G37 Sedan

Soon to be G37 owner! Need advice

Old 10-31-2016, 05:31 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Soon to be G37 owner! Need advice

Hi there everyone! This is my first thread on this forum. I'm coming over from g35driver. I just sold my g35 and am now looking to upgrade to a G37. I found one that I really like, but the problem is 1) It has a rebuilt title and 2) The car was only lowered with only springs.

I'm going to have an inspector come out to see if the repairs were done properly. I know it's rare but it's possible to be getting a really good deal. That said, I'm very concerned about the suspension. I'm no expert, but to my understanding, when lowering your car properly, you need to swap more components than just the springs. How true is this? Can you sometimes get away with just springs without future problems? If not, can I add needed components now, or is it too late?

Furthermore, the exhaust scrapes when he goes over speed bumps.. Why is this happening? For those of you that have your G lowered, was this an issue? How can it be corrected. Here are some pics of the G.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by HotSawce
Hi there everyone! This is my first thread on this forum. I'm coming over from g35driver. I just sold my g35 and am now looking to upgrade to a G37. I found one that I really like, but the problem is 1) It has a rebuilt title and 2) The car was only lowered with only springs.
Rebuilt titles are risky since you don't really know what the extent of the damage was beforehand. Definitely get all the paperwork from the seller including insurance/repair receipts and go over everything that was replaced.

I'm no expert, but to my understanding, when lowering your car properly, you need to swap more components than just the springs. How true is this? Can you sometimes get away with just springs without future problems? If not, can I add needed components now, or is it too late?[/quote]Depends on what kind of springs he used. Most of the time, lowering with springs and not replacing other suspension components can cause your shocks to blow quickly. That would be the most significant part. You can easily replace them with aftermarket shocks and they will hold up fine with the lowering springs. Or you can choose to replace the entire system with a coilover setup.

Most people here replace the springs, shocks, and camber arms when lowering. You could also replace other suspension components such as ball joints and bushings but most people don't really bother unless they are broken.

Furthermore, the exhaust scrapes when he goes over speed bumps.. Why is this happening? For those of you that have your G lowered, was this an issue? How can it be corrected. Here are some pics of the G.

Well, that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the help.
Probably just because it's low. I have a lowered sedan, pretty low compared to most sedans but I clear most road hazards/bumps with no issues. I haven't scraped my exhaust or bumper; I usually only scrape the undertray. I'm guessing the owner of the car just went straight over bumps. Most people that are lowered will take bumps at an angle so that they don't scrape.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:08 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by the93owner
Depends on what kind of springs he used. Most of the time, lowering with springs and not replacing other suspension components can cause your shocks to blow quickly. That would be the most significant part. You can easily replace them with aftermarket shocks and they will hold up fine with the lowering springs. Or you can choose to replace the entire system with a coilover setup.

Most people here replace the springs, shocks, and camber arms when lowering. You could also replace other suspension components such as ball joints and bushings but most people don't really bother unless they are broken.
The car was lowered with tein springs. So in regards to alignment issues, is that what the camber kit would prevent/fix?

Originally Posted by the93owner
Probably just because it's low. I have a lowered sedan, pretty low compared to most sedans but I clear most road hazards/bumps with no issues. I haven't scraped my exhaust or bumper; I usually only scrape the undertray. I'm guessing the owner of the car just went straight over bumps. Most people that are lowered will take bumps at an angle so that they don't scrape.
So should this be a big concern of mine? What if the car can't go over a bump without scraping there? It's one thing if it was the undertray or something, but the exhaust to the point where a leak was caused?

Last edited by HotSawce; 10-31-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:12 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I only did the springs / struts when lowering. I got the alignment in spec, aside from the camber so it ended up being fine.

I would avoid that G though. it's rebuilt title and it looks heavily modified. you just don't know how well the repair work is, if it's done properly, if those mods are installed properly, etc.

How much are they asking for it?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:13 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
I only did the springs / struts when lowering. I got the alignment in spec, aside from the camber so it ended up being fine.

I would avoid that G though. it's rebuilt title and it looks heavily modified. you just don't know how well the repair work is, if it's done properly, if those mods are installed properly, etc.

How much are they asking for it?
It's a 2013 with only 48k miles. With a clean title KBB value is ~20k. They're asking only 13500, and I feel I can get him down to at least 12,500

Before I make any purchase, my plan was to hire an inspector to come do a thorough inspection of the vehicle, to see if the repairs were done properly or not. If so, then I think I really want to jump on it, because that would be a steal.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
That's not too bad...
Get it properly inspected by a mechanic though. You have to wonder what happened to it to cause $15k+ in damages in the first place. If it had frame damage i would walk away from it.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Well this isnt a clear title so kbb means squat...not really a "steal". Not trying to rain on your parade...just be sure not to get blinded.

You coming from a g35, you shoukd have alot of knowledge of the car as its a very similar platform. No offese but seems like your asking foolish questions that a simple google search can solve with the lowering and springs questions.

Ive been lowered on springs for the past 3 years with 0 issues on either of my G's
Old 10-31-2016, 11:01 PM
limequat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the price, I might take the chance. I wouldn't worry about the lowering springs on stock shocks, but the drop does look a bit extreme.

As for the fact that it was rebuilt: check the body gaps, make sure doors, truck, hood shut tightly and cleanly. Is the airbag light off? Any untoward lights at all?

Speaking from experience, it's very easy to total a G37, especially if any of the airbags deploy. For instance, the infiniti recommended repair procedure for a deployed side airbag is a new seatback for $2500, plus a new module for $700, and a new sensor ($no idea).
Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 AM
Warlock5150

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problems with only running springs, but I wouldn't touch that car with a 10 foot pole if you ever plan on reselling it.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:04 AM
James Harden
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You would be safer down the road going with a clear title G37 with less miles for a price closer to 20k. You might even be able to find one still under factory warranty.

I got my 2013 with 32,000 miles for 21k and it still had 28 months/30k miles left on the warranty. To me, this was closer to a steal than going with a cheap, rebuilt model that is a huge question mark down the road.

I wouldn't gamble with that one.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:30 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Might be just me but a rebuilt title and under the car looks like that, Just means the previous owner didn't care for the car. Look like they slammed over speed bumps :/.
The rebuilt would scare me enough. I agree with the above , why not just look for a clean car closer to 20K? I got mine 09 with 58k for $15,500 a few year ago. I'm sure you could find a 11-12 for mid teens with good mileage.

I'm lower on Swifts and my exhaust doesn't look like that :/
Old 11-11-2016, 06:58 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
If you're serious about looking for a G hit me up. I have a '10 X sedan with 56k, I'm modded but done right and have 99% of the original parts plus extras.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:01 AM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Given the craptacular resale value of these cars. I would walk away and get a clean title one. That car won't bring anything when you decide to dump it.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:00 AM
aeubank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A car with a rebuilt title that was heavily modded can hide all sorts of issues like increased tire wear, brake pads that wear on one side faster than the other, and the car can go down the road sideways. It's never a good policy to purchase a salvaged car without fully understanding the extent of the damage (with pictures to back that up).

On 10/30 I purchased a 2013 G37s 6mt sedan from a dealer in VA. It came with Carfax, and I did a thorough inspection of it. The lines are clean but there are a few scratches but no dents.

Good luck but this car will cost you much more in the long run than you realize..
Old 11-13-2016, 11:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 696 Likes on 499 Posts
I would stay away from a car with a rebuilt title. A rebuilt title means that the insurance company considered it a total loss so that car has had some serious work done to it. Typically, you are lucky if it is worth half as much when you go to trade it in. Many times it is not even worth that much, because any reputable dealer knows they can never resell the car.

Search this Thread