Sponsored by:

2009 G37X Lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by fennsta_78
Donking it out of the question. Candidly, those pictures look ridiculous. Im a practical guy, that's why I bought the G37X. It was the most economical AWD with a decent motor on the market. While it might be perceived as a "luxury" car it really isn't.

The car now has 95K on the odometer and isn't worth much, so I thought, what the hell. Lets raise it a couple of inches and throw some larger tires and then I'll get better clearance and won't have to drop so low when entering and exiting.
There isn't too much that makes the G37x practical, especially where large clearance and snow/offroad performance is necessary. It's rear wheel drive biased and barely ever enters AWD mode, let alone a 4x4 lock.

The G37 is not perceived as a luxury car, it is. Although it may not be a Bentley, it is still an entry level luxury car.

So low when entering and exiting what? The stock AWD G already basically has enough clearance to go offroading with it.

Maybe it's just me...
The following users liked this post:
G37XSER (12-04-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Trooper Orange

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fennsta_78
Well, I only wanted to raise it 3 inches- Keep stock rims and use a larger profile tire. Im looking for a bit more clearance and practicality. This thing should munch the carpet off a Subaru or maybe I should just buy a subaru.
I have an 08 Outback and a 10 G37x. I live in a state with snow. My personal experience with the AWD in the G, is that it is crap for snow/ice conditions. Even with VDC, and Snow mode, it doesn't act like an AWD and gets squirrely in the back end easily, doesn't hold the road well etc...

Compared to the subaru? lol, miles apart. The subbie is sure footed and goes like a mountain goat, none of the drama the G has in the snow.

I suspect some of it is tires and such, however the AWD system in the G, compared to the Subbie in the snow .... no comparison, different worlds. The G is so bad in fact, I think my old FWD G20t did a better job in the snow.

Anyway /2 cents
The following users liked this post:
G37XSER (12-04-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooper Orange
I have an 08 Outback and a 10 G37x. I live in a state with snow. My personal experience with the AWD in the G, is that it is crap for snow/ice conditions. Even with VDC, and Snow mode, it doesn't act like an AWD and gets squirrely in the back end easily, doesn't hold the road well etc...

Compared to the subaru? lol, miles apart. The subbie is sure footed and goes like a mountain goat, none of the drama the G has in the snow.

I suspect some of it is tires and such, however the AWD system in the G, compared to the Subbie in the snow .... no comparison, different worlds. The G is so bad in fact, I think my old FWD G20t did a better job in the snow.

Anyway /2 cents
If you're using those stock Goodyear tires I don't even want to hear it. Those things are bad in wet weather, let alone snowy weather. Terrible tire.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 AM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Still think Im crazy?
2015 Volvo S60 Cross Country: This Is It
Old 01-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Trooper Orange

Anyway /2 cents
My Subaru's were always better than my G in the snow. My last one, an 04 STi with snow tires, was pretty much unstoppable. But the G isn't really that bad, especially with winter tires. I also find that turning off the VDC helps tremendously. But at the end of the day, it is a RWD biased system.

I think most here would rather slam the G than raise it (me included).

That new Volvo sedan is goofy looking, just like the old Subaru Outback sedan from years ago. Reminds me of this too:

Old 01-08-2015, 11:35 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Subbie is a true AWD the G is not, Heck me EVO 8, Handled WAY better in the snow, But would rather the G any day!! I don't have issue with moving with the SNOW mode button on and going strait but then again that locks the Tcase, Other than that its a RWD car the sometimes tosses power to the front wheels.