Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road and Track Q50s vs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The IS-F doesn't have a manual, does it? S4 would potentially be a contender. You guys are right that the reliability on the German cars is not up with the Japanese, but what will really kill you is the cost of parts and service (at least with BMW - I don't have much experience with Mercedes or Audi).

I still haven't driven a Q50, but not much desire to at this point.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:06 AM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is really sad for Infiniti, once winning awards for the G and now this for the Q
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not sure what is sad. They addreessed tech concerns, have an alternate powerplant, stated more powerplants are on the way, have a great interior, handsome car...they have a winner.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Stated tech concerns (didn't know it was a concern before, but ok) maybe too much.
Alternative powerplant should have been turbo 4
interior is nice..but could be too much with the dual screens, but that is subjective
handsome car..again, subjective. you think it is, but many don't.
winner - yet to be determined.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I'm not sure what is sad. They addreessed tech concerns, have an alternate powerplant, stated more powerplants are on the way, have a great interior, handsome car...they have a winner.
More expensive for no performance improvement. No attempt to match the 335 acceleration. No attempt to improve on handling.

Alternative powerplants, interior and exterior looks? I'm going to come right out and say what everyone else is afraid to: this is no longer a car targeted at guy guys. All of this crap--interiors, hybird power, exterior flair, etc. is effeminate. I am not sure I have ever seen a female driving a G37, and I live in DFW where they are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with feminine sensibilities or trying to broaden the appeal, but don't expect me to follow along. I am sure that Nissan looks at the stats and sees that they have an almost exclusively male audience and wants to tap the other side of the market. I want power, handling, tech (not cabin electronics...CAR tech like direct injection or turbos that makes **** go faster) with a few toys and good reliability so I can spend my time driving it.
The following 2 users liked this post by brizey:
KEG97 (09-14-2013), sniper27 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-13-2013, 01:09 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 236 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
I'm going to come right out and say what everyone else is afraid to: this is no longer a car targeted at guy guys. All of this crap--interiors, hybird power, exterior flair, etc. is effeminate. I am not sure I have ever seen a female driving a G37, and I live in DFW where they are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with feminine sensibilities or trying to broaden the appeal, but don't expect me to follow along. I am sure that Nissan looks at the stats and sees that they have an almost exclusively male audience and wants to tap the other side of the market. I want power, handling, tech (not cabin electronics...CAR tech like direct injection or turbos that makes **** go faster) with a few toys and good reliability so I can spend my time driving it.
Interesting you point this out. Here in Socal, it seems that 90% of the G37s I see are the base Journey+Premium (lease special) sedans with late 30s/early 40s women driving them. With the 1st and 2nd gen Gs, I saw a much higher percentage of men driving.

However, if I see a G37 sport model sedan or a coupe, those are almost always being driven by men.

I think one of the things Lexus tried to do with the new IS is attract more male buyers. That would explain the over-masculine nose.

Personally, I think the new Q looks androgynous, but I really think what kills is is that you are paying alot more money for 'some' refinements and new sexier sheet metal. The value is just not there like with previous generations.

What scares me even more is that I have not seen 1 single Q on the road here in San Diego. Lots of brand new G37s, but no Qs.

Last edited by socketz67; 09-13-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Jethro
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by devil2k
So either the story about Sebastian Vettel being the Director of Performance and helped develop this car is complete bullcrap, or that the guys at Road & Track don't know how to properly drive a performance car like a F1 champ.

Which is it?
I really do not think Vettel was on board soon enough to really influence the Q50. Seemed to me that it was already pretty done once he was given the director position.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:55 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67

What scares me even more is that I have not seen 1 single Q on the road here in San Diego. Lots of brand new G37s, but no Qs.
Same. In Los Angeles metro, I've already seen 5 new IS, but 0 Q50. Still see new G's daily.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I've yet to see a Q driving around here in Austin either. Tesla Model S's are everywhere though. If tech is your goal I'd rather spend the extra $10k to pick up a model S (would be even less than that with the tax credit and gas savings).

I wonder why they didn't just give the Q the current IPL tune, doesn't seem like it would have been that hard to do and would provide a boost in performance that it seems most enthusiasts on this forum are looking for.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by brizey
More expensive for no performance improvement. No attempt to match the 335 acceleration. No attempt to improve on handling.

Alternative powerplants, interior and exterior looks? I'm going to come right out and say what everyone else is afraid to: this is no longer a car targeted at guy guys. All of this crap--interiors, hybird power, exterior flair, etc. is effeminate. I am not sure I have ever seen a female driving a G37, and I live in DFW where they are a dime a dozen. Don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with feminine sensibilities or trying to broaden the appeal, but don't expect me to follow along. I am sure that Nissan looks at the stats and sees that they have an almost exclusively male audience and wants to tap the other side of the market. I want power, handling, tech (not cabin electronics...CAR tech like direct injection or turbos that makes **** go faster) with a few toys and good reliability so I can spend my time driving it.
I think they are in the right spot. They don't need to out BMW, BMW. When was the G ever targeted at males. I'm going to go out n a limb and say 50% of the drivers here are female.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
I'm going to go out n a limb and say 50% of the drivers here are female.
I'd agree, 50% of sedan owners are probably female.

Coupe owners? Certainly less than that. Sedan 6MT owners? Even less still.

And then there's the gender gap here on the forum, which is probably 100:1.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:23 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
Same. In Los Angeles metro, I've already seen 5 new IS, but 0 Q50. Still see new G's daily.
Saw a few new IS, 1 white Q the other day. Thought it was a Sonata from behind. Not kidding.

The IS is definitely beating Q's sales so far.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:32 PM
kanariya

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think they are in the right spot. They don't need to out BMW, BMW. When was the G ever targeted at males. I'm going to go out n a limb and say 50% of the drivers here are female.

Unfortunately Infiniti is trying to compete with BMW, but apparently BMW doesn't see Infiniti as a threat.

If you check out the bimmer forums, you rarely see anyone bring up the name Infiniti. Mostly BMW vs Audi.

You probably see BMW mentioned here in more than 50% of the threads.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Seraphix

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Seen a a handful of them out here. Again though as far as enthusiasts are concerned its a giant let down, and nothing will change that. Like Sniper said the outside is subjective. I think if it had significantly more power then the previous gen, that would definitely change some of our minds about the vehicle, it definitely would for me. I really cant get past that fact... The whole industry is changing and were trying to cater to the tech crowd i really dont get it. And i think articles like this just fuel our fire.
But there's still hope I believe if the coupes come out with a different power plant...
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though
Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Seraphix
Seen a a handful of them out here. Again though as far as enthusiasts are concerned its a giant let down, and nothing will change that. Like Sniper said the outside is subjective. I think if it had significantly more power then the previous gen, that would definitely change some of our minds about the vehicle, it definitely would for me. I really cant get past that fact... The whole industry is changing and were trying to cater to the tech crowd i really dont get it. And i think articles like this just fuel our fire.
But there's still hope I believe if the coupes come out with a different power plant...
Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though
Yep, it's a shame they're trying to make it more of an Iphone extension instead of improving upon their most successful bread & butter vehicle. The G is what sustained the brand and w/ every generation they were nipping closer & closer to the 3 series in terms of performance & blew BMW away from a value standpoint. Now the performance has taken a backseat and the value is definitely a thing of the past. Having a hard time seeing a positive endgame from all this, not to mention the funky nomenclature
And it's sorta homely

Quick Reply: Road and Track Q50s vs