JDM 32 way adjustable Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
JDM 32 way adjustable Coils?

Anyone have these or know of any feedback? Really liking the endless options of adjustability. Seems to have some good selling points but I am by no means an expert in coils. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks

JDM Sport Adjustable Suspension Damper coilover System for 07 2011 G37 rwd Red | eBay

SPRING RATES:
F: 10 kg/mm (564lb/in)
R: 8 kg/mm (450lb/in)
32 Levels of Adjustable Damper Strength
Aluminum Brackets paired with rubber inserts.
Pillowball Upper mounts
Rubber Dust Covers
Adjustable Ride Height
Conservative Spring Rates
Reversed Monotone Shock Design
32 Levels of Adjustment:
1-8: Suggested for track use.
9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use.
17-32: Suggested for common street use.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
From the Genesis forum:
" I asked Jay at GCTuner since I didn't have much info and he said that these were made in the same factory as Megan and BC."

Seems to be well-liked on the BRZ/ZRS forum.

The ad copy is wrong, says inverted monotube but the photo on the Genesis form shows damper body in the bottom.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:10 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Thanks...wonder if the Damper body is by chance different from the G vs. Genesis? Did you watch the attached video in the description?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:09 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
If you're spending that much, why not go with a brand that is well established, known, and easy to contact for technical support? Tein makes two coilovers in that price range.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
No, I didn't watch the video. I'm not the one interested in them.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The fact that they use JDM in their name would raise a flag, they are trying to convey (at least that's my assumption) that they are a Japanese Domestic Market Product, and these are the typical Taiwan sourced coils, such as D2, Megan, BC etc. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing as I have Megan LP coils and they've been good through 45k miles. It just seems like they are being intentionally deceptive.

As far as the 32 way adjustment, that's common w/ the Taiwan sets. TBH the window of adjustments on these coils is quite small for daily driving, the softest 3rd of the adjustments is too reliant on the springs and will be a very floaty ride. The firmest 3rd of the adjustments is very firm, too much for good handling on all but the smoothest surfaces, maybe a drag strip. So you're really talking about the middle third of the adjustment window that you'd really be using IME.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
If you're spending that much, why not go with a brand that is well established, known, and easy to contact for technical support? Tein makes two coilovers in that price range.
Never been a Tein fan but good point about price point

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
No, I didn't watch the video. I'm not the one interested in them.
LOL great answer, thanks

Originally Posted by blnewt
The fact that they use JDM in their name would raise a flag, they are trying to convey (at least that's my assumption) that they are a Japanese Domestic Market Product, and these are the typical Taiwan sourced coils, such as D2, Megan, BC etc. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing as I have Megan LP coils and they've been good through 45k miles. It just seems like they are being intentionally deceptive.

As far as the 32 way adjustment, that's common w/ the Taiwan sets. TBH the window of adjustments on these coils is quite small for daily driving, the softest 3rd of the adjustments is too reliant on the springs and will be a very floaty ride. The firmest 3rd of the adjustments is very firm, too much for good handling on all but the smoothest surfaces, maybe a drag strip. So you're really talking about the middle third of the adjustment window that you'd really be using IME.
Brad you have a few good points here, as mentioned by no means do I know coils. Have been reading and researching as much as I can lately. Clearly seems I need to further myself into it more, but appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:08 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Pass, they're a wannabe knockout of JRZ
Look into a set of Powertrix
Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM
cv129
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt

On the flip side though...if your set at least still performs like you described, meaning at least the adjustment **** still works as such after 45k miles, then hats off to your Megan LP

I remembered a couple of coilovers set I had (on a 240sx and SC400), where the **** no longer changed the ride whatsoever within much shorter distance lol.