Bilstein B16 (PSS10) coilover suspension available soon for sedans!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Bilstein B16 (PSS10) coilover suspension available soon for sedans!

I know there are not a ton of options for a good adjustable sports suspension for our sedans. Most of them are really designed for the lighter 370Z or G coupe so there are some compromises.

I was on Tirerack the other day and discovered the new PSS10 Bilstein coilover suspension was listed as a fitment for my 2013: https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...oModClar=Sport

This is good news as most people raved about the PSS9 suspension on a variety of platforms as riding well on the street and performing good on the track. I believe this might ride really nicely on the street as most German suspension setups ride really well on our roads and this was tuned on the Nurburgring which is pretty bumpy. The fact you can adjust the dampening would be a nice addition. It almost sounds like you can adjust the height independent of the spring pre-load, which would also be nice.

My Tein Basis suspension is great on the track and rides well on the street most of the time. On newer roads that are wavy it does bounce a bit though. I have been considering Koni shocks as I had a set of their inserts in an '02 WRX previously and that rode well on the street. The issue is just trying to match the right springs for our cars. A true matched coilover set from Bilstein might be the answer. Hmm... decisions, decisions.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Thats just their standard 370z kit as far as I can tell. Don't get me wrong, I like Bilstein very much.

Also, based off of the jnstallation instructions, it would appear that preload and ride height are adjusted together, not seperately.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:38 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I just wish we had more true-type coilover options for our cars. I'm leaning towards Stance XR1 w/ 12/8k Swift springs for my 6MT sedan when I finally find one.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Don't see any real reason to go with a "true" coilover in the rear. A lot of people seem to like them though.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:17 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
Don't see any real reason to go with a "true" coilover in the rear. A lot of people seem to like them though.
True coilovers allow you to run a toe arm in the rear in place of the spring bucket which saves you weight and prevents your alignment from slipping. Toe bolts always have a chance of slipping, unless you get the SPL midlinks.
The following users liked this post:
2GoRNot2G (03-27-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:35 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Ive always wondered about that. There has to be some reason they went with the setup they did, no? Is there no advantage?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

I would question whether the upper shock mount could handle the long term stresses. I've seen (admittedly on much older cars) "true" coilovers push through shock towers on cars that weren't originally so equipped.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thats just their standard 370z kit as far as I can tell. Don't get me wrong, I like Bilstein very much.

Also, based off of the jnstallation instructions, it would appear that preload and ride height are adjusted together, not seperately.
Bummer. I was all excited that it would be specific to our cars, but you are right about it being for the 370Z as well. Why is it the only coilover listed on tirerack for our cars? That seems strange that there are so many other coilovers listed for the 370Z. Is there something about our cars that does not allow all the other coilovers from the 370Z to fit our cars?

At least they are Bilsteins and have adjustable dampers so I am guessing they will ride better on the street and maybe perform better on track than my Tein Basis.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

I would question whether the upper shock mount could handle the long term stresses. I've seen (admittedly on much older cars) "true" coilovers push through shock towers on cars that weren't originally so equipped.
Many guys on the Z forums track their cars with the true-type setup for years and have no issues.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Bummer. I was all excited that it would be specific to our cars, but you are right about it being for the 370Z as well. Why is it the only coilover listed on tirerack for our cars? That seems strange that there are so many other coilovers listed for the 370Z. Is there something about our cars that does not allow all the other coilovers from the 370Z to fit our cars?

At least they are Bilsteins and have adjustable dampers so I am guessing they will ride better on the street and maybe perform better on track than my Tein Basis.
The 370Z coilovers will fit perfectly fine, it's just that the spring rates/valving are for a lighter car, rather than our heavy sedans.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Many guys on the Z forums track their cars with the true-type setup for years and have noo issues.
Yeah, but we dont drive 370zs I would at the very least want to tie the rear shock towers together with a decent strut bar. Which I believe is on the 370z from the factory.

I do like the idea of being able to adjust toe using SPLs adjusters. I had their front tension rods on a 240sx years ago and they were a very nice piece of kit. Hands and shoulders above every other brand I've touched.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Yeah, but we dont drive 370zs I would at the very least want to tie the rear shock towers together with a decent strut bar. Which I believe is on the 370z from the factory.

I do like the idea of being able to adjust toe using SPLs adjusters. I had their front tension rods on a 240sx years ago and they were a very nice piece of kit. Hands and shoulders above every other brand I've touched.
The G37 uses the same chassis as the 370Z.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

The G37 uses the same chassis as the 370Z.
I know. The smiley face was intended to indicate I was being funny. Doesnt invalidate the point though.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The 370Z coilovers will fit perfectly fine, it's just that the spring rates/valving are for a lighter car, rather than our heavy sedans.
I know they will fit- I have Tein Basis for the 370Z on my car now. My point was that it was strange that tire rack has a lot of different coilovers listed for the 370Z, but only the Bilsteins for both the 370Z and G37 sedan. Why are the other 370Z coilovers not listed for the G37 sedan?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I just called the Tirerack to get some more information on these Bilstein coilovers and asked to speak with the person who knew the most about Bilsteins. Unfortunately, he knew virtually nothing. He did not know the spring rates, if they were linear or progressive, if you can adjust the height independent of spring pre-load, if you can add EDC to control dampening from inside the car, how they ride on the street, or why it is the only coilover listed for both the G37S sedan and 370Z. Not very promising when you are trying to convince yourself to spend $1,700 on a suspension!?!

Fortunately, it looks like there are a number of reviews out there for other cars and they look promising so far. I read one where a guy with an A4 with sport suspension said the Bilsteins rode basically just like stock on the street- good news for me- and handled well on track. I am in the middle of reading a review on a 350Z where the Bilsteins also rode well on the street, but the springs are progressive in back (not my favorite) and he said it compressed to much on track as a result. If that is true, I wonder why in the world they would go with a linear spring in the front, but progressive in back.

Maybe I could run a dual setup like Rochester with Teins in back and Bilsteins up front. Then again, that is a pretty expensive experiment. Maybe adjustable Koni shocks with the right springs are a better match for me. Then again, everyone I talk to with Konis seems to say they bounce a bit on uneven roads just like me Teins.

Argh! I just wish there was a simple solution for adjustable coilovers or shocks that ride well on the street and perform well on the track. Too bad not too many people track their sedans. I feel like I am polling from a very small sample.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

That just seems to be an issue with TireRack. If you were shopping for AWD sway bars, you had to look for the 2010 AWD coupe for them to show up, even though those parts for both the coupe and sedan.

Have you considered KWv3, Fortune Auto, Stance, even Ohlins?