock or doing very small things like intake and an x-pipe.
Yeah, but then what do you do? If you're not modding the car, then it's no longer a hobby. Of course you're going to enjoy driving it (because M3). And you'll certainly enjoy detailing the car on a warm Sunday afternoon. But there's no planning, no schedule, and nothing to look forward to except the inevitable repair job... which thank god will be under warranty.

My advice: get something half the cost as a hobby car. Live with it for a while until you get back on your feet. Do your research and planning, then dive in when the income picks back up.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Grille? LOL
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Grille? LOL

Oh yeah, I didn't mention I'll be picking up my 6MT sedan on Saturday. 2013 Graphite Shadow.

I want to purchase the grille so I can ship it off and get the emblemless gloss black treatment with outer edges painted KAD to match.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
I want to purchase the grille so I can ship it off and get the emblemless gloss black treatment with outer edges painted KAD to match.
Ah wait, AUR11 has a second grille he's selling? I must have missed that.

Because looking at that picture, the grille on the car is a pile of goo.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 AM
AUR11

Ah wait, AUR11 has a second grille he's selling? I must have missed that.

Because looking at that picture, the grille on the car is a pile of goo.
Yep, its the standard OEM grille, I purchased the midnight grill later.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:21 AM
AUR11

I'll PM you shortly with prices.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM
AUR11

Yeah, but then what do you do? If you're not modding the car, then it's no longer a hobby. Of course you're going to enjoy driving it (because M3). And you'll certainly enjoy detailing the car on a warm Sunday afternoon. But there's no planning, no schedule, and nothing to look forward to except the inevitable repair job... which thank god will be under warranty.

My advice: get something half the cost as a hobby car. Live with it for a while until you get back on your feet. Do your research and planning, then dive in when the income picks back up.

Grille? LOL
I thought about the hobby car idea, but with my G I added up what I spent and the fact that there was little to no gains and in some cases made the car worse by inducing noises. The goal was always to make the car handle great and it still didn't fully deliver because it was an X and even if I had supercharged it, I would have spent almost 10k bucks to be as fast as a stock M3 or C63 or ISF and have potential to break things. So I figure 400+ HP, cool factor and great handling from the factory make the car that I would spend a ton of money to try and replicate.

I am kind of at that stage where I am starting to just appreciate cars as they come from the factory. Even with my G I spent a ton of money on OEM parts besides suspension and if they had some sort of IPL line for suspension I would have chosen that over aftermarket.

That and I found out yesterday insurance doesn't cover these items so I am out of luck on getting any money back.

Just as a breakdown, I spent 25k on the car, 6,200 in modifications, and my modifications did result in approximately 1,000 or so in labor charges. Realistically had I parted the car out and traded it in I would have gotten a total of about 14k with the car based on trade in value and price of used mods. While I enjoyed it, a stock used M3 with less than 60k will run me around 28-31k, minus the 20k or so I will put down on it. The car has absorbed majority of its deprecation and has started to level off. So likely I could drive this car all while being covered under warranty for the next 5 to 6 years and still be able to sell the car at a decent price of likely 18-20k as its desirable.

Last edited by AUR11; 03-28-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
I thought about the s4 and they are about the same price as the m3 or within a couple of thousand dollars.
Well not if it's around the same year & mileage...

The biggest appeal of the M3 is that it will likely depreciate at a very slow rate and potentially even start to rise as it's the last NA hydraulic steering M car.
Think appreciation is very unlikely unless its a low-mileage example with unique features/specs.

Plus I can drive it for 5-6 years and 125k miles with a warranty. And It's one of the few cars that I'd be totally happy with leaving stock or doing very small things like intake and an x-pipe.
Skeptical that a full-coverage, factory exteneded warranty will be so cheap, but never really researched it. Not to mention the rigorous maintenance schedule on those things and just the longevity of high-perf Euro cars in general. You seem overconfident to me (or distracted by how much you want an M3).

Just playing devil's advocate, you're pretty well determined, so wish you luck man
Old 03-28-2017, 05:54 PM
AUR11

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Well not if it's around the same year & mileage...

S4 would be about a year newer but surprisingly they are not too far from each other.

Think appreciation is very unlikely unless its a low-mileage example with unique features/specs.

Skeptical that a full-coverage, factory exteneded warranty will be so cheap, but never really researched it. Not to mention the rigorous maintenance schedule on those things and just the longevity of high-perf Euro cars in general. You seem overconfident to me (or distracted by how much you want an M3).

Just playing devil's advocate, you're pretty well determined, so wish you luck man
Yeah, I know there are downsides but I am looking at all possible options so I end up buying the perfect car. Going to drive all the usual in this category, S4, CTS-V, M3, ISF, Chevy SS. Honestly the maintenance schedule on the M3 really isn't all that different than the G37. Oil changes are every 7,500 miles and run 160 at the dealer (infiniti charges 130 here for an oil change and it is recommended every 4k) DCT fluid change runs about 400, my last transmission fluid drain and refill for my 7AT ran 326 bucks. Coolant cost 159 on my car M3 runs about 230. Brakes cost roughly the same as the Akebono's. Tires are similar as they are 18's or 19's and aren't insanely wide at a 265 in the rear, just will need to be changed a little more often, but I was getting 12-15k out of my summer tires on my G anyway. The other thing is that I don't drive much, maybe 7-10k a year and if purchasing a vehicle with 50k or less miles on it, I would be covered for quite sometime with regards to mileage and at the point the warranty would run out, it would be 2022 or 2023. By then I would be in the market for a new car.

As far as the carmax warranty. It really is a great deal on any of these types of cars, the price can go to around 4k if you choose to have a zero deductible, but if you opt for a higher deductible of 200 it makes the cost a lot less. It basically covers everything including audio and nav issues and all aspects of drivetrain including any leaks. They also just send the car to a BMW dealer to have the work performed and you pay the deductible per visit so if you have multiple issues that aren't pressing, you could save it all for one trip. We have it on her BMW and in the 70k miles she has put on her car, we've had to use it for 4 things and each time they were handled the same day with no hassle and cost $50 for the deductible, they even went as far as replacing burnt out bulbs during the visits under warranty.

Cars are certainly a gamble. I used to think anything Japanese would be trouble free, but after seeing family members and friends drive German or American vehicles to very high miles with little or no issues. I've determined that all of them are fairly equal in how long they can last, it all comes down to how well they are maintained. There is of course some vehicles that just have issues and are expected to have major failures and nothing can be done, just have to avoid them or make sure they are under warranty. Perfect example would be anything CVT made by Nissan, it's not if but when the transmission is going to fail, yet you see those vehicles everywhere.

Last edited by AUR11; 03-28-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:09 PM
AUR11

So test drove an SMG M3, honestly the car lacks a lot of low end power, but the SMG is cool. Carmax warranty prices have gone up quite a bit on the German cars. However, they will sell me a higher mileage Lexus ISF and warranty it up to 150k for an extremely reasonable price. We have decided to find an 08 with 65-85k miles. I could be very happy with the car for a long time and have the Lexus quality and reliability that I enjoyed in my previous IS300.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
IS-F would be a good plan vs. a German ride (at least from a reliability standpoint) and they are a pretty hot ticket.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
But if you do that why not lease an RS400? What I read is the IS-F is fast but not strong in the handling dept
Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM
PM2K14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the "G" lost and glad that no one was hurt. Congrats on your up coming marriage and H'Bday. If you decide to part it out I would be interested in the Rear Deck Lid where it's the same color as my G. I trust that all turns out in your favor.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:40 AM
AUR11

Thought I'd provide an update. I am for now just driving the Mustang and kind of enjoying having a convertible. I received two job offers this week and have three more companies that have moved me to the final round next week. All in all I am looking at 40% increase in salary!! Still cannot decide what vehicle to buy. ISF's are extremely hard to come by and the thought of getting an older car and spending over 30k doesn't seem as appealing anymore.

As of right now we are leaning towards purchasing a new 17 4runner TRD Off Road. The main reason for this is that it would be great to have something we can tow the jet ski's and boat with and not have to depend on her brother's truck and also it would be something we can still use as a long term vehicle based on reliability and resale and that it works great for a family. My G would never make it down to the dock, so I like the thought of something that can go "anywhere" if needed. I do love 4runner's and have always wanted to have one and of all the things we have looked at, it makes the most sense at my current stage in life.