Drove a Q50 AWD loaner for a day - my observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM
itengineer
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drove a Q50 AWD loaner for a day - my observations

It sucked compared to the G37x that i currently have

1. Even in SPORT mode, the steering seemed very loose and wandered around.
2. No exhaust sound.
3. seats did not seem to bolster as well
4. more lean and softer ride
5. steering feedback non existent.

If that is what the Q50 is like, I may not upgrade
Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by itengineer
It sucked compared to the G37x that i currently have

1. Even in SPORT mode, the steering seemed very loose and wandered around.
2. No exhaust sound.
3. seats did not seem to bolster as well
4. more lean and softer ride
5. steering feedback non existent.

If that is what the Q50 is like, I may not upgrade
Interesting. I had one while my tires were being replaced. My observations:

1. Steering was linear but with very little feedback
2. No exhaust sound (not that my G37x has much to speak of either)
3. MUCH quieter from a NVH standpoint
4. Seats felt about the same
5. Ride was better
6. Transmission calibration was great
7. Didn't like the inconsistency in the screens- why couldn't they make both the screens look similar in terms of build/resolution?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
mcola
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few months ago when I went to pick up my G sedan for the first time after purchase, it wasn't ready, so they gave me a Q50 AWD.

I found most of what you did too.
I really noticed the wandering in the steering and hated that.
But I didn't mind the seats.
I did like that it was quieter (less engine noise thru the firewall upon acceleration).
I absolutely loved the tech package and various controls thru the touch screen.

After finally getting my G, it was a bit of a let down to go to after the in cabin experience of the Q. But at almost a $20k savings in price getting the 3 year old very low mileage car I got, I soon got over it.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Fico

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
last time i had my car worked on i told the sales staff straight to thier face there is no way i would take a Q as a loaner and that id rather walk, so i walked out of there and down the street ( i did have a friend waiting down the road at a gas station). im pissed that infiniti took a step back in the name department. why go from something that makes sense to something that doesn't? plus when i bought my g there weren't many other option on the market for AWD coupes. so i was kinda stuck but now the market has opened up and i will defiantly be changing brands with my next car. I do everything possible to tell infiniti that they ****ed up. but maybe im just angry at the world in general. either way it keeps me occupied.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:18 AM
itengineer
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fico
last time i had my car worked on i told the sales staff straight to thier face there is no way i would take a Q as a loaner and that id rather walk, so i walked out of there and down the street ( i did have a friend waiting down the road at a gas station). im pissed that infiniti took a step back in the name department. why go from something that makes sense to something that doesn't? plus when i bought my g there weren't many other option on the market for AWD coupes. so i was kinda stuck but now the market has opened up and i will defiantly be changing brands with my next car. I do everything possible to tell infiniti that they ****ed up. but maybe im just angry at the world in general. either way it keeps me occupied.
My lease is coming up on the G37x . Not impressed by the Q so i'm looking for ideas n what to get next

ideas?
Old 03-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Fico

im honestly looking at German stuff something i never thought id be doing. i might go with what i was going to buy over the g (until i got an offer i couldn't refuse), which was an STI. Audi and BMW are the front runners now, thee A5 and TT both are very interesting and they come with a real gear box for AWD.
one thing i noticed with the Qs is they look as big as they are, and the g37's look small but are big, anyone else com to the same conclusion?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:25 PM
mcola
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one thing i noticed with the Qs is they look as big as they are, and the g37's look small but are big, anyone else com to the same conclusion?
I found the inside of the Q to feel a little bigger, but the trunk is tiny, perhaps because its very shallow. At least the back seat folds down in the Q.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Here is the problem with this approach. You gave up a perk (free loaner car) to make a statement to people who don't care and have no say in the design or features of the car. After you walk out without your free loaner car, the dealer staff members aren't going to hurry up and call Infiniti corporate and express your disgust with their new model, they are going to laugh at you.

This is like going to McDonalds and telling them you'd rather walk out without any food at all if you can't have it supersized. They don't care.
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Fico

Originally Posted by Ryne
Here is the problem with this approach. You gave up a perk (free loaner car) to make a statement to people who don't care and have no say in the design or features of the car. After you walk out without your free loaner car, the dealer staff members aren't going to hurry up and call Infiniti corporate and express your disgust with their new model, they are going to laugh at you.

This is like going to McDonalds and telling them you'd rather walk out without any food at all if you can't have it supersized. They don't care.
i know they personally dont care, but i like to make my statements. ive written a letter to infiniti but my logic is this: if enough people complain they may just take notice, so i may be the only one or the one that breaks the the camel, i would rather have my quandary fall of deaf ears then to not voice it at all.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Fico

Originally Posted by mcola
I found the inside of the Q to feel a little bigger, but the trunk is tiny, perhaps because its very shallow. At least the back seat folds down in the Q.
that almost made me **** my pants when i opened up my g's trunk on the showroom floor. i was like....is this a trunk for ants?

for such a large car you think they would have moved some things around to alot a larger space.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
i know they personally dont care, but i like to make my statements. ive written a letter to infiniti but my logic is this: if enough people complain they may just take notice, so i may be the only one or the one that breaks the the camel, i would rather have my quandary fall of deaf ears then to not voice it at all.
Well you seem to see the picture clearly, so if making statements like that makes you feel better then I guess that's all that matters. If you get more satisfaction out of making a statement about the Q50 then taking a free loaner car, it would be silly to do it any other way, lol.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Fico

Originally Posted by Ryne
Well you seem to see the picture clearly, so if making statements like that makes you feel better then I guess that's all that matters. If you get more satisfaction out of making a statement about the Q50 then taking a free loaner car, it would be silly to do it any other way, lol.
Agreed, i have three cars so it makes "sticking it to the man" more appealing lol.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
They made a step towards more luxury, less sportiness, better MPG and less NVH with their non Sport Q50 model. That's why they went with electric DAS steering (on models with tech package) to save 1mpg or so instead of old hydraulic steering and most former G owners hated it so now they are going back to old hydraulic. Funny thing is, most other car makes have electric steering and their owners have no idea their steering can be as good as in a G. Try a brand new BMW and their steering is terrible even though it used to be pretty good back in the day so all companies are headed in that direction of government mandated MPG limits, less noise, more comfort more electronics.

If you want something better handling and sportier, go for Q50S (which is not much better honestly) or just wait for the real deal which is new Q60. That car will be designed from the ground up including the new engine with emphasis on acceleration and handling.

Last edited by serega13; 03-13-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: corrected statement about steering
Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Thought I might add a related anecdote on the topic of trying out a Q50 and comparing it to a G....I took a Q 50s AWD out for a spin a few months ago because I was thinking about installing the Akebono Brakes on my G and I figured why not check out the new car while I'm at it.

Verdict:

The brakes are worth the upgrade

The Q50:

The new AWD "S" model actually has the the sport features and isn't just a cosmetic upgrade like on the G so it was actually quite a treat. The model I tested didn't have the tech package so no drive by wire and handled much like a G sedan but the car itself felt a bit lighter than the G37 sedan (the car is lighter I think[felt more like the weight of my v36 g35 sedan] ), and it felt like a car with wider tires on a wider track than the G, which it is. One thing I did notice was that the 7AT was a lot more responsive than my friends '12 7AT (I drove the crap out of the Q50 and left the sales person white knuckling it and the tranny seemed to keep up better than the g37)...so I was impressed with the tranny keeping up. One other thing I noticed was that the suspension felt much more adaptive and supple, but not with more body roll or anything , it just adjusted to the crappy pavement much better than I'm used to (Although my suspension is a terrible comparison)

One thing I didn't like is that you cant get the tech package without the drive by wire and I wouldn't want to give up those useful toys if I did upgrade and wouldn't want that "numb" handling that everyone complains about...

Oh and the seats are paper thin compared to a G, not sure if its made of more modern materials but I'd be suspicious about how well the material might wear if it feels that thin now.

thas my .00002 cents on the comparison topic
Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 AM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by serega13
They made a step towards more luxury, less sportiness, better MPG and less NVH with their non Sport Q50 model. That's why they went with electric steering to save 1mpg or so instead of old hydraulic steering and most former G owners hated it so now they are going back to old hydraulic. Funny thing is, most other car makes have electric steering and their owners have no idea their steering can be as good as in a G. Try a brand new BMW and their steering is terrible even though it used to be pretty good back in the day so all companies are headed in that direction of government mandated MPG limits, less noise, more comfort more electronics.

If you want something better handling and sportier, go for Q50S (which is not much better honestly) or just wait for the real deal which is new Q60. That car will be designed from the ground up including the new engine with emphasis on acceleration and handling.
They didn't just go to electric steering, they went to drive by wire. And it really wasn't fully cooked yet- with continued development I'm positive the system will improve. As far as BMW's are concerned, the key is to spec them properly. The M-sport models are still great.

Quick Reply: Drove a Q50 AWD loaner for a day - my observations