Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily commuter and mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:59 PM
MetalMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily commuter and mods

I recently pulled the trigger, traded my new truck for a CPO G AWD sport sedan. I'm now intrigued by the suspension options and other upgrades and mods that are possible.
First thing that I would like to do is change the OEM 18's for aftermarket 19" and close the spacing between wheels and wheel well up a bit. After doing quite a bit of reading on this site it looks as if swift springs may be my best bet.

My hesitation is that I drive a solid hour five days a week commuting. I'm curious as to if I'm making a costly decision in the long run putting excess stress on the OEM drivetrain and the overall car in general if I do go this route.

Would would be the BEST option given the amount of driving I do, (best meaning right way to do these modifications for optimum vehicle integrity)??

As always I appreciate the input
Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
There is a TON of information on here regarding different lowering options, and examples of wheels (19" and 20"). I'd suggest you spend A LOT of time on here reading, searching, etc. before you do anything to your car.

What you won't find on here is anyone talking about wheel weight, which was a huge issue for me. I have a '13 6MT sport, and I wanted to go up to 20" wheels, but stay within factory weights (wheel plus tire). Tough task, but I was able to come in actually 1 pound less. So there was no change in driving dynamics, mpg, etc.

I also wanted OEM feel, but a more sporty look, so I went with Swift springs and Koni shocks. A lot of guys do just the Swifts, many others do coilovers. Again, read a lot on this subject.

A bigger issue for me with the G is the lack of engine/exhaust sound quality and boat-like handling in turns. Of all the things I've modded, my intake/exhaust combo (Stillen G2 and Tanabe Medallion) and sway bar upgrade (Hotchki's front and rear) were by far the most "bang for my buck." If you don't mind these items, then disregard.

Again, my advice is to keep reading and researching on here. I spent 2 months just reading on here before I even bought the car, so I had a good idea of what I wanted to do as soon as I got it. But even then, I just drove the car a lot to get a feel for it and what I felt it lacked. That is going to be different for each person.

Here are a couple of shots of my car; the first day I had it and a couple weeks ago after all mods have been done. Which reminds me I need to do a build thread lol. Head over to the "show off your sedan" thread for more pictures like this.

Name:  IMG_20140919_191653_483.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20141219_130614_983.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  62.0 KB

Last edited by Furlow; 02-17-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Nice Car setup "Furlow"
It has a good clean stance...
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
MetalMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right on. I'll be doing a good bit of going thru various threads, have already but there is much more to absorb

Those wheels look great by the way, nice deep concave. Which wheel is that?

Also did you vinyl wrap the chrome to black out?

Mine still looks like when you got yours except in blue slate, and minus any tint.
The following users liked this post:
Furlow (02-18-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I originally went with Swifts then went to coilovers with swifts, I think the swifts give the X sedan the perfect stance aesthically. For wheels I went with squared sets of forged Rays from a G35, both are lighter than OEM with my tires. I would definitely suggest sways and you'd probabky be good there. I drove my car from TN to PA/NYC and back with no issues and daily now with the only issue that I'm too low on the coils.

Here's a pic with the Swifts. If you decide to go that route I still have them and I think 11G37s is selling a set of Hotchkiss sways with light mileage. Name:  E8176525-C9A4-4B72-B082-A8D1F0A7F152_zpsjnl6amoe.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  1.24 MB
Old 02-18-2015, 12:52 AM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalMan
Right on. I'll be doing a good bit of going thru various threads, have already but there is much more to absorb

Those wheels look great by the way, nice deep concave. Which wheel is that?

Also did you vinyl wrap the chrome to black out?

Mine still looks like when you got yours except in blue slate, and minus any tint.
Those are Vossen VFS1, 20x9 (+32) and 20x10.5 (+45).

And yes, I did vinyl wrap on the chrome, a lot of guys have done that on here.

Love the blue slate G, looking forward to seeing your mods!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:13 AM
pledes23
Registered Member

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm actually looking into springs to buy for the sprint time possible before the meet. Are you selling your swifts Chris? If you are if you dont mind PM me your selling price. Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I originally went with Swifts then went to coilovers with swifts, I think the swifts give the X sedan the perfect stance aesthically. For wheels I went with squared sets of forged Rays from a G35, both are lighter than OEM with my tires. I would definitely suggest sways and you'd probabky be good there. I drove my car from TN to PA/NYC and back with no issues and daily now with the only issue that I'm too low on the coils.

Here's a pic with the Swifts. If you decide to go that route I still have them and I think 11G37s is selling a set of Hotchkiss sways with light mileage.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:29 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I went coils then to Swifts. I agree with Rex swifts are perfect. I have sport sedan 18's for winters and 19's for the summer. Bolt ons. See sig DD FTW
Old 02-19-2015, 02:06 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I have swifts and it rides great w/ 19" wheels. get an exhaust and lower the car a bit and you can make your commute a little better
Old 02-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Keroro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is too much chrome on these cars stock.... lol

Plasti dipped the window trim, grille and rear trunk trim
Attached Thumbnails Daily commuter and mods-g37-2.jpg   Daily commuter and mods-g37-3.jpg