Challenging Roads

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Challenging Roads

Hello all,

Thought it might be fun to post your location and any roads that have challenged/scared you the most in your G so maybe others can give them a go with some spirited driving :-)

I am in Frederick, MD:
-Hamburg Road, down from or up towards Gambrill Park Road.
-Ijamsville Road southward.
-Shookstown Road coming from Gambrill Park Road.

It isn't really the windy-ness, but more so the quick changes in pavement elevations and unevenness of the roads. Good luck :-)
Old 05-28-2014, 07:50 PM
guyinswmo

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
In southwest Missouri there are all kinds of fun/challenging roads. The most popular is highway 125 from Rogersville down to the lake (and across the ferry if you want). If you do the ferry ride and grab lunch it can be a 4-5 hour round trip.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:01 PM
PerDiem

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Located in San Francisco, CA.

If I'm in the mood for a drive, I find myself hitting these locations:
- Hwy 84 "La Honda Road" (Section between Int. 280 and Hwy 1)
- Kings Mountain Road (off of Hwy 35)
- Sierra Road (in San Jose, CA)
The following users liked this post:
Bravo at (06-03-2014)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
On our way to Vegas via Phoenix, the road from Wickenburg to Kingman is quite fun Phoenix to Peyson, oh-yeah!
The road from Laughlin to Vegas is also
Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Here in Tampa theres a great curve on I275 near downtown that I always love taking at 85 mph while most go 55. Another is Mobley Rd....nice and curvy to test your suspension out
Old 05-29-2014, 12:52 PM
RPG11

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Key West Has the most challenging roads for lowered cars IMO. It feels like you're riding in a farm one hole after another, its sooo annoying you don't go a day without hitting a pothole trust me i try.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The tunnel in Boston on either 93N or 93S is always fun late at night...but would love to find more roads in the area
The following users liked this post:
dragion (06-05-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Klips37X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in North Dakota.......Nothing.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Klips37X
I'm in North Dakota.......Nothing.
So, drag radials and a chute?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:47 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
River Rd & Snapfinger Rd. Area Ellenwood, GA
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Klips37X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kluthage421
So, drag radials and a chute?
Ha! Right. Actually the Badlands in the western part of the state going into Montana is a pretty sweet ride, but east....nothing...flat....boring
Old 05-30-2014, 04:48 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Tomball, Texas.

Back roads where there's extremely light traffic. Curvy roads, excellent visibility in case I need to slow my butt down. Best time is early in the morning right after all the kids go to school and people go to work. No traffic, no cops because they haven't made their way back there yet.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:07 AM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ScrewstonNismo
Tomball, Texas.

Back roads where there's extremely light traffic. Curvy roads, excellent visibility in case I need to slow my butt down. Best time is early in the morning right after all the kids go to school and people go to work. No traffic, no cops because they haven't made their way back there yet.
Texas must be nice because of the average visibility. Road with hills, residences and vegetation can be limiting here in the East.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
I live in South San Jose, CA. Sadly, most of these roads have traffic so you can't drive them as fast as you'd like but most are technical offering lots of elevation changes on turns, hairpins and vertical drop offs to keep the blood pumping. These are my favorites:

Mt. Hamilton Road - Lots of switchbacks and elevation changes; off camber turns and unguarded drop offs make it a white knuckle drive if you want to go fast. Add an occasional ice storm or snow in the winter and double your pleasure - https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3373...21.6627262,15z

Mt. Umunhum Road - This is the (slightly) improved road up to an abandoned military radar tower once used in WWII. Its been closed to public access until last year for lead paint contamination. The road is less twisty that Mt. Hamilton road but has lots of elevation changes and sweeping curves. The temperature change is rather unique since you start out in the Almaden valley which is typically warm in the summer and you end up on a peak overlooking the valley and the Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. I've recorded up to 30 degrees temperature difference between the start and endpoints. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt...5dd0119a0f925d

HWY17 Between Scotts Valley and the Lexington Reservoir. Not a lot of hard turns but this stretch is fast. The locals rarely dip below 60MPH because they know the road. This is a twisty bit of blacktop with sudden drops on one side and K-Bar lane dividers on the other. Often the lanes are squeezed down to accommodate erosion of the road bed. Long sweeping turns with off-camber bumps keep the drive interesting as well as the tons of trucks and suicide jockeys who think they can drive anything add a bit of drama to the ride. This stretch would be a blast of it wern't for the traffic but even so, Ive never taken a "out of towner" on this road and not gotten comments about the experience. - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...b907b48ef92ede

La Honda Rd between Wunderlich County Park and San Gregorio State Beach. This is a nice road with a lot of hairpins and tight curves early on. Closer to the beach the road straightens out but there are a lot of elevation changes as you cross canyons and ridges. Dark shadows across the road mask dips and ruts so you've got to have your eyes open if you want to do this road fast. Traffic is about nill during the mid-day but picks up towards the evenings and on weekends. There's also several homes along the road so at times you'll feel like your creeping along. This drive is all about consistency, weight transfer and smoothness- https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...b907b48ef92ede

NF-99 in Washington. For those of you in the state, you'll recognize NF-99 as the access road to the Mt. St. Helens National Park, Spirit Lake and the crater basin. Traffic can at times be a bear on this road but thousand foot drops, moon like scenery and the stark landscape make the drive breathtaking even without the fine grit that coats the road lessening your grip. If you can drive this road in the early spring before the tourists show up, you can test your wet road skills. Late in the summer the area is hot and dry and that grit becomes more of a detriment - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mt...ddb4f4b6cf94c7
The following 2 users liked this post by Absinthe:
Bravo at (06-03-2014), PerDiem (07-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
On our way to Vegas via Phoenix, the road from Wickenburg to Kingman is quite fun Phoenix to Peyson, oh-yeah!
The road from Laughlin to Vegas is also

Yes, it is...just stay out of the radar of the police.

Quick Reply: Challenging Roads