Sponsored by:

Weird Noise when going over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 01:17 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
well depends on if you are still covered under warranty..but INI only has 3 yrs..
Not to start a "aftermarket vs. warranty" argument, but I believe that what sneakers is referring to is that if you have an aftermarket modification then it will void the warranty for the part that was replaced. i.e. if you put aftermarket sways on your car they are no longer OEM, therefore they will not be covered under warranty.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by My'09G37X
Not to start a "aftermarket vs. warranty" argument, but I believe that what sneakers is referring to is that if you have an aftermarket modification then it will void the warranty for the part that was replaced. i.e. if you put aftermarket sways on your car they are no longer OEM, therefore they will not be covered under warranty.
That's correct. My dealership was very specific about that when I asked them about swapping sways. They said that the aftermarket sways would invalidate warranty claims on both the sways and the OEM end-links they're connected to.

My reaction? Whoopdidoo, as if that matters.

The only reason I asked them in the first place was because I'll be taking the car there for an inspection in about 10 days, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to mount the Eibach's that have been collecting dust in my office. However, they quoted me a stupidly high price for the install, and I passed.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
If this is indeed your bushings, try this technique.

Wrap the area with plumbers tape before greasing the daylights out of it. It lasts longer. I use this trick of tape coupled with Amsoil Synth grease and haven't had the need to regrease in over a year (rears). The fronts i recently regreased since there was nothing else to do, it still had tons of grease there.
Really?

Thanks for the timely heads-up, soundmike. Researching this now. Google, google, google...

[edit] I'm finding a lot of recommendations for yellow gas pipe teflon tape, over the typical white tape that I'm familiar with. Didn't even know there was a "gas pipe" tape. I guess it's a little thicker. I've got an 8oz container of Energy Suspension Pre-lube Grease that should last me a lifetime of re-greasing. Think I'm going to pick up some teflon tape from Home Depot before the install.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-23-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After market polyurethane bushing makes noise, does not last long as it deformed and loose shape.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
MattG37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I dropped my car off at the dealership and its been about 3 day and havent heard back from them.. Guessing they really havent seen this problem in the Dallas Area. Will keep you guys updated what they say.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:54 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MattG37s
So I dropped my car off at the dealership and its been about 3 day and havent heard back from them.. Guessing they really havent seen this problem in the Dallas Area. Will keep you guys updated what they say.
This is not right, shouldn't taken more than couple hours.

i brought my 11'G in last Friday morning for rattle sound near driver panel, got it done in the afternoon around 1:00, got a rental G as well, good service, had the issue resolved by installed an insulating panel. issue gone.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:29 PM
ParkStr8

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue with my '12 EX - after I installed my Hotchkis sway bars.

Was guessing it was the sway - maybe it was rubbing due to the increase in size.

And now after reading this post I'm 99% sure that's it. After the car has been driven awhile there is no issue.

Not sure if i'll go back to the stock in the front or not. If the bushings will wear fast then I probably will.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by ParkStr8; 04-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM
AMai1215

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
MattG37S, any updates from the dealership in regards to the noise issue of your car?

Also, does anyone know if there are any other aftermarket bushings that are better than the one supplied by Hotchkis? The noise can be quite annoying at times.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 PM
MattG37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Guys.. With the noise issue I havent heard anything yet and my car is still the shop its going on 2 weeks this weekend. Dont believe its still there due to the noise but acouple weeks back. I had a grandma cut me off and I hit the curb going about 35-40mph. Had some curb rash on the rim and got it fixed thru my warranty. But car never drove the same so they found the rim had a slit bend in it so im guessing they are waiting for the rim guys to replace my rim.. Im still very susprised I bent the rim going 35mph. But I will keep you posted on the noise problem when i get it back.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
ZenZiglar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does greasing the bushings extend their life? I have Hotchki sways. How often should I grease them?
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
nbdiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you still trying to figure out what the odd noise is coming from your front suspension when going over bumps or dips this is what I found out from my local dealer. I just got my car back and they replaced the front left strut assembly. I asked what the problem was and I was told the tech was a little unsure other than he could tell there was a definite malfunction happening in the strut assembly. There was no leak which is the first indication of a problem but after driving it he could tell something wasn't right. It didn't sound like this is something they have seen very often so I would encourage you to take your car in to the dealership if you hear what I heard which was a squishy/squeaky noise (non-metallic rubbing) coming from the front end when going over speed bumps or through deep dips in the road. I hope this is helpful!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
91ZCpe

Which silicon grease do you recommend for the sway bars?

I'm having that noise as well going over speed bumps and I want to start with the sways first to see if that is the culprit.

Also, how do you grease them - use the zerk fittings or take the bushings off and grease it?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

my right side is making same noise

hey guys,
any more info on this noise? my left side has been making this noise for a while but can't remember if it was making the noise before installing hotchkis sway bar about a year ago. but recently i've been hearing the right side also is making same noise. i also have gtspec strut bar.
so does it just need to be re grease, rubbing or bad shocks?
thanks

Last edited by TeeItHi; 12-09-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM
ram18962
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Ive read to regrease the bushings every 15k miles so I have been following that and no squeaks
Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM
TeeItHi
Registered Member

damn i just had the car up doin oil change

Originally Posted by ram18962
Ive read to regrease the bushings every 15k miles so I have been following that and no squeaks
i guess gotta get greasing. thanks

Quick Reply: Weird Noise when going over bumps