The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 04:28 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzionassi
Look at the picture.
Man, 6 resonators, I bet there's no rasp within a 5 mile radius of you.

But I may try this out. I'll probably go with 2 12" regular vibrant resonators since the rasp isn't too bad. Thanks for the pic, I've got something to show the shop now.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:59 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
Man, 6 resonators, I bet there's no rasp within a 5 mile radius of you.

But I may try this out. I'll probably go with 2 12" regular vibrant resonators since the rasp isn't too bad. Thanks for the pic, I've got something to show the shop now.
This is what I have, works great for rasp.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:56 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
G37X Sedan - coupe mid - muffler delete - vibrant 1790s

I replaced my sedan mid pipe with one from the g37 coupe and added vibrant resonators right before the exhaust tips. I maintained 2.25" ID after the mid section. Besides a K&N sri, everything else is stock. The hummy/boomy sound is too much for me, so it's going back to the shop. I think the resonator at the exit is doing more harm than good. I added the vibrants thinking it would clean up the rasp and the drone that I heard in the coupe muffler delete videos, but it seems to have only amplified the drone at 3000rpm. Not sure if it's because of the distance between the two sets of resonators or the fact that they are roughly similar in size, but the humming is really bad. Not sure how 4doorfury made it work so well.

Anyhow, here's a little highway clip I recorded with an old cellphone that I mounted to the trunk with a suction cup. I oriented the phone with the mic facing the sky to get the best sound, so the video is vertical. The rasp you hear is actually from the vibrations traveling through the mount and phone. There's no rasp here, just a lot of hummmmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfK...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by afrayedknot; 04-30-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: pics
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

Resonators at the end of the exhaust will do very little, it needs to be as close as possible to engine...

Originally Posted by afrayedknot
I replaced my sedan mid pipe with one from the g37 coupe and added vibrant resonators right before the exhaust tips. I maintained 2.25" ID after the mid section. Besides a K&N sri, everything else is stock. The hummy/boomy sound is too much for me, so it's going back to the shop. I think the resonator at the exit is doing more harm than good. I added the vibrants thinking it would clean up the rasp and the drone that I heard in the coupe muffler delete videos, but it seems to have only amplified the drone at 3000rpm. Not sure if it's because of the distance between the two sets of resonators or the fact that they are roughly similar in size, but the humming is really bad. Not sure how 4doorfury made it work so well.

Anyhow, here's a little highway clip I recorded with an old cellphone that I mounted to the trunk with a suction cup. I oriented the phone with the mic facing the sky to get the best sound, so the video is vertical. The rasp you hear is actually from the vibrations traveling through the mount and phone. There's no rasp here, just a lot of hummmmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtfK...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Resonators at the end of the exhaust will do very little, it needs to be as close as possible to engine...
That's what I have come to find out after doing some more reading. Before I knew about this, I got the idea from resonated exhaust tips. I assumed the vibrants would just be a much more effective resonated exhaust tip.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

what kind y pipe do you have?

That's what I have come to find out after doing some more reading. Before I knew about this, I got the idea from resonated exhaust tips. I assumed the vibrants would just be a much more effective resonated exhaust tip.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

what kind y pipe do you have?
factory g37 sedan y-pipe
Old 04-30-2019, 08:34 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

factory g37 sedan y-pipe
resonators way to small, you could go with vibrant mufflers.
https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...fa0a898986d745

I did a lot modifications to my exhaust, last one was Helmholtz resonators on Tanabe axleback.I had lots of drone 1000 to 3000 rpms. After last modification, all drone is gone in 2000-3000 rpms range, but I still have some under 2000 rpms

Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Redgoyabean
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
resonators way to small, you could go with vibrant mufflers.
https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...fa0a898986d745

I did a lot modifications to my exhaust, last one was Helmholtz resonators on Tanabe axleback.I had lots of drone 1000 to 3000 rpms. After last modification, all drone is gone in 2000-3000 rpms range, but I still have some under 2000 rpms

Funny I want to cut to muffler off my ark exhaust but keep the Helmholtz resonators n just weild straight pipes with the tips back on, think it would work cause I has pretty much noooo drone right now.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:43 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

It's been a struggle trying to find 2.25" inlet, 3" x 4.5" outlet oval exhaust tips (that aren't $125 bucks a pop). The goal is to find something similar to the OEM shape and size, just without the ugly *** clamp marks. I've only found these so far, and they're 2.5" inlet and close to twice the length.

Is it likely that a shop can use some sort of reducer to weld these onto my 2.25" mufflers? Is the extra length something a shop can easily work around too?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:49 PM
Dzionassi
Registered Member

These are really long ones. But yeah any shop can make it work. Expand 2.25 pipe or just use more filler while welding...

Originally Posted by obsidiansamurai
It's been a struggle trying to find 2.25" inlet, 3" x 4.5" outlet oval exhaust tips (that aren't $125 bucks a pop). The goal is to find something similar to the OEM shape and size, just without the ugly *** clamp marks. I've only found these so far, and they're 2.5" inlet and close to twice the length.

Is it likely that a shop can use some sort of reducer to weld these onto my 2.25" mufflers? Is the extra length something a shop can easily work around too?
The following users liked this post:
obsidiansamurai (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 03:42 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Look at the cross-member... pretty sure that's a GT-Spec brace. Winner get's a 6-pack.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

How do you like your rear Custco brace? The one in between rear wheels
As Rochester already mentioned, that 'M' brace is a GT-Spec brace. I added it at the same time as all the other lower chassis braces. All of them together make a noticeable improvement in torsional rigidity, but I can't comment on that one individual brace.

Incidentally, I do have a Cusco front strut tower brace and prefer it over the GT-Spec, as it provides just a little more clearance for the OEM heat shield on the hood.

Here's what all of the braces look like now, so it's even harder to tell who's they are.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 AM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Has anyone used the Borla ProXS mufflers on their sedan? I never see any posts about them, which is surprising considering how affordable they are. The only complaints I can find throughout the g35/g37/350z/370z forums are related to drone.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:17 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

A local shop installed 12" Vibrant resonators (right behind the Berks), vibrant flex pipes, Borla Pro XS mufflers, and Vibrant 1406 muffler tips. It's a bit quieter than I expected, but no more rasp. The Borlas sound great too. All this said, I'll never go custom again - waste of time and money.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 PM
mark52598
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I just got my muffler deleted and the drone around 1.5k and 2.5k-3k is killing me.

I decided to buy some Vibrant ultra quiet resonators and im wondering where to put it. I want to eliminate the drone as much as possible so should I put it before the tips where the mufflers used to be or should I replace my stock ones in the middle ?

I have a g37 sedan btw some help would be some appreciated

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread