Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:38 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Not that it says anything, but they spelled it Infinity, not Infiniti. Not off to the greatest of starts with it.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Its most likely just a resistor inside of there....
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Epiphany
Not that it says anything, but they spelled it Infinity, not Infiniti. Not off to the greatest of starts with it.
I noticed that, but hopefully it works as this will be so much easier than trying to track down a used seat cushion, tearing it apart to get the weight sensor out, tearing my brand new seat apart and installing this sensor so that it works.

Originally Posted by iCrap
Its most likely just a resistor inside of there....
The only other option I have seen work (and not well) is mentioned above, but if you or someone else knows another way that has actually worked, I am all ears.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Has anyone tried or have a need for these Occupant Classification Sensor Emulators? They are what you use to trick the passenger side air bag weight sensor into thinking it is working fine when you have an aftermarket seat. I was going to order one and saw it was $20 less if you order 2 in case anyone else was planning to do aftermarket seats. Or has anyone tried one and know that it works ok?

Infinity G37 G35 Passenger Seat Occupancy Sensor OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION SENSOR EMULATOR

What's the price with the discount? I was thinking of replacing my sensor with one of these because in the new seat its a bit finicky when my wife is sitting in it. She apparently just barely weighs enough for the sensor to work properly in the new seat, but if she doesn't sit in the seat straight or has one leg up over the other it tends to trigger the weight sensor and turn the passenger side air bag off. No problems when I'm sitting in the passenger's seat, though... apparently my 180 lbs is no match for the OEM weight sensor.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Looks like $89 individually or $69/ea. for 2 or more
Old 09-02-2017, 12:58 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

The only other option I have seen work (and not well) is mentioned above, but if you or someone else knows another way that has actually worked, I am all ears.

Well, no I've never tried it but that is how most sensors work. They give a resistance which is meausured by the computer for either an on or off state. So i'm almost 100% sure that inside that fancy box is just a resistor.

One thing you can do is unplug the seat, measure the resistance with a multimeter, then sit on it and measure it again. Then you'll know what resitor value to use.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well, no I've never tried it but that is how most sensors work. They give a resistance which is meausured by the computer for either an on or off state. So i'm almost 100% sure that inside that fancy box is just a resistor.

One thing you can do is unplug the seat, measure the resistance with a multimeter, then sit on it and measure it again. Then you'll know what resitor value to use.
Well, this is good news. So if I get a resistor (which I imagine costs a lot less than $89) the car would just arm the airbag all the time? That would work. Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:53 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Anxious to see the outcome and how the seats look!
Old 09-02-2017, 01:22 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Well, this is good news. So if I get a resistor (which I imagine costs a lot less than $89) the car would just arm the airbag all the time? That would work. Thanks for the idea!

Yep that's the idea. A resistor costs under a dollar too!
Old 09-02-2017, 01:51 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
My lunch box will make the seat belt light turn on. I usually just plug the seat belt in.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Anxious to see the outcome and how the seats look!
Me too. I am still waiting to get the driver's side seat rails that Evasive was supposed to originally get a few weeks ago and then it changed to the end of August. Really glad I did not order the seat based on when I was supposed to get the rails as I believe I only have 30 days to return if they do not fit.

Nice! I will definitely give that a shot. So you think I can just plug a resistor into both ends of the plug and it should be good? If I get some weird rating of 2.65 or something should I get a resistor rated slightly higher or lower? Thanks!
Old 09-08-2017, 04:09 PM
vannatte
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Does anyone know if the front non-sport seat cushion bottoms in an 08/09 Coupe and Sedan are interchangeable?
Old 09-08-2017, 06:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

But wait, if I get the wrong resistor will I run the chance of setting off the airbag or just the light?
Old 09-08-2017, 11:20 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

No, because all that does is tell the car if there is a person sitting in the seat. The airbags are triggered by the impact sensors. Only way to trigger the airbag would be if you accidently smack your car with a sledgehammer. (While its running, airbags dont even deploy when a car is off)

I did a quick google search and didn't find anyone who has attempted this on an Infiniti, but apparently it's pretty common for these occupancy sensors to fail on BMW seats. They are bypassing it with a 4.7ohm resistor. But like I said, you need to just get a multimeter and figure out the correct value.

So, you need to bypass the occupancy sensor and also put resistors on the actual seat airbag plugs and then the whole system should work properly. Also, apparently if the airbag light is on / one airbag is not detected the ENTIRE system won't work, and none will deploy so it's important to get it working correctly.

I've been thinking about changing my seats but I'm still undecided because of the saftey concerns. The shoulder bolsters will touch the side of the car (B pillar) which could affect the side airbag deployment, and of course you lose the seat bags. I was in a front / side impact crash last year which spun my car almost 180 degrees. Side curtain airbag and seat airbag went off and I walked away fine, but I can't help but wonder how bad it would have been without those.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Cool, that is what I figured about the resistors. Will it always send a signal or do I have to turn the ignition on to get a reading with a multimeter? Not the end of the world if I have to turn the car on as I am sure I can reset the airbag light with my code reader.

On a good note, I just got an e-mail from UPS that my seat rails for the driver's side are supposed to be here next week. Woohoo finally!

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced the front seats in their sedan?