Sponsored by:

Hello from S.Fla

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
Man I really got to slow down on this "Modding" stuff. I have only had my car for 2 weeks and still have the paper tag! I'm gonna blow my wad in the first month!
Do you already have the H&Rs? If you're not wanting a deep drop I'd return them if possible. If you look at that thread I posted your G is about to be slammed. Before I got my coilovers I was on B&G springs which are about like S Techs, just a hair higher than H&Rs and it made for a stressful daily driver. So many places where you'd have to crawl just to get by and rather than a relaxing drive you'd always have to be on the lookout for so many things. Not worth it IME, I'm at zero gap now and it's much better, still an aggressive drop but much easier to live with.
Just my 2 cs.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
They are being delivered today. This is what I based my decision on. All the really slammed ones seem like 08'09. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...or-sedans.html
Also on the 19' Coupe wheel on Sedan thread some of the newer cars didn't look that low.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,575 Likes on 3,426 Posts
OP, I know you joined 7 years ago, and you're familiar with modding Nissans because you went down Maxima Road instead of the G. However, what you're not familiar with yet are the histories and credibility of various members here in this forum. In that context, Brad (blnewt) is your Sedan Forum Moderator, and is extremely well-versed in lots of modding topics on the Sedan. In particular, wheel fitment and suspension options. Expertise aside he's also the biggest cheerleader here, on just about everything anyone does to their car. (He also goes overboard, IMO, but that's where I counter-balance, LOL).

My point is, he gives great advice, and it's weighted with value more than most.

Good luck.

/introduction
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (08-06-2015), xpcgamer (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

They are being delivered today. This is what I based my decision on. All the really slammed ones seem like 08'09. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...or-sedans.html
Also on the 19' Coupe wheel on Sedan thread some of the newer cars didn't look that low.
Not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, just wanted to give you a heads up. For whatever reason H&R is notorious for stating their drops are much milder than what they end up being. I have yet to see an H&R drop that's not in the 2" or more range. It is possible that they have a newer version out and maybe, just maybe it's going to drop closer to their listed specs. Hopefully that's the case as it didn't sound like you're wanting a slammed ride (and all the pitfalls that that entails). Keep us posted as it would be good info to have.
Oh, and thanks for the kind words John
The following users liked this post:
xpcgamer (08-06-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 10:22 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Man! I tried searching everywhere and everything I could. I hate reading threads asking the same questions over and OVER. So I searched and made an intelligent decision (an incorrect one I have come to realize). I read threads that said H&R rode better than the Eibachs. Tein's seemed to drop the car too low, Swift springs seem to lower the rear more than the front and I could not find that much info on the Megan springs.
Thanks John and Brad.
On a good note my Coupe wheels arrive today and will get mounted this afternoon. Will add a pic to the Coupe on Sedan thread when I do.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Swift springs seem to lower the rear more than the front
Only on the RWD. The AWD Sedan springs from Swift seem just about perfect.

And in actuality, your floor-to-fender measurements with OEM springs already has the rear about 1/2" lower than the front, it just isn't obvious because the car isn't lowered, and your OEM wheels are tucked.

Go find a flat, level location and take some measurements of your car as it is right now. Here's one that was done recently with OEM setup:

Old 08-06-2015, 02:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

You could go w/ Tein Basis coilovers, get the exact height you want and call it a day Should be able to set the height you want then just get the rear camber/toe bolt set (not the rear camber arm) and this goes for $50 so the coiloovers + bolts would be about $ 660, compared to the springs plus full camber kit which would be in the $800 range. And you'll get full shock travel w/ the coilovers and save your OEM dampers if you ever go back to stock, big WIN WIN IMO
Old 08-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
You could go w/ Tein Basis coilovers, get the exact height you want and call it a day Should be able to set the height you want then just get the rear camber/toe bolt set (not the rear camber arm) and this goes for $50 so the coiloovers + bolts would be about $ 660, compared to the springs plus full camber kit which would be in the $800 range. And you'll get full shock travel w/ the coilovers and save your OEM dampers if you ever go back to stock, big WIN WIN IMO
I'm in the middle of doing exactly this.

Actually, I bought an unboxed set of rear camber arms. But I did get the Tein Basis kit just a few days ago. Installation scheduled for August 17. After that, tweak-tweak-tweak, and then yet another alignment.

Point being, I can't confirm or deny how much WIN! this actually is. But give me a few weeks and I certainly will, one way or the other.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm in the middle of doing exactly this... I did get the Tein Basis kit just a few days ago. Installation scheduled for August 17... I can't confirm or deny how much WIN! this actually is. But give me a few weeks and I certainly will, one way or the other.
Looking forward to your review. I've been researching the Basis after Blnewt recommended them to me over complete stock replacement(Thank you, sir). Tons of information and reviews on the Basics but not so much on the Basis(Basi?). At $700, I felt like it was worth giving them a try. Biggest downside will be the replacement costs of the strut mounts. I'm at 118k, and I've had other Nissan strut mounts become noisy around the 120k to 130k range. Those little guys aren't exactly cheap.

I have it tentatively scheduled for the middle to end of September. It will be a huge comfort to have a reputable review from a trusted critic before I begin the install.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by nelledge
Looking forward to your review. I've been researching the Basis after Blnewt recommended them to me over complete stock replacement(Thank you, sir). Tons of information and reviews on the Basics but not so much on the Basis(Basi?). At $700, I felt like it was worth giving them a try. Biggest downside will be the replacement costs of the strut mounts. I'm at 118k, and I've had other Nissan strut mounts become noisy around the 120k to 130k range. Those little guys aren't exactly cheap.

I have it tentatively scheduled for the middle to end of September. It will be a huge comfort to have a reputable review from a trusted critic before I begin the install.
Was it the actual mounting plates that were noisy or were the gaskets just worn out? The gaskets aren't that cheap either though
Old 08-06-2015, 08:12 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

OK the wheels are on here is a quick pic and some measurements.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (08-09-2015)
Old 08-06-2015, 10:52 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Very nice addition there^^^^^
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 AM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Yeah those H&R are NOT going to work. I was reading a thread on G35driver that some one installed 370z springs on their Sedan and it lowered it around .80". What do you think? I think I may go that route.
Or get the Tein Basis like you said .
Old 08-07-2015, 08:39 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yeah those H&R are NOT going to work. I was reading a thread on G35driver that some one installed 370z springs on their Sedan and it lowered it around .80". What do you think? I think I may go that route.
Or get the Tein Basis like you said .
There's many options for lowering your G, unfortunately you picked the deepest dropping springs.
Here's the list from mild to wild
Tanabe
Tein H Tech (NOT the S Techs)
Swift
Eibach
B&G S2
Tein S Tech]
H&R

For a daily driver any of the top 4 sets listed above will work pretty well.

The Tein Basis Coliovers are ideal for a mild drop too, they aren't a coil designed to run slammed so 2" or less is what they're recommended for.
These will have full suspension travel unlike lowering springs that have a more limited range (which shortens damper life).

Those 370 springs may be an option although the spring rates may not be ideal for your sedan but haven't looked much into that.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
These will have full suspension travel unlike lowering springs that have a more limited range
Er, what?

I distinctly remember thinking the Swift Springs were very much the same ride as OEM. If anything, they were actually a little more comfortable, if that makes any sense.

Are you suggesting my rims/tires could be hitting the rear fender lip with these Basis rear springs/shocks? That would be no bueno.