Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Still love the overall look of the front of your car! Especially the amber fogs along with the matching plate. Ever had any thoughts of getting the OEM front sport lip? I've always thought that was a nice addition to the sport bumper on our cars especially if they are properly lowered.
Four plus years now, so of course I've considered the front lip many, many times. At the end of the day, no, don't want it.

I may or may not go with the amber tint again this Spring as I play with a new set of LED fogs from Retrofit Source... Sitting here in the corner all winter now. Ive got three things to consider when it gets warmer: fogs, rings and switchbacks. Not really sure yet how I want it to look, but I'm leaning towards going back to what you see in that 3 year old pic.

I like the creamsicle look. I'd like it even better if the headlights were darker, with the little amber 180 decal on the inside.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:18 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by JDoobie
So I was price shopping the attached rim (SRT 620 19x8.5 and 9.5) and I was asked what tire size for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I really has no idea but it was suggested to have 245/35-19 in front and 275/35-19 in back. My knowledge in this particular area is lacking and I am reading up on it but I'd like to see if anyone has any suggestions with "offset". I will also need to look up what offset mean as well.

Happy Friday.

-JDub

Does that wheel come in any wider sizes? If so, I would suggest going with a 9" or 9.5" wide wheel up front and a 10" or 10.5" wide wheel in the rear, especially with the tire sizes you have chosen. The offsets you selected will really depend on what type of look you are trying to achieve.. There's conservative, aggressive (which is basically flush IMO), and then there's the fully stanced out VIP look.

Regarding tire sizes... The width you selected are fine, but I would suggest going with 245/40R19's up front to better match the diameter of the 275/35R19's in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
JDoobie (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:56 PM
JDoobie
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that wheel come in any wider sizes? If so, I would suggest going with a 9" or 9.5" wide wheel up front and a 10" or 10.5" wide wheel in the rear, especially with the tire sizes you have chosen. The offsets you selected will really depend on what type of look you are trying to achieve.. There's conservative, aggressive (which is basically flush IMO), and then there's the fully stanced out VIP look.

Regarding tire sizes... The width you selected are fine, but I would suggest going with 245/40R19's up front to better match the diameter of the 275/35R19's in the rear.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking Michelin Pilot Super Sports with your recommendation. Your suggested change increased the tire set by $250 dollars (>$1,000) which is fine but I could save roughly $400 if I went with Bridge POTENZA RE760 SPORT. Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:52 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking Michelin Pilot Super Sports with your recommendation. Your suggested change increased the tire set by $250 dollars (>$1,000) which is fine but I could save roughly $400 if I went with Bridge POTENZA RE760 SPORT. Thoughts?
I've got Bridgestone Pole Positions and I think they handle fantastic for the price. I don't push my car nearly hard enough and I drive way too much for me to justify the cost of the Michelin PSS.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:06 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Super sports are amazing. I suggest going with them if you can spend the extra $ and don't mind how fast they wear out.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM
JDoobie
Registered Member

Regarding tire sizes... The width you selected are fine, but I would suggest going with 245/40R19's up front to better match the diameter of the 275/35R19's in the rear.[/QUOTE]

So I talked with the guy and here is what I came back with.
The type of wheel is only available in 19x8.5 or 9.5. Should I go staggered or 9.5's all around?

Based on your choice the tire would be 245/40 R19s in a set of 4. The guy is trying to sell me on 245/45R19 Michelins for $175 a tire.

Lastly, for the 19x9.5 offset choices are are 20 and 38 which option will sit flush?

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:54 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

This all depends on what kind of driving you do and how long you expect the tires to last. I sold tires for 6+ years when I was in college and I can tell you that both Bridgestone's and Michelin's are excellent tires. I was even offered a job by Michelin at one point but turned it down. I've had the RE760 Sports on a different car before and was very happy with them. They are a VERY quiet tire, ride nice and smooth, and last quite a while for a high performance tire, but keep in mind that they are not even in the same league as the Michelin PSS's as far as dry weather performance/handling goes. The Bridgestone S001's (which I am currently running) would be a closer comparison to the Michelin, but they are also considerably more expensive than the RE760's. When selecting a tire at a minimum you should at least consider the following:
  • Do I need a tire with all season traction (i.e. a tire that is m/s (mud & snow) rated? Obviously if you live in Cali you probably don't need this, but if you live in Chicago you might want to consider this.
  • How many miles a year do I drive? If you drive 15- 20K miles a year then you probably don't want to buy the Michelin PSS's, because if you do you'll probably be replacing them once a year.
  • What's my ratio of highway to city driving? If you drive a lot of highway miles then you may want to consider a quieter/smoother riding tire like the RE760's.
  • How hard do I drive the car, or do you ever plan to track the car with the street tires on it?
  • What's my budget?

Last edited by 2GoRNot2G; 02-26-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added last bullet point.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:18 PM
JDoobie
Registered Member

This all depends on what kind of driving you do and how long you expect the tires to last. I sold tires for 6+ years when I was in college and I can tell you that both Bridgestone's and Michelin's are excellent tires. I was even offered a job by Michelin at one point but turned it down. I've had the RE760 Sports on a different car before and was very happy with them. They are a VERY quiet tire, ride nice and smooth, and last quite a while for a high performance tire, but keep in mind that they are not even in the same league as the Michelin PSS's as far as dry weather performance/handling goes. The Bridgestone S001's (which I am currently running) would be a closer comparison to the Michelin, but they are also considerably more expensive than the RE760's. When selecting a tire at a minimum you should at least consider the following:
  • Do I need a tire with all season traction (i.e. a tire that is m/s (mud & snow) rated? Obviously if you live in Cali you probably don't need this, but if you live in Chicago you might want to consider this.
  • How many miles a year do I drive? If you drive 15- 20K miles a year then you probably don't want to buy the Michelin PSS's, because if you do you'll probably be replacing them once a year.
  • What's my ratio of highway to city driving? If you drive a lot of highway miles then you may want to consider a quieter/smoother riding tire like the RE760's.
  • How hard do I drive the car, or do you ever plan to track the car with the street tires on it?
  • What's my budget?

Thanks. I think you answered that question for me.

The type of wheel I want is only available in 19x8.5 or 9.5. Should I go staggered or 9.5's all around?

Based on your choice the tire would be 245/40 R19s in a set of 4. The guy is trying to sell me on 245/45R19 Michelins for $175 a tire.

Lastly, for the 19x9.5 offset choices are are 20 and 38 which option will sit flush?

Thanks again.

Last edited by JDoobie; 02-26-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Follow up Q
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
  • What's my budget?
Very informative!! Thanks. Sorry to keep firing questions at you on different threads. LOL

So:

I'm running Conti's DWS 06 right now. Not too bad as far as weather here in MD.

For a summer tire which would you run? (longevity is some consideration, budget is pretty flexible):

BS - S-04
BS - S001
M - PSS

Thanks,
Sean
Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Thanks. I think you answered that question for me.

The type of wheel I want is only available in 19x8.5 or 9.5. Should I go staggered or 9.5's all around?

Thanks again.

Don't do with the 245/45's, as those are going to be a bit too tall.

If your in a RWD sedan I would just stick with the staggered set-up. I feel the car is a little better balanced with a slightly wider tire in the rear... plus, it just doesn't seem right going with a square set-up on a RWD car.

If you like the stretched tire look then you definitely wont get it with these wheel, otherwise you should still be ok with those wheel widths and tire sizes... you'll just be running towards the narrow range of the acceptable rim widths.

19"x8.5" with 20mm offset with 245/40R19's (~26.7" diameter) up front.
19"x9.5" with 38mm offset with 275/35R19's (~26.6" diameter) for the rear.

This set-up won't be perfectly flush, but it will get you pretty close and you won't need to run any excessive negative camber to make it work.

Originally Posted by VIVID
Very informative!! Thanks. Sorry to keep firing questions at you on different threads. LOL

So:

I'm running Conti's DWS 06 right now. Not too bad as far as weather here in MD.

For a summer tire which would you run? (longevity is some consideration, budget is pretty flexible):

BS - S-04
BS - S001
M - PSS

Thanks,
Sean
No problem, Sean... Wheels and tires is one of my fortes and I'm actually posting on a similar thread over on the Wrangler forum right now as well.

Since you're running Continentals already, have you considered the Continental Extreme Contact DW (Dry Weather)? This is another very well reviewed Summer performance tire and has a higher wear rating than the other 3 tires you are considering (which I have owned all 3). Although I have driven in a couple of cars using this tire and they were a bit noisier than your other choices (all of which I have owned - PSS on my M3 and both Bridgestone's on my G).

That said. I'm really happy with the Bridgestone S001's I have on the car right now. They handle really well, don't track grooves in the road, and are very quiet, but the rears are nearly worn out in just 6K miles! I had the S04's on the car before that and although they didn't handle quite as well and were a tiny bit noisier (although this is hard to judge since they were old and worn when I put the brand new S001's on) than the S001's they did last considerably longer. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the wild card of these choices and are probably my favorite all around dry weather performance tire, but they are also the most expensive. Since I had then as original equipment on my M3 I haven't owned another set. It's not that I don't think they are great tires, but I just have a hard time justifying the cost difference and am not sure it outweighs the slight advantages it has over the other tires, but if cost is no object (or if you happen to find a killer deal on the PSS's) then I would probably go with the Michelin's. Also, a good portion of the 18" and 19" sizes of the PSS's are made in the US at their plan I Spartanburg, SC, so you are actually getting a US made product! Either way, though, you would be getting a quality set tires... I can't recall how many sets of Bridgestone's I've purchased over the years and have never had an issue with single tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2GoRNot2G:
JDoobie (02-26-2016), VIVID (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM
JDoobie
Registered Member

You're doing Gods work 2G!

Thanks...pics to come.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

You're doing Gods work 2G!

Thanks...pics to come.

Glad to help.

Can't wait to see some pics of the final set-up. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:53 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
hey guys…need some insight/advice on some options regarding my recent “dilemma”. My wife loves to drive the G37x we have (handled great in the winter storms we experienced this year). We’ve been deciding to get an SUV once we turn in the lease on her commuter car (2014 Altima). The SUV will most likely be driven by me.

Wife loves to drive the G, as do I. I’ve been postponing more mods to the G until the spring. BUT, wifey enjoys the quiet comfort of how it drives now (I’ve only upgraded the exhaust tips and exhaust tubing from the mid pipes). it’s still on stock ride height, but has the Eibach adjustable rear sway bar, Cusco front upper strut bar. It is Uprev’d tuned with the M370 intake manifold, silicone post MAF tubing, aFe dry filters.

Mods yet to be installed:
Swift springs
Fast Intentions CBE (18” resonators)
G35 19” Rays wheels (need to be refinished)

Do I install the mods listed above (mainly since I already have the parts and would like to see the completed project) or sell the parts and put future mods to the SUV? I’d love to have both cars modded to my liking, but won’t be really spending a lot of time in the G….Maybe I’m just over analyzing this…too early in the morning...LOL.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
If she loves the quiet power in its current form, she's most decidedly not going to like the FI exhaust.

You might want to re-think that one. It's a pretty dramatic change.
The following users liked this post:
CPJ LB (02-28-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
If she loves the quiet power in its current form, she's most decidedly not going to like the FI exhaust.

You might want to re-think that one. It's a pretty dramatic change.

LOL, but really though, I disagree with this sentiment as I thought the catback was much too quiet (sounded great though) and I had the 12 inch resonators......... Honestly, it's not much louder than the g37s coupe exhaust in stock form. There's also no drone or rasp so in my opinion I believe she will love the sound rather than lament it. People have different opinions on what is loud though so who knows. The good thing is a catback install is a piece of cake so you can throw it on and see if she likes it and if not just take it back off and sell it on here (it will go fast).

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread