Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Requested - Next Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 04:03 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Advice Requested - Next Car

My lease is coming up (Aug 2014) and as much as I love the car, I've been looking elsewhere.

So my wife has a G37S sedan in Malbec Black (love that color) and her lease is up in Dec of this year and she's only paying $299/month.

So should I just get rid of my car, wait until the lease is completely up and take over her lease and extend it, or what? I'm trying to keep costs down or close to where I am ($350/month). Sadly to say, nothing out there comes close to the G37 Sedan. I've driven 335 & 328i from BMW and their prices were astronomically comedic. I've driven a CLA250 and power is underwhelming and I've heard nothing but $h!t about IS250/350 F-Sport. Though there is the Cadillac ATS but just can't do American unless it's a Vette. Even the Q50S has been disappointing with regards negotiations.

Decisions, decisions!!!?!?!!?!?!?!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:14 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
My lease is coming up (Aug 2014) and as much as I love the car, I've been looking elsewhere.

So my wife has a G37S sedan in Malbec Black (love that color) and her lease is up in Dec of this year and she's only paying $299/month.

So should I just get rid of my car, wait until the lease is completely up and take over her lease and extend it, or what? I'm trying to keep costs down or close to where I am ($350/month). Sadly to say, nothing out there comes close to the G37 Sedan. I've driven 335 & 328i from BMW and their prices were astronomically comedic. I've driven a CLA250 and power is underwhelming and I've heard nothing but $h!t about IS250/350 F-Sport. Though there is the Cadillac ATS but just can't do American unless it's a Vette. Even the Q50S has been disappointing with regards negotiations.

Right now, the G37 prices are very low, so I wouldn't expect any car right now to come even close in terms of price/performance ratio, especially since the introduction of Q50.

However, I've been very interested in the 2015 Audi S3 model. It is priced similar to CLA250, except for a couple thousand more you can get a lot more horses and it comes with quattro.

A fully loaded S3 MSRP is about $42k. The Audi A3 was introduced just last month and I'm actually excited about it, although I would still keep my G. However, it looks like the S3 comes in later this fall. It has 290hp and 280lb-ft of torque. It also has 0-60 time of 4.8 seconds, faster than the G.

I think the Audi S3 looks very good for the price range, and much better deal than the Mercedes.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 04-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
The new A3 is one of the better deals out there - I can't wait to give it a test drive. I would surely look into it myself.

My options are inline with you OP. There's nothing promising from Lexus besides styling, Acura still remains bland, BMWs prices are still comical, and I also wouldn't buy anything American besides a CTS-V.

I would either:
  • Buy out on the Malbec Black
  • Check out Audi leading/purchasing offers on A3 and A4
  • Go find a nice CTS-V in great shape. Technically you're getting a 4-door corvette.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I was in your situation about 4 months ago and did the same analysis and I found that the G37 gives the best bang for your buck. I love this car and it has the right amount of luxury while still being sporty. I own a G37S sedan as well and am hoping to keep this for 15 years at least until it dies.

The only thing I would even remotely thinking about stepping into is an Audi or some sporty Lexus but the monthly payment on those are out of range.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 PM
DaCePtak0n

Thanks all. I;m going to check out the AUdi A3 & A4 tomorrow morning. The sales guy was a former Infiniti salesman and is begging to get my business (he knows I've had an S4 before also but gave that up to pricing so thinks that the A3/A4 is perfect for me now).

I'll post up my findings tomorrow evening. I've reserved the entire day to diving into dealership after dealership for this sake.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A4s are very nice but very hard to find a manual. If you don't mind auto then there are tons of great deals out there and def cheaper than a g. Just nowhere near the performance. Get a turbo 4 banger over the 6 and you can chip another 40 hp into it for cheap
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you can live w/ 2 doors the M235i might be worth a look, it's better looking than the 135i but still retains it's kick-as$ driving dynamics. One of the funnest cars I've driven (the 135i, haven't tested the 2 yet, but am looking forward to it.)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:45 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
And now for something completely different....

First - I agree on the S3. It will be on my list to drive early next year when my lease is up...

Second...don't laugh...don't flame....don't well...whatever. But check out a Chevrolet SS. It isn't a 'real' Chevy - it is a Holden Commodore if I remember correctly. LS3 running about 415hp & 415ft-lb. 0-60 in the 4.5 to 5 sec range. Stock exhaust system sounds real healthy too.
. It is a bit bigger than a G - and all reviews I have read are stellar.

It may look like an Impala as some (most?) angles - but that can be advantage at times...

They only come one way - loaded for @$45k. I would assume they should start dealing on them soon - they are not selling in great numbers nor very fast.

Anyway - one of those is definitely on my list to try when my lease-end is near. Although...I do love my Malbec Black G37S too...
Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 PM
DaCePtak0n

No more 2 door for me fellas. Wifey dictates that I must be "practical" lol. If I gotta wait, might end up getting an A5 last minute (cue in the devilish Daceptak0n) haha
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

No more 2 door for me fellas. Wifey dictates that I must be "practical" lol. If I gotta wait, might end up getting an A5 last minute (cue in the devilish Daceptak0n) haha
Haha...you should get the S5 and see your wife's reaction. Or maybe better yet, the CTS-V coupe.

However, I would still stand by Audi S3. It seems like the perfect type of car for me. I don't need a big car and the G is probably the bigger than I need it to be.

The Cadillac ATS would be on my list too, although I did hear problems with the entertainment system controls.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts

I have a similar dilemma, except for having a bit more time on my lease. I just don't see any real compelling options over buying out my G.

Audi S4--nice, but pricey. Audi leases suck, and their CPO warranty wouldn't last the life of a car loan, and I don't want stuck with an out of warranty German car.

335i--I don't see the new F30 as step up from the G. I might as well just enjoy the money saved and keep my car.

STi--I might consider this is they re-introduced a wagon. But it is kinda harsh riding, boyracer'ish and lacks some of the more luxurious touches of the Infiniti.

CTS-V--I don't know that I have the self restraint for 556 horsepower

Maybe the best option is to keep the G and see if anything new turns up on the market in the next year or so?

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
And now for something completely different....

First - I agree on the S3. It will be on my list to drive early next year when my lease is up...

Second...don't laugh...don't flame....don't well...whatever. But check out a Chevrolet SS. It isn't a 'real' Chevy - it is a Holden Commodore if I remember correctly. LS3 running about 415hp & 415ft-lb. 0-60 in the 4.5 to 5 sec range. Stock exhaust system sounds real healthy too. It is a bit bigger than a G - and all reviews I have read are stellar.

It may look like an Impala as some (most?) angles - but that can be advantage at times...

They only come one way - loaded for @$45k. I would assume they should start dealing on them soon - they are not selling in great numbers nor very fast.

Anyway - one of those is definitely on my list to try when my lease-end is near. Although...I do love my Malbec Black G37S too...
The SS is a consideration. Rumors persist that Chevy will offer a 6MT in it.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
OP, people who agonize over which car to buy, and are keenly aware of monthly payments... those people would be better off just buying a car. You lease cars as a lifestyle choice, not for budgetary reasons, regardless of the short-term perspective on low-leasing payments.

My advice is to buy out your wife's Malbec Black G37S Sedan as your car, and modify it. The RWD S-Sedan is a pretty unique package right of the showroom floor, even more so in Malbec Black.

As for your wife's car... whatever she wants, man.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The SS is a consideration. Rumors persist that Chevy will offer a 6MT in it.
If there were a 6MT in that car, I'm sure it would be much better received in the auto review world than it has been. People want to love this car because of the specs. But if you have to look twice at it to realize it's not a Chevy Malibu, then you've already made a mistake. I kind feel the same way about the GTO, both loving it and feeling icky at the same time.

Mostly, Chevy just sucks, regardless of the Aussie import. However, that new Impala is an interesting car in its segment... (maybe for the wife).
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
OP, people who agonize over which car to buy, and are keenly aware of monthly payments... those people would be better off just buying a car. You lease cars as a lifestyle choice, not for budgetary reasons, regardless of the short-term perspective on low-leasing payments.

If there were a 6MT in that car, I'm sure it would be much better received in the auto review world than it has been. People want to love this car because of the specs. But if you have to look twice at it to realize it's not a Chevy Malibu, then you've already made a mistake. I kind feel the same way about the GTO, both loving it and feeling icky at the same time.

Mostly, Chevy just sucks, regardless of the Aussie import. However, that new Impala is an interesting car in its segment... (maybe for the wife).
I leased entirely for budgetary reasons. I pay more every month for in home child care than my mortgage, G37 and MDX combined. By the time my lease is up, I wont have that monthly expense.

Agreed on the SS. I want to like it....but it's hard to even notice it.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:13 PM
DaCePtak0n

Leasing due to my need to switch up cars.

So saw the A3 and didnt drive it though because of some pretty ****ty weather but for a 2.0T A3 Premium Plus Sedan MSRP'd at 38K, the best he could do was $457/month for 36 months with $1500 down. I;d still be liable for paying off the remaining $1300-1400 in payments left. Kinda shocked me especially when the interior is sooooooo bland!

Was quoted a MSRP 52K infiniti for 46K at $499/month with 1500 down and they roll in the remaining amount of lease payments.

SO decision is made - extending my lease til December of this year and that is also when my wife's lease is up so we will go in guns blazing to "rob" em for 2 Infinitis (one coupe and one sedan).

Appreciate the advice fellas!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:39 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Leasing due to my need to switch up cars.

So saw the A3 and didnt drive it though because of some pretty ****ty weather but for a 2.0T A3 Premium Plus Sedan MSRP'd at 38K, the best he could do was $457/month for 36 months with $1500 down. I;d still be liable for paying off the remaining $1300-1400 in payments left. Kinda shocked me especially when the interior is sooooooo bland!

Was quoted a MSRP 52K infiniti for 46K at $499/month with 1500 down and they roll in the remaining amount of lease payments.

SO decision is made - extending my lease til December of this year and that is also when my wife's lease is up so we will go in guns blazing to "rob" em for 2 Infinitis (one coupe and one sedan).

Appreciate the advice fellas!
The A3 was bland? I never actually physically looked at the car, only pictures. I'm also actually curious about the Lexus IS350 F-sport. The interior does look very nice in that car.

Quick Reply: Advice Requested - Next Car