Please Help!! So MAD! Dealer issue - Rear Trunk Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:23 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Please Help!! So MAD! Dealer issue - Rear Trunk Spoiler

Hi,

So I just got a call from Infiniti and it's really frustrating. To make the story short here is the history

1) 6/27- Bought a brand new OEM rear spoiler through Myg37.com
2) 6/30- Received the item unharmed not damaged.
3) 7/1- Went to infiniti to install - $199 / took 3.5 hours (expecting great result)
4) 7/1 - Received the car, had to go to airport right away, couldn't really check it out.
5) 7/5 - I realized the spoiler was not installed properly. Or not installed professionally. Not good. Even rear camera was not straight.

https://imgur.com/a/lud5I

6) 7/6 - Went back to infiniti and demanded a perfection or a refund.
7) 7/6 - No response from Infiniti same day I dropped off.
8) 7/7 - No response from Infiniti next day
9) 7/8 - No response from Infiniti Today - I called in service department
10) 7/8 - talked Service Adviser and he told me the service manager is not in because his house was hit by a lightening. Waiting on him to make a decision. However this is what he told me on the phone:

(Before I get into this, when I dropped off the car, a technician and another adviser was inspecting and TOLD me that the spoiler was not installed properly. Also mentioned that the camera is indeed NOT straight)

A - "We inspected your spoiler and it looks like the parts you brought us have issues(the double sided tape)"

Me- "It is OEM parts. There should be no issues"

A- "I'm not sure where you got this parts. Maybe from ebay? it looks like the double sided tapes are old"

Me- "I bought it through the forum and everyone else bought them too. Nobody is having issues but me."

A- "If we try to take the spoiler off, it will break. I'm not sure if we can do this. And the camera looks straight for me. I don't see an issue."

Me - "That does not make sense because I drove 30 min to get here instead of a bodyshop near me. And I also paid $200 for it when I could have it done with $50. And you guys took 3.5 hours to do it. I decided to come to infiniti to get professional work. That is not a professional work."

"Everyone bought the same spoiler from same dealer. Nobody is having problem. And when I dropped off the car the other day, an adviser and a technician did told me that the spoiler was not installed properly also told me that the camera is not striaght"

A- "We would have to wait for the service manager and see what he thinks about the situation"

Sigh.

What am I supposed to do when the adviser says something like 'you did not purchased the spoiler from the dealership. There is nothing we can do'

???

Update 1 - 7/8 - 2:26PM
Manager called me. Told me that the doublesided tapes are defected. Told me its their fault that they did not inform me about it in first place. However he gave me two options.

A) Contact the Seller. Return and get a new spoiler. Will install it for free.
- Out of the option. The seller doesn't even have a spoiler to give out. Its all sold out. Plus I'm sure they don't accept returns after installing it.

B) Get a full refund. Take the car with spoiler. Recommended me to go to bodyshop to make it look flush.

They do not want to take off the spoiler because they are afraid they will damage the spoiler. Drilled in the middle section and double sided tapes on both side.
I'm not sure if I should just take option B or keep fighting for a perfection.

I asked them to get a new spoiler for me and install properly but he told me that they can't do that because I did not buy through 'infiniti'. They would eat up the labor charges but not the part costs.

What should I do?

Update 2 - 7/8 3:23 PM
What about the camera? don't you have to take off the spoiler to install? I forgot mention that to the manager.

Update 3 - 7/8 4:09 PM
Told manager about the camera. He talked to the person who actually worked on the spoiler. and this is what he said:
"I just spoke with the tech that did the install. He informed me there was no adjustment to the camera at all, there are four simple screws at the bracket that are not slotted. He did tell me that there is a sticker on the inside of the spoiler that said something to the effect of blemished, no guarantees, no returns. He said he did not remove that sticker, so it is still there. That sticker is not on a new genuine spoiler from Infiniti. I do wish he had brought that to the attention of the advisor, but he was under the impression that you would have been aware of that since you provided the part. "

Manager is keep telling me that the parts are not right. He told me two lead technicians inspected and said it was properly installed but the part is not right; even if they re-install the tapes, it will have gaps anytime since its the part that are too straight(?). Also told me its 'defected' because the reason why the camera is not straight is because it is adjusted to the spoiler; which means the spoiler adjuster is not straight.

He is still offering me the two options. If I take the the option B which is full refund, can a body can fix it for me?
1) I can remove the spoiler double sided tapes with heatgun/goo gone.
2) Can you remove the bolts that were drilled in there? is it possible?
3) Can a decent bodyshop can fix the issue with the camera alginment and spoiler flushness?

Update 4 - 7/8 6PM

The seller contacted me and told me that he will call the dealership for me on Monday. I have informed the manager that the seller will contact him so let's see what would happen next.

Update 5 7/11 1PM
Sent an email to the manager saying I want my money back and probably install it by myself or somewhere else. Also asked if the seller ever contacted him.

I have not heard from the seller of the spoiler as of yet. If I do, I will let you know. I can issue you a refund on your card when you arrive to pickup the vehicle. Just please understand that I cannot be responsible for anything else at that point. I understand that other parties may like to place blame on the installation, and if I were to remove the spoiler and find that to be the case, I would have no problem taking care of everything. However, if the spoiler is removed elsewhere, I cannot make any further repairs or payment based off of another's opinion. If you would like to buy the factory spoiler, I will still put it on at no charge at this point.

I do appreciate your business, and I obviously want this situation resolved for you. Please understand that I cannot make any further judgements unless I remove the spoiler here. Unfortunately, I would not be able to reinstall the current spoiler after removal. I do believe you have received a warped spoiler from your supplier, and that is indeed why we cannot get it to sit flush on the trunk as it should. I do completely trust the opinions of the shop team leaders that inspected the install job, and yes, they have installed many spoilers themselves. If you would like to reconsider, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Update 7/13

So I took my car to other dealership for inspecting possible corrosion repair and I showed them my spoiler.

I asked them if can fix it and the adviser(or a manager bc he was wearing different shirt . Not sure) told me that he should cover under my CPO elite extended warranty.

I did not mention that I bought it from a private seller nor the incident I had with other dealership.

He told me to bring the car in next week.

Should I mention about the spoiler? Do you guys think they will know about what happened?

I mean, if I didn't brag about the spoiler at the other place in first place, it would meant that 'I brought the OEM spoiler and the dealership installed it'. Infiniti would not install non-OEM products on my car without my permission anyways(which they failed if the spoiler is really non-OEM). They told me they won't install any non-OEM which means the mechanic inspected the product(which they failed again) and installed it (and again).

However, I'm not sure if this new dealership can look up my car(maybe service history).

I wouldn't mind if they tell me if they cant do it but I'm worried if they take it off the spoiler(probably break it) and tell me that its not a OEM and they cant do it.

What should I do?

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 07-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:40 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Did anybody install the spoilers at the dealorship??
Old 07-08-2016, 02:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
Hi,

So I just got a call from Infiniti and it's really frustrating. To make the story short here is the history

1) Bought the $75 brand new OEM rear spoiler through Myg37.com
2) Received the item unharmed not damaged.
3) Went to infiniti to install - $199 / took 3.5 hours (expecting great result)
4) received the car, had to go to airport right away, couldn't really check it out.
5) 1 day after, I realized the spoiler was not installed properly. Or not installed professionally. Not good. Even rear camera was not straight.

6) Went back to infiniti and demanded a perfection or a refund.
7) No response from Infiniti same day I dropped off.
8) No response from Infiniti next day
9) No response from Infiniti Today - I called in service department
10) talked Service Adviser and he told me the service manager is not in because his house was hit by lightening. Waiting on him to make decision. However this is what he told me on the phone:

(Before I get into this, when I dropped off the car, a technician and another adviser was inspecting and TOLD me that the spoiler was not installed properly. Also mentioned that the camera is indeed NOT straight)

A - blah blah blah(talking about the lighting on managers house) then told me
"We inspected your spoiler and it looks like the parts you brought us have issues(the double sided tape)"

Me- "It is OEM parts. There should be no issues"

A- "I'm not sure where you got this parts. Maybe from ebay? it looks like the double sided tapes are old"

Me- "I bought it through the forum and everyone else bought them too. Nobody is having issues but me."

A- "If we try to take the spoiler off, it will break. I'm not sure if we can do this. And the camera looks straight for me. I don't see an issue."

Me - "That does not make sense because I drove 30 min to get here instead of a bodyshop near me. And I also paid $200 for it when I could have it done with $50. And you guys took 3.5 hours to do it. I decided to come to infiniti to get professional work. That is not a professional work."

"Everyone bought the same spoiler from same dealer. Nobody is having problem. And when I dropped off the car the other day, an adviser and a technician did told me that the spoiler was not installed properly also told me that the camera is not striaght"

A- "We would have to wait for the service manager and see what he thinks about the situation"

Sigh.

What am I supposed to do when the adviser says something like 'you did not purchased the spoiler from the dealership. There is nothing we can do'

???

Update 1 - 2:26PM
Adviser called me. Told me that the doublesided tapes are defected. Told me its their fault not inform me about it in first place. However he gave me two options.

A) Contact the Seller. Return and get a new spoiler. Will install it for free.
- Out of the option. The seller doesn't even have a spoiler to give out. Its all sold out. Plus I'm sure they don't accept returns after installing it.

B) Get a full refund. Take the car with spoiler. Recommended me to go to bodyshop to make it look flush.

They do not want to take off the spoiler because they are afraid they will damage the spoiler. Drilled in the middle section and double sided tapes on both side.
I'm not sure if I should just take option B or keep fighting for a perfection.

I asked them to get a new spoiler for me and install properly but he told me that they can't do that because I did not buy through 'infiniti'. They would eat up the labor charges but not the part costs.

What should I do?
Get the full refund and remove the spoiler yourself, it will require a heat gun or hot air dryer to soften the adhesive and run fishing line under the tape to release it. You then clean up the goo w/ goo-gone, clean up w/ rubbing alcohol reapply fresh double sided tape and install. You can use my DIY for an idea in that other $75 post. Don't let those bumbling fools touch your car again.
Brad
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
G37X GraSdadow (07-08-2016), kennyz424 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 02:51 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
+1 Yep get your money back and do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
G37X GraSdadow (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 02:56 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
+1 Yep get your money back and do it yourself.
Originally Posted by blnewt
Get the full refund and remove the spoiler yourself, it will require a heat gun or hot air dryer to soften the adhesive and run fishing line under the tape to release it. You then clean up the goo w/ goo-gone, clean up w/ rubbing alcohol reapply fresh double sided tape and install. You can use my DIY for an idea in that other $75 post. Don't let those bumbling fools touch your car again.
Brad
I did saw your DIY post several times but I live in an apartment and do not have all the tools(Drills, heatgun etc). This is not my hometown and I do not have friends who are into cars; or garages. If I do decided to get the refund, I would have to go to a bodyshop.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:06 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Where are you located? Perhaps another member can assist?

All you would need at this point is a hair dryer (leaving the car in the sun for a few hours will help), some fishing line and new double sided tape. The holes should already be present.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:20 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dwb993
Where are you located? Perhaps another member can assist?

All you would need at this point is a hair dryer (leaving the car in the sun for a few hours will help), some fishing line and new double sided tape. The holes should already be present.
I'm located in Durham, NC.

My understanding is that I need to unscrew the bolts out of the trunk and use heatgun or dryer to take off the tapes just like debadging logo signs.

I do not have a garage to plug my dryer. This is so frustrating!

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 07-08-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 PM
Alto101
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I assume you went to Crossroads Infiniti? I live in the area and was going to have them install an OEM spoiler on my coupe when I got around to purchasing one. Sounds like I should do it myself or go somewhere else.

I hope if you have them redo the work they do it properly - good luck
Old 07-08-2016, 03:43 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
This is the exact reason that most shops are extremely reluctant to use customer supplied parts or simply refuse to at all. Good luck.

It's not just a car thing. I was remodeling and wanted to buy my own tile for the tile guy to install. He said he'd be happy to use my materials and only charge me for the labor, but he would not warranty the work - labor or materials. There are too many variables he can't control (like your inadequate double sided tape) if he doesn't source the materials himself. It sucks but in the end I understood his position.

Get a refund. Start over completely. Parts and labor.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:44 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
150% option B. Take your money and have a ship fix it for cheaper.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:54 PM
007pipeline
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
yikes... option b all the way
Old 07-08-2016, 04:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I was a little hasty in my reply since I was really pissed w/ all you've gone through w/ this place
You will need to remove all fasteners first, so this involves removing the trunk lid liner. I didn't drill the outside holes so not sure if you will have to remove the taillights to access those push clips. You may be able to thread your line and release the tape everywhere and then just have those push clips left to pry up, but not sure how much pressure is req'd to do that. If you can remove the taillights(which is pretty easy) and have access to get some snips up into that area and snip those push clips that may be easier (and less likely to scratch anything) than prying them off.
You really might want to wait until "lightning guy" gets back and talk to him. You were installing a true OEM part and like you've noticed no one else had issues. That defective tape excuse has to be crap. Sounds like they just put somebody that hasn't done one before on it
You should be entitled to at least your time to remove it and cost for new tape, along w/ your initial install fee.

I removed my front spoiler w/ heat and fishing line, and although it's not the funnest way to spend your time it can be done. You have two sections with tape so you will have to alternate your heat top to bottom and just ease your line from one side to the other until you get full release.
Good Luck, & sorry to hear that you got a rotten install.
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
G37X GraSdadow (07-08-2016), kennyz424 (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:24 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
I was a little hasty in my reply since I was really pissed w/ all you've gone through w/ this place
You will need to remove all fasteners first, so this involves removing the trunk lid liner. I didn't drill the outside holes so not sure if you will have to remove the taillights to access those push clips. You may be able to thread your line and release the tape everywhere and then just have those push clips left to pry up, but not sure how much pressure is req'd to do that. If you can remove the taillights(which is pretty easy) and have access to get some snips up into that area and snip those push clips that may be easier (and less likely to scratch anything) than prying them off.
You really might want to wait until "lightning guy" gets back and talk to him. You were installing a true OEM part and like you've noticed no one else had issues. That defective tape excuse has to be crap. Sounds like they just put somebody that hasn't done one before on it
You should be entitled to at least your time to remove it and cost for new tape, along w/ your initial install fee.

I removed my front spoiler w/ heat and fishing line, and although it's not the funnest way to spend your time it can be done. You have two sections with tape so you will have to alternate your heat top to bottom and just ease your line from one side to the other until you get full release.
Good Luck, & sorry to hear that you got a rotten install.
Manager is keep telling me that the parts are not right. He told me two lead technicians inspected and said it was properly installed but the part is not right; even if they re-install the tapes, it will have gaps anytime since its the part that are too straight(?).

I might as well take the money back and try to do it by myself first.

If I do, I would:
1) Remove(unscrew) bolts that were drilled (is it possible?) in the trunk to make it lose.
2) apply heat gun and use goo gone to remove the spoiler from the trunk without a damage.
3) Use new tapes(or drill extra holes) and re-install again.

Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm not sure why dealer is telling me removing the spoiler would damage it. I don't understand.

Last edited by G37X GraSdadow; 07-08-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:45 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by G37X GraSdadow
Let me know if I'm wrong. I'm not sure why dealer is telling me removing the spoiler would damange it. I don't understand.
The OEM spoiler install design is such that its not really intended to come off again, especially if the extra holes are drilled. It can be done but will require a great amount of time and care to do so. I suspect the dealership doesn't want to risk causing further damage by taking it off for you and based on how things have gone so far its probably better that they not touch your spoiler anymore.

Do you happen to have pictures of spoiler as it is currently? It might help for us to see what exactly your working with in the event there are other creative solutions short of complete removal.

One thing I wonder is if the holes were drilled exactly in the correct locations. If they are off it could really mess with fitment of the spoiler. I know when I installed the OEM spoiler on my coupe I methodically checked and double checked the drill points and then test fit before I secured it completely.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:07 PM
G37X GraSdadow
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KidJai06
The OEM spoiler install design is such that its not really intended to come off again, especially if the extra holes are drilled. It can be done but will require a great amount of time and care to do so. I suspect the dealership doesn't want to risk causing further damage by taking it off for you and based on how things have gone so far its probably better that they not touch your spoiler anymore.

Do you happen to have pictures of spoiler as it is currently? It might help for us to see what exactly your working with in the event there are other creative solutions short of complete removal.

One thing I wonder is if the holes were drilled exactly in the correct locations. If they are off it could really mess with fitment of the spoiler. I know when I installed the OEM spoiler on my coupe I methodically checked and double checked the drill points and then test fit before I secured it completely.

This is the only picture I have at the moment. Yes they are bad pictures

I contacted the seller and he told me he will call the dealership on Monday.

Quick Reply: Please Help!! So MAD! Dealer issue - Rear Trunk Spoiler