Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
So I got the Sparco R600 seat in the other day and posted a bunch more about it on my build page. Short version- It is much lighter (almost 25lbs.), way more comfortable, keeps you planted in the seat, and just barely clears/touches the B-pillar. The bad news is that it sits up a little higher to the point that my helmet hits the roof. I have a guy in our body shop who can fab up new brackets in the next month or two. Now that it is cold here it is also really nice to have a cloth seat that is not freezing cold when you get in compared to the leather.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:06 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Kroy

Those sparco sit up higher? Argh, this does not bode well for me.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
If you need low, go with side mounted seats. They should be able to go lower than anyone would reasonably want to go in this chassis.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:54 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Bummer - was hoping it'd sit lower because I wanted a set of braum seats with these brackets.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM
kroy
Registered Member

I see these are on bride brackets; would sparco brackets be comparable?

@Crazyirish side brackets are fixed position though, right?

I'm also getting large chrono road seats, not sure if they will have fitment issue.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
2Gornot2g- Did you get 2 allen bolts or 4 with your Bride seat rails to mount the brackets to the seat? For some reason I only got 2 so I need to run to the hardware store to pick up two more. I also noticed that the holes in the front cross rail are too wide to mate up to the Sparco seat so I will need to re-drill one of them. (hole on the left without the shiny silver allen bolt) Oddly enough the holes in the rear cross rail seem to match up ok with the seat??

Mine came with all the hardware needed... They actually came with 8 bolts per bracket... 4 flat head allen bolts and 4 hex head bolts. I'd just pick up some extra hardware at the store and get stainless steal hardware if you can find it.

Odd that the holes didn't line up. Mine lined up perfectly. Did the seat mounting pattern match the bracket dimensions that I posted? At least that's a fairly easy fix.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So I got the Sparco R600 seat in the other day and posted a bunch more about it on my build page. Short version- It is much lighter (almost 25lbs.), way more comfortable, keeps you planted in the seat, and just barely clears/touches the B-pillar. The bad news is that it sits up a little higher to the point that my helmet hits the roof. I have a guy in our body shop who can fab up new brackets in the next month or two. Now that it is cold here it is also really nice to have a cloth seat that is not freezing cold when you get in compared to the leather.

I'm guessing most of the height increase is due to the thickness of the lower seat cushion? From this pic it looks like you Sparco seat has a pretty thick seat cushion whereas the seat cushions on my Cobra seats are quite thin.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

Originally Posted by kroy
They can be used with sliders. Popular setup in the 240sx world as the stock seats are very low already. Unless you meant fixed back seats, in which case yes, most side mounts are fixed back. There are several exceptions.

Whether this setup would work properly in a G, I dont know. Further research is required.
The following users liked this post:
kroy (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 08:50 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
They can be used with sliders. Popular setup in the 240sx world as the stock seats are very low already. Unless you meant fixed back seats, in which case yes, most side mounts are fixed back. There are several exceptions.

Whether this setup would work properly in a G, I dont know. Further research is required.
By fixed position I meant no slide.

I hate to be a bother, but can anyone point me to the right direct of where to research? I don't know much about seat brackets and am not really sure where to start.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Crazyirish
If you need low, go with side mounted seats. They should be able to go lower than anyone would reasonably want to go in this chassis.
I considered side mounts, but it would be really tough to do in this car since side mounts are totally flat on the bottom and the floor of the G37 sedan is not flat at all so there would be really no way to mount them- especially since you would need to drill new holes in the floor and find some way to reinforce them so they could handle the impact of a crash. The other issue is that almost all side mount seats are non-adjustable race seats- not really ideal for a street car.

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Bummer - was hoping it'd sit lower because I wanted a set of braum seats with these brackets.
Bride makes the only seat rails I know of that fit the sedan. The Braum seats might be ok for the street, but they are not designed to handle cornering loads on the track. I can sit in my Sparco seat ok without a helmet. It is not a huge increase in height, but it does not work with a helmet for me at 6'1". Someone shorter than me might be ok with a helmet.

I see these are on bride brackets; would sparco brackets be comparable?

I'm also getting large chrono road seats, not sure if they will have fitment issue.
Sparco does not make brackets for the G37 sedan. If you get chrono road seats, just make sure they are not any wider than the R600. Mine fits, but it does touch the B-pillar if I recline it enough.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Mine came with all the hardware needed... They actually came with 8 bolts per bracket... 4 flat head allen bolts and 4 hex head bolts. I'd just pick up some extra hardware at the store and get stainless steal hardware if you can find it.

Odd that the holes didn't line up. Mine lined up perfectly. Did the seat mounting pattern match the bracket dimensions that I posted? At least that's a fairly easy fix.
The dimensions on the Bride bracket and Sparco seat were identical, but not in person. Sparco uses the wider holes compared to your Cobra seat. Not a big deal as I got new hardware and widened one hole.

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I'm guessing most of the height increase is due to the thickness of the lower seat cushion? From this pic it looks like you Sparco seat has a pretty thick seat cushion whereas the seat cushions on my Cobra seats are quite thin.
Actually, no. The front of the seat cushion is quite thick, but the back is very thin. It raised me up roughly 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back. It just feels like I am sitting up really high. I still had to recline the factory seat with a helmet. The surprising part is that this seat is much more comfortable than the factory seat. Must be more dense/better foam.

By fixed position I meant no slide.

I hate to be a bother, but can anyone point me to the right direct of where to research? I don't know much about seat brackets and am not really sure where to start.
This thread is a great place to start... and end since Bride seems to make the only seat rails compatible for the sedan. Be patient as they take about 3-4 months to get from Japan.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:32 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses 4drz. I have a coupe though. What does that mean for me? Do I have even less space?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM
Crazyirish
Premier Member

It means there are more rails that are advertised to work for your car. Wedge and Buddy Club comes to mind.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Wedge is another one that makes brackets for the G37 Coupe and 370Z, but not for the sedans.

Brackets
Old 11-15-2017, 10:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses 4drz. I have a coupe though. What does that mean for me? Do I have even less space?
I'm not sure about space, but you have a lot more options to choose from for seat rails than those of us with sedans.

On a side note, I am now somehow sitting a bit lower in the seat now. The padding must have softened up a bit. I noticed this because I never raised up my rear view mirror, but today was the first time it looked to be just about the right height. I still plan to lower the seat bracket so that I don't have to recline the seat way back to fit with a helmet.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:53 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Well that's kind of nice for you. I'm guessing the lower cushion padding just conformed to your body a bit once you broke the new seat in.

I remember when I first installed my new seats it kind of felt like I was sitting a little bit lower than with the OEM seats... but now that you mention it, I don't recall having to readjust any of the mirrors so I'm guessing that means I must be sitting at about the same height as with the OEM Sport seats. Oh well, I'm only 5'10" and most of that is in my legs, so I still have plenty of clearance for my gigantic head... even with a helmet on.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?