G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 PM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?

Lady pulled in front me, causing me to only have about 15 feet to try and stop my car from 40mph. It didn't happen.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed. Car is totally stock 7AT with sport package.
Finished a full detailing the day before the accident too :-/

What are your thoughts? Totaled or not?

(See attached pics)
Attached Thumbnails Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225430.jpg   Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225450.jpg   Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225506.jpg   Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225527.jpg   Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225545.jpg  

Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?-forumrunner_20130929_225558.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 PM
dbeachy1
Premier Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! Hard to say if it's totaled from the pictures -- it will depend on how much engine damage there is, I suspect. Hang in there.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:58 PM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
A lot of work but it can be fixed.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:19 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I've seen worse damage and the car wasn't totaled. I would be surprised if this car was totaled. It looks like the air bags didn't deploy either.

I'm curious if the lady admitted fault or if she's claiming you rearended her. This could be the difference between an at fault claim or her insurance paying for everything (or your insurance paying for everything.)

I bought a dashcam especially for these purposes to prevent insurance fraud and to protect myself in case of accidents.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:28 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sorry to see that, probably not totalled since your 2013 still has higher resale. More importantly, how are you doing? Hope all is well in that regard, good luck w/ your situation, hope it all works out.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:39 AM
jazzmang

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was perfectly fine.
The lady admitted fault and I had an eyewitness from the car behind me that gave testimony to the police officer.
In just bummed about my pristine car being worked on. Depreciation is sure to follow...

I'm leaning towards wanting to sell the car once repairs are complete. I'm not down with having a car that I paid this much for to have substantial work done to it, especially because that implies that it may never drive exactly the same again.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by jazzmang
The lady admitted fault and I had an eyewitness from the car behind me that gave testimony to the police officer.
In just bummed about my pristine car being worked on. Depreciation is sure to follow...

I'm leaning towards wanting to sell the car once repairs are complete. I'm not down with having a car that I paid this much for to have substantial work done to it, especially because that implies that it may never drive exactly the same again.
It is a shame to have such a new car that now seems ''tainted'' but a good body shop should be able to repair as good as new w/ modern frame equipment. I was in a pretty severe side collision a few months ago and had similar thoughts. I insisted that only one shop in town would do the work, I checked on the work several times and took a couple extra days of finish work before I signed off in the repair. Just be diligent and insist on the highest quality work (get references for the best body shops), and you should get a quality repair that you'll feel good about.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I am glad you are ok.
Do you have 'Diminished Value' appraisals and claims available to you in the U.S.? Definitely something you should look in to.
Good luck.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Glad you're okay, but I think if you trade it in right after you may take a big depreciation hit. Do the research and don't let anyone take advantage of you.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Tcruarceri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if you do keep it, now may be the time to think about some cosmetic upgrades. Sorry for the bad luck though, if you like the car I would have it fixed, you are likely going to lose less money on the car the longer you keep it.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Lady pulled in front me, causing me to only have about 15 feet to try and stop my car from 40mph. It didn't happen.

Needless to say, I'm pretty bummed. Car is totally stock 7AT with sport package.
Finished a full detailing the day before the accident too :-/

What are your thoughts? Totaled or not?
Glad you are ok

Time to start shopping for another vehicle. My advice

Whether it gets repaired or not get rid of it

Telcoman
Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a similar offset front end hit in my old Mustang GT ... wasn't so lucky on someone admitting fault, though. No witnesses, my word against hers on who had the green light.

Regardless, similar level of damage, no airbag deploy, good repair, no issues at all with drivability or anything else. If it's no worse than it looks, I would be diligent about who does the work and checking in on the process, but I would keep the car.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:57 PM
pcfiii

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my civic crashed into pretty bad back in the day bought it brand new and i would say take it directly to infiniti and have them fix it only with OEM parts. If you can I would sue for diminished value because when you go to try and sell it they will low ball just because of the accident. Hopefully there is no frame damage, if there is defiantly sue because that will show up on the carfax and you will lose thousands just because. I would still keep it simply because it will drive the same given you take it straight to infiniti and have them replace it with oem parts. Glad your ok and sorry dumb things happen like this.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by pcfiii
Had my civic crashed into pretty bad back in the day bought it brand new and i would say take it directly to infiniti and have them fix it only with OEM parts. If you can I would sue for diminished value because when you go to try and sell it they will low ball just because of the accident. Hopefully there is no frame damage, if there is defiantly sue because that will show up on the carfax and you will lose thousands just because. I would still keep it simply because it will drive the same given you take it straight to infiniti and have them replace it with oem parts. Glad your ok and sorry dumb things happen like this.
A top-notch body shop should better than the dealer, but agree about insisting on OEM parts.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:56 PM
jazzmang

Thanks guys. I'm working with a collision shop here in Atlanta. I'm not approving the work to be done to it until I see an itemized invoice showing infinti OEM part numbers.

Quick Reply: Had my 2011 G37S for a month. Then, an accident. Totaled or not?