G37 Sedan

Exhaust opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Falcons1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust opinions

Was looking to add exhaust but i don't want something loud just something thats sounds a little meaner and deeper... Trying to keep that factory look and sound... Any help would be appreciated. THANKS guys
Old 03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Look into Tanabe Axle-backs. They offer a slightly deeper sound if you just do the axle-backs without throwing in High Flow Cats. I had axle-backs before I had the HFCs and it was deeper but not noticable from inside the car really.
The following users liked this post:
Falcons1 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
I'm getting FI exhaust installed today. Going try and take some before and after vids but they won't be the best, just on the phone. Lots of choices out there, I was going to go Tanabe originally but after installing the FI RHFCs I decided a full FI exhaust was the direction I wanted to go.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:13 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm getting FI exhaust installed today. Going try and take some before and after vids but they won't be the best, just on the phone. Lots of choices out there, I was going to go Tanabe originally but after installing the FI RHFCs I decided a full FI exhaust was the direction I wanted to go.
LUCKYYYYYY (use Napolean Dynamite's voice).

Please to send me some vids of the sound if you can. I'll PM you my number. Hope it all goes well
Old 03-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Like warped ideas mentioned, Tanabe Axle-backs will be your best bet.

I have a full FI CBE and RHFCs and this is my first modded car. No regrets either and glad I went with my current setup.

Then again, all of this is relative as well. Try to meetup with some local members and see what is best for you cause you will know what you like or dislike.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
LUCKYYYYYY (use Napolean Dynamite's voice).

Please to send me some vids of the sound if you can. I'll PM you my number. Hope it all goes well
Dude. OMG. Send me your number, what a difference.

The install went smooth as silk and took an hour less than they thought it would. I think it sounds amazing. Glad I went with the 12 inch resonator, I probably would have been happy with the 18 but I am definitely happy I went this route.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:18 PM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
I personally hated the look of the mufflers from the back of the car, and I didn't want to spend big bucks. So, I had the mufflers cut off, and straight pipes fitted. Factory tips were cut and welded onto the new pipes, making it look factory, but sound great!

I get compliments from people often - the most recent being a 5.0 Mustang driver who said, "Damn man! That's the best sounding Infiniti I've ever heard! Damn thang'll scoot too!"

There is no highway drone, it only really gets 'loud' at around 3k. 3k and up though…

Here's a clip of the sound. Total cost for me was $100.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/jwu9rdxYDk/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>
Old 03-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Look into Tanabe Axle-backs. They offer a slightly deeper sound if you just do the axle-backs without throwing in High Flow Cats. I had axle-backs before I had the HFCs and it was deeper but not noticable from inside the car really.
Originally Posted by Choman
Like warped ideas mentioned, Tanabe Axle-backs will be your best bet.

I have a full FI CBE and RHFCs and this is my first modded car. No regrets either and glad I went with my current setup.

Then again, all of this is relative as well. Try to meetup with some local members and see what is best for you cause you will know what you like or dislike.
Question for y'all, as someone considering buying the Tanabe axle back- is it louder at all outside of the car? I want my sedan to be as loud as the coupe.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Inquire with MikeG37S...he has the Tanabe Axle-back and unfortunately I haven't had the chance to sit in his car yet. He should be on the forums, give him a PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:41 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Serpens
Question for y'all, as someone considering buying the Tanabe axle back- is it louder at all outside of the car? I want my sedan to be as loud as the coupe.
A bit.

At low RPM, it is deeper and slightly louder. Mid-range - it is similar to the coupe in my opinion.

That is my opinion based upon some recent 'windows down' driving. It MAY be a bit more aggressive from a 'bystander' point of view...

I have no regrets...wasn't looking for anything too loud.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:00 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by ScrewstonNismo
I personally hated the look of the mufflers from the back of the car, and I didn't want to spend big bucks. So, I had the mufflers cut off, and straight pipes fitted. Factory tips were cut and welded onto the new pipes, making it look factory, but sound great!

I get compliments from people often - the most recent being a 5.0 Mustang driver who said, "Damn man! That's the best sounding Infiniti I've ever heard! Damn thang'll scoot too!"

There is no highway drone, it only really gets 'loud' at around 3k. 3k and up though…

Here's a clip of the sound. Total cost for me was $100.

<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/jwu9rdxYDk/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Dam that sounds sik
Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 PM
crazieight
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm really looking into the Tanabe as well.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Serpens

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
A bit.

At low RPM, it is deeper and slightly louder. Mid-range - it is similar to the coupe in my opinion.

That is my opinion based upon some recent 'windows down' driving. It MAY be a bit more aggressive from a 'bystander' point of view...

I have no regrets...wasn't looking for anything too loud.
Sounds perfect. Thanks all. Falcons1, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
08Gsmith25

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have the tanabe. just adding the mufflers you will not hear a difference inside the cabin at all. if you get someone else to drive it for you and you can listen as they drive away, you will see its louder and just a little more exotic sounding, like most aftermarkets give, but definitely not obnoxious by any stretch of the imagination. i woudl say overall volume is still probably less than a stock coupe

i added ARK HFCs and it still isnt obnoxious but sounds MUCH better IMO, and i was on the conservative side with my wife growing tired of my modding and not wanting my car sounding like a ricer

so if it gets her seal of approval i can guarantee you its not over the top
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 PM
zakb33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sent you pm Falcons1

Quick Reply: Exhaust opinions