Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio reception in 2009 G37 - radio, or XM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
XM Radio reception in 2009 G37 - radio, or XM?

I've had my G37 (see tagline) since it was new and have had XM Radio active since day one. Sure, it cuts out under bridges and thick trees, but never (or rarely) on the open road.

In the last 6-9 months it's been cutting out big time, and randomly. Sometimes I can drive 20 minutes without a cutout, other times I cannot even tell what song is playing in a 2-minute time window, I'll hear more silence than music - and this is on an open road with blue skies - like northbound on I35 between Austin and Dallas.

I have called XM and yes, they've "sent a signal" to the radio a few times but it makes no difference. I took it to my Infiniti dealership today and the tested the radio, wiring, and antenna and all checked out okay.

Has anyone else been experiencing this? If it doesn't start working I plan to turn the service off.

On the slip side - the XM radio in my wife's 2016 QX50 works fine - no cutouts at all - at least none I've heard, and none she's complained about.

This is posted on the sirusxm.com website:

"SiriusXM is reconfiguring the Sirius satellite network to the same configuration as the XM satellite network. Some Sirius satellite radio listeners may experience brief periods of occasional sound muting while driving through heavily forested or mountainous regions. If you have a Sirius satellite receiver and were driving through a heavily forested or mountainous region when you experienced audio muting, please fill out the form at listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask to submit your feedback to our engineering team." - I did that.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like my experience too, was pretty good up until about a year ago, now it's cutting out seemingly without any obvious blocks to the sky, and much more often ???
I'm to the point where it's doubtful I'll renew, and I ALWAYS renew at the cheapy $25 for 6 month rate.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Same thing happens in my car as well. The refresh signal didn't do anything (not surprising). Anyways, I was able to get a new rate @ 5$ per month until May. After that is up, I plan on canceling and going with something like Spotify Premium. The sound quality and music selection is 10x better. In my case, the difference in sound quality between xm and a bluetooth streaming service are like night and day.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:05 AM
TinsleyC

I'm sorry you guys are having the issue as well, but also glad I'm not the only one! Maybe the newer cars have stronger antennas, again my 2016 QX50 is fine, my 2009 G37 is not.

Do us all a favor and go here to report the issue. Be sure to tell them you've already tried getting a radio reset. That was their suggestion to me, I forgot to include that in my report to them.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask

I agree that streaming music is nice, I have 500+ songs on my iPod that stays in the car. Still, something new/fresh to listen to like XM is good to have on tap. I too get the "$5/month for 5 months" "promo" plan. I hate begging every five months...

I'll look into Spotify Premium, but does that go through your cell phone and use up bandwidth?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a 2012 fwiw... I like Spotify Premium because it gives you the option to listen to "stations" that are already preset from their service (Rock, Country, Hip-Hop, EDM, etc.) which would require you to use your mobile data. But at the same time, you can also save any songs you want to your own library and listen offline without needing to burn any data from your plan. I have a few playlists within my library and just pick whichever one I'm feeling at the time (I just have the regular version for now). Unfortunately, the infotainment screen in our cars doesnt allow you to scroll through the different menus but it does display the song art and you can still use the steering wheel mounted seek button to select different songs.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Always had problems with my XM and dealer wasnt much help. Now it is happening in my wifes Cadillac. This its just XM sucking more than normal.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Mine goes out in the same places every day starting about 6mo ago. I'm also on the $25 for 6mo plan so that helps some. I'm sure they are loosing alot of customers to spotify and others like it.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:44 PM
former520

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine stinks as well and I went as far as replacing the antenna with an aftermarket one that lives on my parcel shelf.

I have found near any power lines will kill it, can't using it driving north or south in the city of Phoenix.

Out of town and across the desert it is fine, but an absolute nightmare in town. I have been working in Tucson for the last month without any issue. It is very odd, wish I had a solution I could share, I just ended up dealing with it. Nothing worse than when it cuts out when you pull up to a light and stuck without sound until you get 100ft down the road a couple minutes later.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:19 PM
TinsleyC

Again, I encourage you all to file a report - and be sure to tell them that a radio reset doesn't help, and you're going to drop your plan if it's not fixed.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/ask

If enough of us complain, they might fix it.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
The XM in my car has always had bad reception.

Since I had no issues in my wife's old MDX or her new Explorer, I just assumed it was the car
Old 02-02-2017, 01:20 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Oh i complained. But when you call and you get that person who is not in our country reading from a script who has no idea what your talking about. Thats when i realized XM doesn't really care.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:40 PM
TinsleyC

Yeah don't get me started on XM.... okay, a summary:

I'm driving from Austin to Dallas on a clear blue sky day and my XM is cutting out big time. I'm hearing about 1/3rd of the music. So, I call XM on my phone and get a tech. I describe the problem, he suggests sending the reset. So we do that... minutes pass, it doesn't help.

Next he suggest that since I've been an XM subscriber since 2009, and have two cars on the account, he will ship me a free (but refurbished) XM Radio that I can plug into the car and use, bypassing my car stereo. I knew it would be a not-nice looking wiring mess, but I was kinda excited about using it at home, on a boat, or whatever.

All I had to pay was the $7-something shipping charge and it was mine. I asked if I could use my existing XM account, so no extra charge, he said of course. I told him I didn't want it if I had to pay extra to use it - he said he understood, there would be no charge. We went through the terms (they record it all) and I said at the end "and there will be no recurring monthly charge for this, correct?" and he said yes, that's correct.

We got off the phone and while XM sucked the rest of my drive to Dallas, I thought the new radio may be handy to have.

A few days later I saw a new XM/Sirrus charge on my bank account - the $7.98 charge for shipping... okay. But below that was a freaking charge for a monthly fee of $35.53! I could not believe it. I know it was not a charge for the two cars renewing because I had just completed that two weeks before.

I was PISSED to say the least. I called them first thing the next morning and was NOT nice. I told them to keep their *$^#!! radio and refund my money NOW, and they need to fire that lying sack of crap who scammed me. But, of course, they had already shipped the radio. I got my refund 3 days later.

When the radio came, I had to open it up to get the RMA paper out of it, tape it back up, and drive to the UPS office to ship it....

DON'T FALL FOR THE FREE RADIO OFFER...

Grrr
Old 02-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Lucasmdemele
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sucks

xm radio reception has been really crappy lately putting it nicely but hey ever since I've got my car may of last year I've never paid a dime for it and it still works I can't complain too much and when it really bugs me just gotta switch to the iPod
Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM
VitalZ
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2015 Hyundai Sonata SE with Sirius and it never cut out on me. Going under trees the signal was flawless. I have recently traded that in for a 2011 G37x and the Sirius XM cuts out while driving under tress and just randomly in new spots. I attribute it to the sucky antenna in the G37 since the Hyundai never had an issue.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I just exchanged my 2013 G and had xm. Fwiw, I had very few problems with drop outs.