Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
... I also leave it on at the track because it's my ride home....
Interesting...I prefer T/C on on the track too...I don't feel like it has slowed me down....but in the snow on the street sometimes I prefer T/C off...
Old 03-21-2018, 04:35 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
A/S tires are only good till 7°C anyways, anything below, they start to lose traction, so you need winters regardless. Summer tires are good till around 15°C before you start to feel diminished traction. Half the year here is around that 15° mark, so I don't know if going for pure summers would be worth it. Either way I'll be spending around 1k (CAD) on tires, so its not a matter of finances.

I definitely drive a helluva lot more in the summer, so that may be my answer. WHY IS THIS SO HARD?!

EDIT: Screw it... just ordered Pilot Sport 4s, somehow this is Rochester's fault.
I wouldn't say A/S are only good until 7 C, at least not in my experience. The degree at which they might lose traction below 7 C is something I don't think you'll notice in regular street driving. We've had numerous below freezing days this winter and I've hit the same curves as hard as I do in the summer with no apparent difference in traction. I'm not pushing the limits super hard and I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but for street driving I think UHP A/S during winter are just fine. I've only had issues driving on ice - snow wasn't bad at all.

One of these days I'll stop being cheap and dish out for nice winter/PSS setups, but until then the A/S 3+ have plenty of grip in warm, wet, and cold weather. You'll get more mileage out of them and they ride smoother as well. They're leagues ahead of the previous Bridgestone UHP A/S that came with the car and during the summer the grip is very surprising.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:35 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Mike Save6MT crashed his G on all season tires at +5°C because the tires wouldn't stop. It was a dry road, no ice or snow. Rear ended someone. Its all about braking traction, not acceleration or cornering. If you also look up any tire manufacturer site or any tire shop, most, if not all, recommend 7°C as the breaking point where you should swap to winters. Thats what Im basing it on, not just made up speculation.

From personal experience, after driving my first winter with the car on all-seasons a few years back, I had more than a few close calls. It always came down to braking. Turning, acceleration were almost never the issue.

Last edited by hexotic; 03-21-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Interesting...I prefer T/C on on the track too...I don't feel like it has slowed me down....but in the snow on the street sometimes I prefer T/C off...
My only "track" with the G were two auto-x events, one year after the other, and that was years ago after I bought the car.

I can't speak to a course track situation, but in Auto-x you absolutely have to turn off TC if you want to bring in the shorter times. It makes quite a difference.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:12 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
I haven't either, and I've actually spun my car on the street with it on Only in the wet though. But yea I don't play those games

Wow, really?!? How can you guys drive this car with the traction control on all the time?!?! It's so invasive in our cars. One of the first things I did was to add a module so the default position for the TC when you start the car is Off. You have to push the button to turn it on... and can't remember the last time I actually turned the TC on. LOL
Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
I think we're all somewhat experienced drivers here, and I think it just comes down to safe driving and knowing the limits of your car and equipment. I've driven on all seasons for the entire time I've owned my car and I've never had issues in the cold/snow. Just don't drive too fast and leave plenty of space between the car in front. The car will do everything else for you. We got a few inches today and I had no problems even on staggered 20s.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Sedan today?-photo772.jpg  
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
Mike Save6MT crashed his G on all season tires at +5°C because the tires wouldn't stop. It was a dry road, no ice or snow. Rear ended someone. Its all about braking traction, not acceleration or cornering. If you also look up any tire manufacturer site or any tire shop, most, if not all, recommend 7°C as the breaking point where you should swap to winters. Thats what Im basing it on, not just made up speculation.

From personal experience, after driving my first winter with the car on all-seasons a few years back, I had more than a few close calls. It always came down to braking. Turning, acceleration were almost never the issue.
That sucks, I haven't had any close calls yet but I'll keep that in mind next winter. I always thought they could handle lower temps just fine since they're designed with snow traction in mind. I wonder if some of the better all seasons, like the A/S 3+ or ExtremeContact DWS, can handle lower temps than 7 C.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
+1 on leaving extra space... even with winters. Hard to blame tear ending someone on your tires, you know what you’re working with.

Edit: not saying it was mikes fault, I’m sure there were other factors at play but I wouldn’t put the blame on his rubber per say
Old 03-21-2018, 08:14 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
+1 on leaving extra space... even with winters. Hard to blame tear ending someone on your tires, you know what you’re working with.

Edit: not saying it was mikes fault, I’m sure there were other factors at play but I wouldn’t put the blame on his rubber per say
He did lol, even posted the video from his dashcam he had like 5 car lengths in front of him, and it wasnt enough.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM
7Head
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
We get random snow even in May here, and I don't want to only run summer tires from June to September. I have DWS06 and I run those from March till late October. Have proper winters for the rest of the year. I can't imagine running summer ties when those random snow hit us. Would hate having to change to winter just for a few days.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:35 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Ive never had a problem on my A/S tires. I had super sports and now yokohama advans. I've only ever had A/s on my car also.

Although, I picked up the93owner's old wheels last week so now I have a second set, (well third if you count the crappy stocks), so maybe now I can run dedicated summer tires on them. 265/40/19 tires are not cheap though lol

Originally Posted by Nico-derm

He posted the dashcam footage on the FB group. IMO he was too close.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
We had a recent snowing here... lot of cars in ditches on my drive home, but I was fine. Whenever road conditions suck I just do a quick traction test... when the road is clear and safe, I press the brakes until they lock up, and I'll give the throttle a quick stab. That lets me know how much traction I have. Then I adjust accordingly. Winter tires won't save you from following too close....
Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Lots of good tire replies lately, only had one incident where I was caught in snow w/Summers and barely made it home. Was about 4" of fresh snow about 70 miles from home (w/ nothing in between), some rather steady inclines/descents and a couple times barely had enough momentum to keep it going. We made it, but getting caught in a freak storm in the middle of nowhere on Summers isn't something I'd recommend

FWIW there were about a dozen cars along the way that weren't so lucky.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:00 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by future62
We had a recent snowing here... lot of cars in ditches on my drive home, but I was fine. Whenever road conditions suck I just do a quick traction test... when the road is clear and safe, I press the brakes until they lock up, and I'll give the throttle a quick stab. That lets me know how much traction I have. Then I adjust accordingly. Winter tires won't save you from following too close....
Yeah, I worked from home for 3 days that last "snow". I'm sure the northern folks would crack up when they see how 4" of snow shut down the city

Heck, people around here have a hard enough time in the rain
The following 2 users liked this post by Lego_Maniac:
2GoRNot2G (03-22-2018), r2dmax (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

Heck, people around here have a hard enough time in the rain
Hard enough time in the dry here Making sure they get that last poop emoji on their phone as the light goes from hard yellow to solid red

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?