Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 AM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by AroundTheG37
The one thing I don't like about my FI exhaust is that there almost no sound under deceleration. Very uneventful if you ask me.
Can't say the same about mine, it sounds sweet
Old 10-22-2014, 12:52 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
Can't say the same about mine, it sounds sweet
Way to rub it in...... lol
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 05:14 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
The one thing I don't like about my FI exhaust is that there almost no sound under deceleration. Very uneventful if you ask me.
What size resonators?

That's odd because I have found that mine has plenty of sound under deceleration. Especially with the rev match, the thing simply growls most the time.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd have to agree with you, unless you're rev match downshifting. It goes very quiet. Maybe after RHFC or test pipes it will wake up.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 AM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by alxmlr789
Hate to change the subject but I have to share this pic with you from MM3 this weekend. Although the weekend did get out of hand...It was a lot of fun, only a few G37 sedans done right out there. This pic was taken by Viet, my buddy who owns Leveled Designs. Screen name on here is Iamvietdang
I have a few pics of your car too. I'll get to unloading them from my camera soon.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
Well, those are the objective facts. Some people claim a higher pitched sound for the CF, while others say that the sound difference isn't that much.

I found a quote from the370z forum:

"The Carbon Fiber sleeve is technically not thinner than the Stainless Steel case. The reason it dissipates the sound differently is mainly due to the material characteristic of one to the other. It is also due to the way Carbon Fiber muffler seals to the end cap vs the Stainless Steel being welded all the way around.

Thanks, Tony"

Here is the link if you want to read more:
Fast Intentions Exhaust Questions - Page 2 - Nissan 370Z Forum
Thank you, Alfredo. Seems the CF cans are a vanity thing with bragging rights. And while I'm certainly guilty of vanity about things no one sees (like under the hood ), the mufflers are even less seen... except for the face, which is still just polished SS.

Damn pretty hardware, no doubt. And good info finding it and putting it under consideration. But not for me, and particularly not if the tone goes higher, rather than lower.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Do you still have OEM cats? And which size resonators did you go with, if any?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
What size resonators?

That's odd because I have found that mine has plenty of sound under deceleration. Especially with the rev match, the thing simply growls most the time.
Chris, could you do me the favor of measuring the FI tip from the can to the very end?

And if you have a caliper handy, could you also measure the diameter of the neck where it connects to the can?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:32 AM
AroundTheG37
Registered Member

Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Do you still have OEM cats? And which size resonators did you go with, if any?
Still OEM cats (FI HFC's collecting dust right now) ,12 inch resonators.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:05 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Still OEM cats (FI HFC's collecting dust right now) ,12 inch resonators.

What you need to do is to get HFCs on there and then get an unresonated x-pipe. If you want sound, you'll get it
twin_snails (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
<<<@!1!@>>>

This.

If you listen to this on headphones and turn up to 3/4 to 7/8 volume (assuming it doesn't hurt your ears, your mileage may vary on volume depending on computer, headphones and if you're using a DAC), that probably best replicates what it sounds like in person.

I have plenty of decel sound on mine. FI resonated HFC's (like you are sporting but mine are 2.5") Sedans by default are 2.25" for the RHFC's and the catback. The reason being is that it corks up the sound a little bit more than 2.5" does as they figure some sedan drivers prefer a little more quietness. Mike, I know I owe you some GoPro videos from the bumper under heavy acceleration, but time has been an issue for me on that.

I am 2.5" from the cats to the tailpipes. It was only a small upgrade to go to full 2.5" and I don't regret it at all. If you can get those Red Tail tips built into your exhaust, hmmmmm...money. I didn't know those were out there and would have considered having those put on mine...because I think slightly oval tip for the sedan > than full round with the 30° slice on the tips.

Also have the non-resonated x-pipe. My only resonation is taking place at the cats. I have no complaints and when I am cruising under deceleration to a stop light in 3rd gear at 3,000 rpm, I'll downshift to 2nd which rev matches to ≈ 4,000. Sounds very close to a GT-R when that happens and cold starts do sound very similar to a GT-R-- a truly blissful noise IMHO. The exhaust can really be loud but it can also be rather tame and this of course all depends on shift point and the amount of throttle. The more throttle, the louder it is, ergo why I granny drive a lot of the time. I have no complaints about the volume. It's pretty much the goldilocks exhaust for me-- it's everything I want it to be, when I want it to be.

Also, to clarify on the CF cans, those are only made for the coupe. I asked Lance about this when I was doing my due diligence before pulling the trigger.

The wait for Fast Intentions is worth it. Zero fitment issues and non of the piping sits any lower than stock. I'm at stock ride height but contemplating Swifts.. at some point. I'm hesitant to get into lowering because I want my camber and toe settings dead nuts on with factory specs. I'm a little **** retentive about that after having a lowered car in the past and always having issues with alignment. Notice there are no low dips on in the exhaust though which is good.

For reference, this is the video of Lance's setup that sold me hook, line and sinker on my setup:

He has RHFC's + 2.5" non-resonated. He's 6MT so it sounds a little bit different than mine at idle with the clutch/flywheel/throw out bearing noises. Also notice the deep thumping sound in both exhausts once they settle down to idle from a cold start. That almost sounds like a helmholz type resonator to me, but deeper.

Last edited by twin_snails; 10-22-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by twin_snails
I am 2.5" from the cats to the tailpipes. It was only a small upgrade to go to full 2.5" and I don't regret it at all.
2.25" vs 2.5"? I don't recall that coming up as a consideration when I bought my RHFC's last year. So that means what... that I have the 2.25" diameter piping on both ends?

Originally Posted by twin_snails
If you can get those Red Tail tips built into your exhaust, hmmmmm...money. I didn't know those were out there and would have considered having those put on mine...because I think slightly oval tip for the sedan > than full round with the 30° slice on the tips.
There are a number of different model tips from Red Tail, but I think the one that works is 7.25" long, and has a 2" neck flared to a 4.75" x 3.25" rolled, slash-cut:

Exhaust Muffler Tip Oval Forward Slash Cut Double Wall Inter-cooled Rolled Edge Resonated 2" Inlet / ID, 4.75X3.25"Outlet / OD #RTP-005

However, note that this is different than OEM. I just happen to have one of my OEM tips here in my hands, left over after cutting them off 2.5 years ago. The dimensions on those are 4.25" x 3.5". In other words, the Red Tail tip is slightly wider by 1/2 inch, and slightly more oval by 0.25". All in all, it's more of an oval than the OEM tips.

Something to consider, good or bad... different.

But I'd need to know the FI tip dimensions from end-2-end, for comparison.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-22-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Motoboat (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:39 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
2.25" vs 2.5"? I don't recall that coming up as a consideration when I bought my RHFC's last year. So that means what... that I have the 2.25" diameter piping on both ends?

There are a number of different model tips from Red Tail, but I think the one that works is 7.25" long, and has a 2" neck flared to a 4.75" x 3.25" rolled, slash-cut:

Exhaust Muffler Tip Oval Forward Slash Cut Double Wall Inter-cooled Rolled Edge Resonated 2" Inlet / ID, 4.75X3.25"Outlet / OD #RTP-005

However, note that this is different than OEM. I just happen to have one of my OEM tips here in my hands, left over after cutting them off 2.5 years ago. The dimensions on those are 4.25" x 3.5". In other words, the Red Tail tip is slightly wider by 1/2 inch, and slightly more oval by 0.25". All in all, it's more of an oval than the OEM tips.

Something to consider, good or bad... different.

But I'd need to know the FI tip dimensions from end-2-end, for comparison.
More than likely, unless you specified, you probably have 2.25" RHFC's. You may want to double check with Lance but as I understand it, 2.25" is default piping diameter for sedans. I measured the inside diameter of my cats and the x-pipe with calipers and it was 2.5"

When I get home tonight in about an hour, I will measure the tips...width and height as well as from the weld on the can to the end of the tip on the top side as well as for the bottom side to account for the 30° slash cut. Hopefully that will help in your decision process. I'll also get the piping diameter (inner and outer) coming out of the cans (as best I can).
Rochester (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Thanks, man. No rush at all, just gathering info and options for an end-of-year order.

It seems that owning the ARK Grip is an exercise in compromise. So today I'm swinging strong into the Fast Intentions column... which is funny to me, because I was so sure about ARK since the April meet-up.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 PM
Motoboat

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks, man. No rush at all, just gathering info and options for an end-of-year order.

It seems that owning the ARK Grip is an exercise in compromise. So today I'm swinging strong into the Fast Intentions column... which is funny to me, because I was so sure about ARK since the April meet-up.

I know exactly what you mean, I keep see-sawing between the two. But, as you will wait and take your time to make a wise, well thought out choice, one day ill just get bored and buy the one i like that day and live with it, good or bad

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread