Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Codes C1109 & P0459

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM
1nceBitn2wceShy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Error Codes C1109 & P0459

Hi, All. I have a 2013 G37x Sedan, automatic, 42k miles. I started it after a meeting today and it popped a SES light, took it to Autozone and pulled both of these codes: C1109 & P0459.

Possibly important: A handful of days ago I got back from traveling and my car CHUGGED to start at the airport…battery was almost dead, it was also 11 degrees outside.

Also Possibly important: I have occasionally gotten the "Gas Cap Loose" alert on the dash.

Any info that you might have on how to fix or what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to search before posting and couldn't find info (could be user error).

Thanks in advance! -Kyle
Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
C1109 - BATTERY VOLTAGE ABNORMAL

Most likely due to your car having a low charged battery trying to start the car.

P0459 Trouble Code: Evaporative Emissions System Purge Control Valve Circuit High

I'm more familiar with Toyotas. With that being said, generally a Toyota with a bad gas cap doesn't throw this code. Common bad gas cap related codes i usually see are "small leak" or "gross leak".

Your car is a 2013 with only 42k miles.

This is covered under the federal emissions warranty which states it is 48 months or 60,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

Take it to your dealer and let them diag it. Shouldn't charge you a diag fee because it is warranty work. They will run a evap test on the system and they'll be able to figure out if it is indeed a gas cap or a charcoal canister.
The following users liked this post:
1nceBitn2wceShy (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:04 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
with your c1109 fault code i would check your battery and alternator. load test both components and see if your battery is able to hold a charge and whether your alternator is putting out enough amps and volts. this is an abs unit low voltage code and usually the pump will pull a lot of amps when it does self checks or when it actually gets actuated during operation.
with your p0459 the previous poster stated to take it into the dealer is what i suggest too since it is covered under federal emissions warranty which is actually 8yrs or 80k miles. flip open your owners warranty and look for purge valve under evaporative emissions components. now it will be covered under warranty assuming that the component didn't fail because of rodent damage.
The following users liked this post:
1nceBitn2wceShy (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM
1nceBitn2wceShy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for your feedback so far. I'm sure it's NOT a result of rodent damage…at least surely not from my place. In a previous life, I also had a Turbo in the garage as well (ahh, those were the days), I have mouse traps and the high frequency repellers everywhere in the garage LOL.

Can an Autozone load test a battery?

If it's the alternator, should that be covered (warranty) because I'm still within the 4yr/50k threshold?
Old 01-11-2017, 02:08 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Autozone will test it for free. And yea, alternator should be covered unter warranty. The dealer should also test the battery for free.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nceBitn2wceShy
Thank you for your feedback so far. I'm sure it's NOT a result of rodent damage…at least surely not from my place. In a previous life, I also had a Turbo in the garage as well (ahh, those were the days), I have mouse traps and the high frequency repellers everywhere in the garage LOL.

Can an Autozone load test a battery?

If it's the alternator, should that be covered (warranty) because I'm still within the 4yr/50k threshold?

don't waste your time with autozone or some other mainstream autoparts storefront like oreilys. they "do not" have the correct equipment to load test the battery and the alternator. they will use a small handheld digital battery tester that only tests the surface charge of the battery. often the piece of garbage tester they got will show "recharge battery". the only true way to test a battery or alternator is with a tester that can put on "load" onto the electrical sys and it will show whether a battery has the capacity to hold a charge and whether an alternator is putting out the correct voltage and amperage.
since your car is covered under warranty i wouldn't even waste time and just take it to the dealer and have them look at the fault codes. who knows maybe it needs a software flash for a control module and doesn't even need a component replacement.