Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:23 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Anyone here ever replace the dashboard, steering wheel and/or center console? If so, is it very labor-intensive?

Have a "stone" (light grey) interior, which in MY2013, provides a greyish brown steering wheel, dash and center console (and tops of the doors, for that matter).

Would really prefer black steering wheel, dash, etc. like how the earlier G37's with stone interior were designed. Surprised that the parts would come in a well under $1K on eBay (assuming I'd preserve my original Nav, radio, gauge cluster, etc.), which would make it a viable project, but not if labor cost would blow it out of the water.,

Thanks for any insight
Old 03-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
^^^
And your entire armrest/center console. And your door panels, front to back. And your door sills. And your seat belts, rear window ledge, inside B-pillar panels, inside C-pillar panels... probably more.

I'm not going to lie, I've thought about this too, but never enough to actually pursue it. It's huge. Unless all you're considering is the dash and center console. But won't that look out of place if you don't do the doors and side sills? And if you do that, won't the B- and C-pillars look odd? It's a slippery slope, STownSaint.

Right from the very beginning, I was not liking the beige plastics and vinyl introduced with the 2010 Stone interior. I much preferred the 2007 - 2009 design. It was just the Stone leather I wanted, not all the beige plastics.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-16-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
And your entire armrest/center console.
Mentioned it

And your door panels, front to back.
Mentioned it

And your door sills.
Wouldn't bother

And your seat belts, rear window ledge,
Wouldn't bother

inside B-pillar panels, inside C-pillar panels... probably more.
Almost certain these are light grey for all interior colors (same with headliner)

Unless all you're considering is the dash and center console. But won't that look out of place if you don't do the doors and side sills?
Would for sure do door trim, side sills would not really make a difference to me

And if you do that, won't the B- and C-pillars look odd?
Anything above the dash is light grey for all interior colors. Google it.

Right from the very beginning, I was not liking the beige plastics and vinyl introduced with the 2010 Stone interior. I much preferred the 2007 - 2009 design. It was just the Stone leather I wanted, not all the beige plastics.
Agreed
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
It looks like wheels, doors, roof and engine are all intact, probably not the nose. I think you guys are quick to write this off.

Based on the damage. I can't see how they wouldn't total ZM's car. You'd be very surprised at how little damage it takes to total a car these days.

When my car was hit in the right rear quarter panel a few years back I had to fight with the insurance company not to total the car. It had $7K - $8K in damage and the car was valued at around $13K (2008 with 60K miles). My insurance company told me that anything over 50% of the cars value will simply be written off and totalled. I ended up having to have the car revalued since it has low mileage and lots of "upgrades" just to keep them from totaling it.

Name:  442d0e1d-f515-43ba-87c5-a43dedc51f71_zpsnrsrxjl8.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  151.9 KB

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Left side has quite a bit of frame damage, i didn't even get to see the front yet. Was already in the ambulance by the time they pulled it out. Really hoping it's a total loss at this point. It'll never drive the same.

And I appreciate the support guys. Really means alot. I broke down when I saw the damage.

Really sorry to hear about you car, ZM. But at least everyone was OK. Hopefully your able to find a replacement car soon so you can get back to modding!

Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
My 2013 6MT Sedan had 57k miles and was estimated at 19k value by the insurance and had about 18k in damage and the rear end didn't look nearly as bad as Zahy's plus the front damage that bet is worse than mine was, however my trunk floor did crack open and that really would've been expensive to fix, driver's side quarter panel got pushed forward, rear doors wouldn't open and the driver's doors got pushed forward and made contact with the fender, all in all I got 22.5k from the insurance after condition adjustments plus taxes etc.

It's very highly unlikely that it wouldn't get totaled given the seen damage

I agree with your assessment, Mike. And is sounds like you made out pretty well with your insurance company. I would have had to fight tooth and nail to get even $15K out of my car.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Mentioned it

Almost certain these are light grey for all interior colors (same with headliner)

Would for sure do door trim, side sills would not really make a difference to me

Anything above the dash is light grey for all interior colors. Google it.

You are correct on this, sir. Even my 2008 with Stone interior is light grey above the belt line.

I may also have a full set of door panels and stone grey seat belts available in a few months. I purchased black seat belts already and have an extra full set of door panels that I plan to have reupholstered to match my new seats. Once that's all done I will probably sell the original parts.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:57 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
2GoRNot2G
That photo of your car almost gave me a heart attack, for a second thought it was new damage.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
How did they fix the rear quarter damage on your car? Did they cut and weld in a new outer skin? Pull the panel and fill?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:17 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
I have some good and bad news. So the car was declared a total loss, and my insurance was giving me $17,000. I think that's a fair price for a 2012 X (non-sport) sedan with 58,000 miles. MY policy also included coverage for aftermarket parts, like $5,000. I submit EVERY SINGLE receipt/invoice I had (I kept everything), totals out to well over $5,000. Insurance contacts me today saying they revised my payout, to $18,000. That's unfair and unacceptable. There is no way I'm going to accept this. No reason whatsoever that I'm losing thousands of dollars due to the negligence of another driver. I did nothing wrong. I'm hoping I can get everything settled.

Now for the good news, I am most likely picking my 6MT Sedan next week (fingers crossed)

I have big plans for this one. Enkei RSM9s, 2-piece rotors, Quafe Helical LSD, RJM clutch pedal, STS, CF driveshaft (if I get bored)... and whatever else I can think of.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
CF driveshaft, eh? That sounds serious.

Really looking forward to seeing your new build thread. Should be a heck of an into, with lots of pics from that new DLSR of yours.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
I have some good and bad news. So the car was declared a total loss, and my insurance was giving me $17,000. I think that's a fair price for a 2012 X (non-sport) sedan with 58,000 miles. MY policy also included coverage for aftermarket parts, like $5,000. I submit EVERY SINGLE receipt/invoice I had (I kept everything), totals out to well over $5,000. Insurance contacts me today saying they revised my payout, to $18,000. That's unfair and unacceptable. There is no way I'm going to accept this. No reason whatsoever that I'm losing thousands of dollars due to the negligence of another driver. I did nothing wrong. I'm hoping I can get everything settled.

Now for the good news, I am most likely picking my 6MT Sedan next week (fingers crossed)

I have big plans for this one. Enkei RSM9s, 2-piece rotors, Quafe Helical LSD, RJM clutch pedal, STS, CF driveshaft (if I get bored)... and whatever else I can think of.
How does it work if your policy includes coverage for aftermarket parts, but your not at fault?

I assume the at-fault drivers insurance is providing the payout.

Do you have to file a separate claim with your insurance?
Old 03-18-2017, 08:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Zahy, will they allow you to remove your aftermarket parts? You should have a decent amount of parts that are still ok, and yeah, that settlement would make my blood boil if you can't salvage the parts. Hope that 6MT works out well, look forward to your next chapter.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

When i had a wreck they told me I could go down to the crash lot and take off my stuff (which i did for most of the stuff), but they also said they would take receipts for parts, but ONLY for parts in the past 6 months. I was like WTF? How is that fair? And this what when I went through the at fault driver's insurance... i think it was Geico.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
CF driveshaft, eh? That sounds serious.

Really looking forward to seeing your new build thread. Should be a heck of an into, with lots of pics from that new DLSR of yours.
CF driveshaft is more of a long-term thing. I guess to shed as much weight as possible with sacrificing things like, luxury and comfort. I appreciate that, kinda sad that I barely got to take any pictures of my VR sedan.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
How does it work if your policy includes coverage for aftermarket parts, but your not at fault?

I assume the at-fault drivers insurance is providing the payout.

Do you have to file a separate claim with your insurance?
Well it's stated on my policy, that if you are paying for comprehensive coverage, that counts as your custom parts and equipment coverage. I provided them with all the receipts, and they offered me a ridiculously low payout. My own insurance, USAA, is handling this, but the at-fault insurance (State Farm) accepted liability, paid for my rental and my deductible. I figured my own insurance company would try to help me get my money back but I guess not.

Originally Posted by blnewt
Zahy, will they allow you to remove your aftermarket parts? You should have a decent amount of parts that are still ok, and yeah, that settlement would make my blood boil if you can't get salvage the parts. Hope that 6MT works out well, look forward to your next chapter.
I won't be able to find out until Monday. This whole experience has been terrible. Accident happened the day before I went home on post-deployment leave. Was really excited to spend 17 worry-free days with my family and friends, install a bunch of parts on the car that I had purchased several months before... It couldn't of happened at a worse time. And from the looks of it, I'm coming out of this with thousands of dollars lost. I don't get it, I did absolutely nothing wrong.

Originally Posted by iCrap
When i had a wreck they told me I could go down to the crash lot and take off my stuff (which i did for most of the stuff), but they also said they would take receipts for parts, but ONLY for parts in the past 6 months. I was like WTF? How is that fair? And this what when I went through the at fault driver's insurance... i think it was Geico.
Everyone told me to avoid dealing with the at-fault insurance. He had State Farm. I have USAA. Hoping things will take a turn for the better.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:13 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Everyone told me to avoid dealing with the at-fault insurance. He had State Farm. I have USAA. Hoping things will take a turn for the better.
But if you dont then you have to pay the deductible. Also, i was told that going through your own insurance can cause your rates to not go down in the future.

It really sucks, why should you have to pay / lose money because some ****ing *** hole didn't pay attention while driving? It sucks.

Having a car totaled really made me reconsider doing big mods on my cars. Its almost like why bother if it can all be destroyed and taken away in a second by someone crashing into you.

Oh also, you can negotiate with the adjuster and get a LOT more $ out of them. The final payout of my wrecked Acura ended up being several thousand more than I could have ever sold it for, and my car was in very good condition.

I ended up not getting all the value back on my mods, but it kind of made up for it considering their valuation of the car was high.
I think I lost the $$ of my sway bars, breaks, intake and some other stuff I was not able to remove while in the crash lot.

Last edited by iCrap; 03-18-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Years ago, my neighbor backed into my parked car. Dealing with their insurance--USAA--was a total PIA. They kept trying to rope me into admitting some sort of fault. I had to ask, point blank, if they understood my car was parked and unattended.

Then, they insisted on using used parts because my car was 4 years old, even though it had like 30,000 miles. I could have filed a supplemental claim through my insurance--State Farm, which uses OEM parts--but the incremental cost of new parts was about equal to my deductible. I chose to pocket the rental reimbursement, drive my second car, and eat the rest.

FUSAA

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread