G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

My 2012 G37S is due for the 30K service. As you can see I don't put on many miles but it is my daily driver (I live close to job). I'm trying to prevent my dealer from having a field day on me, so I am asking here what is mandatory & what is optional. I know I could do some myself but don't want to. I did the cabin filter & air filters but what should I let them do?
The car is 5 years old now so I may need a few services. Any help?
Old 11-16-2016, 02:43 PM
rsingerG37

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerB
My 2012 G37S is due for the 30K service. As you can see I don't put on many miles but it is my daily driver (I live close to job). I'm trying to prevent my dealer from having a field day on me, so I am asking here what is mandatory & what is optional. I know I could do some myself but don't want to. I did the cabin filter & air filters but what should I let them do?
The car is 5 years old now so I may need a few services. Any help?
The only things you should really need done at this point is a brake fluid flush and oil change if its due.

Maybe they will suggest trans fluid or diff fluid but not necessary at those miles.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:26 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
if you haven't done it yet, you own the car and are planning to keep it i would suggest doing the rear diff, brake fluid, pwr steering fluid and the air/cabin filters. of course oi/filter too if it's time.

a great way to avoid being soaked by the dealer is to not use the dealer for routine preventative maintenance. if you are not mechanically inclined (these are all simple DIY), take your ride to a trusted local independent shop to get the same services done with equivalent or superior fluids at a fraction of dealer costs. most shops would work out a flat fee for these services if you did them all at once.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:27 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. I will shop around.
I did buy it off of my lease & plan on keeping it.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:18 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

FYI I did take it to the dealer & glad I did. Changed rear diff & brake fluid plus oil change. Tech found an oil leak at timing cover, replaced under warranty. I had a 15% off coupon that they honored. Total was only $400 & that included a QX30s w/800 miles to drive all day. Fun car with a lot more technology than ours but what a rough ride. I had a headache from all the bumps in the road. I believe this model is made in conjunction with MBZ & the cabin looks like it.
I can't believe my stock front brakes (S model) are still good. Was expecting a call with bad news but all good!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:33 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Good to know that the leak was fixed for you.

but even at $400 that seems expensive. I would assume that the dealer charged you about $50 for the oil change, the rear diff fluid change is easy and quick. Should take no longer than 10 minutes once the car is on the lift. The rear diff fluid change should technically be cheaper too. (no filter to use and less fluid).

the brake fluid could take some time, lets estimate 1.5hr. @ usual shop rates about $250.

I keep forgetting how much of a rip off dealer prices are.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:37 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ my local Infiniti dealer just charged me $85+tx and shop fees last week for the brake fluid flush service. regular price was $100 but i had 15% of promo. and these are Canadian prices. actual time in shop was 35 mins.

of course, as i have learned before, using OEM dealers does not guarantee quality work. they screwed up the brake fluid change so now i have to go back today for them to properly bleed the system. i've been driving with Russian roulette brakes for the past week. sometimes i have pressure when i should...other times the pedal travels waaay past where it should. it was immediately evident when i left the dealer but i had no chance to rectify it so i just called them right away to advise of the issue.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:16 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sigh... The brake fluid exchange is one of the biggest scams around. Not only is 30k an absurdly short lifespan for the fluid, most of the shops that charge you for a fluid change, don't actually do it.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by SomeName
Sigh... The brake fluid exchange is one of the biggest scams around. Not only is 30k an absurdly short lifespan for the fluid, most of the shops that charge you for a fluid change, don't actually do it.
The relevant consideration on brake fluid is age, not mileage. If you want your brakes to feel like they're at 100%, then fluid swap every two or three years. That said, it just isn't that big of a deal for a daily driver, unless that DD is a hobby car and you enjoy obsessing over all the little things.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:39 AM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I have only changed the brake fluid once in my 2003 G35 with currently 256,000 miles on the car and a daily driver.

(did remove the fluid in the reservoir a couple of times and replace with new though.)

No issues with braking and no issues with any brake components, still all original and working just fine.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The relevant consideration on brake fluid is age, not mileage. If you want your brakes to feel like they're at 100%, then fluid swap every two or three years. That said, it just isn't that big of a deal for a daily driver, unless that DD is a hobby car and you enjoy obsessing over all the little things.
Even though my miles are low, the car is going on 5 years. I feel better knowing I have clean fluid to keep me safe. I'm too old to be crawling under my car so paying a bit more was fine & I did enjoy the loaner, coffee & cookies at the dealership
Old 12-05-2016, 08:00 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

A couple months ago, one of the front brake lines on my truck ('94, 215k miles) finally rotted through. I ended up needing to replace both front oe calipers, only because the bleeder screws had no chance of opening (NY salt). Point is, I only bled them maybe once in 23 years. And the G is 1000X better in initial quality.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:48 AM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SomeName
A couple months ago, one of the front brake lines on my truck ('94, 215k miles) finally rotted through. I ended up needing to replace both front oe calipers, only because the bleeder screws had no chance of opening (NY salt). Point is, I only bled them maybe once in 23 years. And the G is 1000X better in initial quality.
Wow you live on the edge! I recently bled my motorcycle's brake lines & the fluid was almost black. Why take the chance?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:02 PM
SomeName
Registered Member

Yeah but riding a motorcycle on the expressway would scare the cr@p out of me.
Maybe I'm overly trusting in my truck, or maybe I just HATE anyone that's trying to get MY money
Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
i wouldnt do trans and diff yet id wait till 60k. unless u tow lol