Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

New Premium DDM Ultra D2S Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM
dAgent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Premium DDM Ultra D2S Bulbs

Looks like DDM is coming out with a new line of bulbs they call ultra. Did anyone try them, do you guys think they would work with the newer finicky ballasts on a 2012? Here is their description:

Our Premium Ultra HID bulbs are quite simply the best. Modeled after the Osram CBI line of performance bulbs we've sourced quartz glass from Philips, salts from APL USA and electrodes from Plansee in Austria. On top of this we've redesigned the capsule to produce up to 20% more light that the standard Apexcone HID bulbs which are already an industry leading bulb. The quartz glass is optically clear with a UV coating to protect the headlights from UV radiation. The warm up time on the Ultra bulbs is about 20% quicker than Apexcone bulbs and will reach full brightness in 2-3 seconds.

Alignment: Manufactured in a state of the art facility using automated processes we guarantee perfect alignment of the xenon capsule for the best beam pattern possible.

Output: Output up to 3400 Lumens when used on a 35W ballast and 5000 Lumens on a 55W ballast you're sure to be seen.

Warranty: Premium Ultra HID Bulbs come with a lifetime warranty.

Sold in pairs to ensure color matching and each bulb comes with adaptors to connect to the factory wiring if required*

*OEM HID replacement bulbs such as D1, D2, D3 and D4's do not have adaptors as they are designed to work with the OEM ballasts.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
A high quality oem bulb like osram cbi runs for $185 a pair.

A oem replacement costs $95 a pair.

Morimoto is a good aftermarket brand and costs $50 a pair.

Those ddm are $25/pair.

Something tells me they are ****ty. Rebranded made in China bulbs
Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM
dAgent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran

Those ddm are $25/pair.

Maybe you're right but made in China doesn't always mean crap anymore. They can and do produce quality products sometimes. I have a DDM Hid Kit on my bike which I bought for something like $25 about 5yrs ago and it works fine, never had an issue, no flickering, nothing.

What I really wanted to know is weather someone tried them and can confirm they work with the newer finicky G37 ballasts, Morimoto's don't and I'm not spending $185 (CBI) for this minimal change unless my oem bulbs go out and there is no other choice.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Intake

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Morinoto bulbs work fine with our ballasts. I have their new XB35 bulbs in 6500K and have had no problems with them firing and I leave my lights on auto. Beam pattern/hotspots are all right there with the OEM Philips bulbs so I'm happy with them.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:26 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
^ +1

I’ve installed the Morimoto XB35 (5500K) in my prior 06 M35 and my current ’12 G37X, no issues with the stock ballasts…light output is really good for me and the price was good. I have no complaints. It's an easy replacement if your OE bulbs are bad, going out or just want to change things up.

here are some pix for reference….

Morimoto 5500 (driver side) vs stock (current '12 G37)

Name:  IMG_1146_zpsjs9grnyl.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  166.2 KB

night view shots from cell phone - about 2 months installed
Name:  IMG_1408_zpshjelmxtv.jpg
Views: 2094
Size:  223.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1424_zps7oawcqg3.jpg
Views: 1970
Size:  236.1 KB

Morimoto XB35 5500 in my 06 M35 (approx 7+ months installed)

Name:  IMG_0990_zpsvnxdwool.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  244.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1066_zpsrezrv6wv.jpg
Views: 1716
Size:  160.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1087_zps88k7vyd6.jpg
Views: 2088
Size:  175.0 KB
Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
While I have not noticed the XB35's increase in brightness, the hue of the bulb is closer to the pure white with a tinge of blue. I've ran DDM Tuning stuff in the past, a couple of issues but for the most part have been reliable. My biggest complaint with DDM is their color output and customer service.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM
MILcityBoi

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dAgent
Maybe you're right but made in China doesn't always mean crap anymore. They can and do produce quality products sometimes. I have a DDM Hid Kit on my bike which I bought for something like $25 about 5yrs ago and it works fine, never had an issue, no flickering, nothing.

What I really wanted to know is weather someone tried them and can confirm they work with the newer finicky G37 ballasts, Morimoto's don't and I'm not spending $185 (CBI) for this minimal change unless my oem bulbs go out and there is no other choice.

I bought some bulbs off of Ebay for like $25 from Onyx lighting....they work about 90% of the time when starting the car, the drivers side is the one that gives me issues and I have to flick the lights off/on to get it to fire up....It isn't that bad but I agree with not wanting to pay for a bulb that may not turn on right away....I'll just keep my $25 jobbers until I decide enough is enough,

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2015, 03:42 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry I liked DDM when they where in California. Ever since they sold it to some Chinese company all of the products fly in from China. I need bulbs but don't want to wait a month for them.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by qmantran

Those ddm are $25/pair.

You can buy Phillips D2S bulbs off amazon for $70 a pair, or less if you find a sale. Price isn't everything.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50 AM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
While I have not noticed the XB35's increase in brightness, the hue of the bulb is closer to the pure white with a tinge of blue. I've ran DDM Tuning stuff in the past, a couple of issues but for the most part have been reliable. My biggest complaint with DDM is their color output and customer service.

please elaborate what you mean about their color output? And what issues have you had with their customer service? They have been pretty good the couple times I have experienced with them.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by botlfed98
please elaborate what you mean about their color output? And what issues have you had with their customer service? They have been pretty good the couple times I have experienced with them.

5000K DDM bulbs vs 5500K morimoto with same ballast made it pretty evident to me. DDM has more blue in it. I ordered a set of fog light bulbs and didn't get a tracking for 2 months. After I contacted them, they told me they shipped out..never did. I called them and told them I was filing a dispute with my bank if I didn't receive a tracking. Then, told me if I did that I would be banned from DDM tuning for life. 2 days later, I got a tracking.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:39 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
So maybe I can get some help here "never asked" So I have 3 sets of DD D2S bulbs 8k, No matter what set a use and even if I swap the drivers to the passengers, The passengers side light will not come on without my flipping them on 4/5 times and or flipping on and off the high beams?

The headlight housing was replaced 6 months ago and since then I can only run stock bulbs? Thoughts,
Sorry thread jacking question :/
Old 08-05-2015, 02:53 PM
malady

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
So maybe I can get some help here "never asked" So I have 3 sets of DD D2S bulbs 8k, No matter what set a use and even if I swap the drivers to the passengers, The passengers side light will not come on without my flipping them on 4/5 times and or flipping on and off the high beams?

The headlight housing was replaced 6 months ago and since then I can only run stock bulbs? Thoughts,
same issue here...

I don't know how any of you guys are getting the cheap bulbs too work. >_<
Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ

At that point, I would look at the ballast if all 3 bulbs have the same behavior.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:13 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
From what I have read 2011 and newer cars do not like generic D2S bulbs.

Quick Reply: New Premium DDM Ultra D2S Bulbs