Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 01:36 PM
Gregor12
Registered Member

Received 111 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails

First, sorry for the HUGE WALL of text. Without further ado, second...

I can't do it. That's the decision I came to and I'm quite happy with it. Today I had planned to go over to Jotech Motorsports and take my G37 sedan back to stock to trade the car for a '15 Q50S.

The reasons leading up to moving to the Q50 were many with the 7AT behavior being high on the list. A close second was that the rear suspension had gotten what felt like (and there's no other way to describe this) being "squishy".

I spent a good deal of time talking to Tony and Thomas about the issues I was having. I figured it would at least be worth a shot to drop the Koni Yellows out of the rear and add another full turn of twist to them. It only took a few minutes and they were back in the car.

I have been having some strange 7AT behavior lately. I have video of it and will post in a separate thread. But the long and short of it is that in traffic from 0 - 40 mph, the thing feels like a mess...almost like it's slipping and/or has a 2,500 rpm stall. In addition, in top gear on the highway at about 70 mph, at times, it feels like the torque converter unlocks and the rpm blips 3-400 rpm upward and then settles back down. Very odd behavior and I've had it into the dealer about three times for this issue. The first time, they said the transmission was a quart low on fluid. They filled it and it seemed to go away. How it got low is a great mystery because it doesn't leak a drop of fluid. But it's still exhibiting the issue. But they are insisting that is normal. Even took a drive with one of their master techs. More on that later.

Thomas drove it and saw exactly what I was talking about and said it feels like it's slipping or has a 2,500 rpm stall. He thinks we can clean up some of the low end sloppiness with an UPREV tune. Thomas said the dealer may be punting essentially because there's no catastrophic failer and there's no money in it for them in replacing stuff. I have an extended warranty. He said that they had a contact at a dealer and he said that was sometimes what was done on stuff like that. You wouldn't expect that from a dealer, but stranger things have happened. I may take it to another dealer and have them look at it to get a second opinion to make sure it's not something that a warranty would cover.

So, I ended up going with a tune instead, but my ECU code has never been tuned, so he downloaded my ROM and is sending it to UPREV. I'll be going back next week to finish the tune.

Thomas made did a dyno run back when it was completely stock a few years back and it laid down 270hp/248tq at the wheels. I was interested in what my numbers would be with the full exhaust and intake so we strapped it on the dyno and with no tune at all, just breather mods, it laid down 292hp/239tq. I thought that was pretty impressive so we'll see what the final numbers end up at next week and how much we can clean up the shifts. We may also do a valve body upgrade.

Getting in the car to drive back home, the car feels completely different...it's like a different car after stiffening the rear struts a full turn. From what I understand this increases the rebound. It was VERY noticeable. What was I thinking for the past 2.5 years driving around with the rears not as firm as they should be??

I also ran into Nate from Diode Dynamics while I was there because he happened to be in town visiting their dealers. Nate is super cool and had very nice things to say about the forum here-- that it was one of the best out there and I have to agree with him. I will be doing the tail as turn mod as well.

Tony suggested to keep the G37 because it's nice not having a car payment and he's right! There were too many factors going against the decision to trade for a Q50. It was one of those decisions I didn't have peace about...I was very torn. There are so many intangibles about this car that make it what it is and that give it the "character" the G37 had become famous for.

I've decided to fix the things that are annoying me about the car and keep it indefinitely with no plans to trade it for anything else in the future...even a Q50. I've decided that the G37 is a fantastic daily drive with enough sporty character and attitude for a daily. Instead, I'm just going to save for a pre-owned GT-R and that will be my fun car in a few year's time. In the mean time, I'm pulling out John's playbook and will be planning long-term mods and enjoying them.

Leave it to the GT-R guys to help you make the decision not to get a Q50 and just get a pre-owned GT-R down the road. At the end of the day, I couldn't part with the G, I couldn't do it. So, now I'll probably do a build thread since I'm not going anywhere.

Immediate things that came to mind for mods are wheels (again), re-do the tint darker, re-paint the front bumper and hood (because I have many rock chips), sport front lip spoiler (think that's what that thing is), possible Swifts, GT-SPEC front strut tower bar, and maybe, just maybe, a set of twin snails to round things out but that's a long way off on the snails.

I'm super glad to be staying in the family and I think I made the right decision and it would be too hard to leave the friends I've made here over the last several years.
Hell yes!! G37 FTW lol good to hear youre keeping. I don't think the q50 was really worth it to you!

As for the trans, I know this is going to sound crazy but I did it and I swear it work. Leave your battery unplugged over night. After you unplug it hit the brakes and push the start button (apparently this drains anything left in the system) lol. Anyways, whenever you plug it back up just drive the car like you normally would. See if it fixes it.

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
How do you like the Typhoons?

Do you feel like you lost any low end pull?

And lastly the sound. Can you tell you installed a SRI by a different exhaust note with these?

Thanks....
If you don't mind me chiming in, There was a 370z at soho that got dynoed with these on and he made good power. They definitely won't be a restriction point. They sound really good too. You'll def notice an increase in sound at WOT.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (05-19-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 01:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I bought my first new car in 1986. As soon as it was paid off (almost always 4 year loans), I bought another new car.
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger turbo
1990 Chevy S10 Durango
1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R
1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
2002 Dodge Dakota
2007(!) Mazda Miata
2011 Infiniti G37S
For the second time since 1986, I'm without a car payment and oddly enough, I'm not itching for another car. That said, I would like to own/lease a BMW 3 Series and a VW Golf GTi at some point. And a nicely refurbished 240Z.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
Have you posted a pic of your new wheels yet Brad or is it a secret till you get them put on?

I haven't seen anything yet and am just curious as hell is all....
I know what they are, but that's because I'm special, and Brad likes me more than the rest of you schlubs, hahahahah

Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I know what they are, but that's because I'm special, and Brad likes me more than the rest of you schlubs, hahahahah

That's it, I'm going to remove my friend status.
BTW, John was just kidding
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
About bein' special or knowing what wheels you got?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:20 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregor12

If you don't mind me chiming in, There was a 370z at soho that got dynoed with these on and he made good power. They definitely won't be a restriction point. They sound really good too. You'll def notice an increase in sound at WOT.
Not at all. Yeah i've heard they add some extra volume at WOT due to them being able to suck in more air. I can see them making good power in the mid to upper RPMs due to the extra volume of air but i've read where a few people who have purchased SRI loosing some of the low end pull on take offs when getting on it....
Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

lol.

How about at least a time line B. A hint. Something. The suspense is just too much...
Old 05-12-2016, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
About bein' special or knowing what wheels you got?
There's a difference?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
lol.

How about at least a time line B. A hint. Something. The suspense is just too much...
Damn, I guess since you're also a friend~, but that's it!

The following users liked this post:
ColumbiaSkinny (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You know... not a single one of you yahoos noticed that the second song in this STS before/after video was "Hold On" by Triumph.

Sheesh, I couldn't have been any more obvious.

My wife and kid laughed at me pretty brutal last night. (sigh)

Old 05-12-2016, 04:23 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
You know... not a single one of you yahoos noticed that the second song in this STS before/after video was "Hold On" by Triumph.

Sheesh, I couldn't have been any more obvious.

My wife and kid laughed at me pretty brutal last night. (sigh)

Shifter Compare - YouTube

I didn't think much of it at all John. The soundtrack for the video suited your online personality .
Old 05-12-2016, 05:25 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I bought my first new car in 1986. As soon as it was paid off (almost always 4 year loans), I bought another new car.
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger turbo
This is what I was rolling on in '86. Only, I painted the frame white and traded my mags for white ones!

Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Wow... Pam Anderson has gotten old....and something different about her

Last edited by G37sPhoton; 05-12-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Funny newt would choose Iggy to respond to my silly comment. James Osterberg was raised in the same hometown area as myself...Ann Arbor.

And he is near the top of my list of faves.

Sean
Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Well guys wish me luck, heading over a couple states tomorrow to go check out a 13' 6mt malbec black sedan. Not holding my breath as I went through this last year....and never got the deal done. But we shall see

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread