Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

36 Hours and I Will Finally Be Joining the Family

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Ian5565

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
36 Hours and I Will Finally Be Joining the Family

Sorry for the wall of text, but after browsing the forums for a while, I decided it was about time to commit and make my first post. As I'm writing this, I pickup my new 2012 Black G37x sport sedan w/tech (leased - auto) in exactly 35.5 hours and I could not be more excited!

Previously I was driving an 08' Accord Coupe EXL V6 w/Nav. It was a solid car (minus the enormous amount of brake issues i had) but it just didn't have the level of luxury I was looking for at this stage in my life. I did decide though, that it was time to retire the two door and move towards a sedan.

For me, the budget was a little tight, but I really was looking to fall in love with my future car. I have to admit, when I began my hunt I had completely discounted the G and was deliberating between the A4 S-Line and the TL SH-AWD Tech. I was leaning towards the A4, but the truth was that for the price point and the trim I was receiving with the A4, I was having a load of trouble justifying the purchase to myself.

After being essentially forced into the Infiniti dealership a good friend of mine used to work for, it didn't exactly take long for me to fall in love. One block and I was hooked. The drive is the main selling point of this car 100%. The level of trim and option for the price was just unreal as well. I was so enthusiastic about the car that I brought my sister (who was also in the market for a car) back 2 days later when I was going to sign the deal.

My sister started by giving me a whole speech about how, "she doesn't need all the G's excess standard features and and the level of performance I clearly wanted in my car" (as she was content with her old Mazda 3). After one block, she told me I was right and that she wanted one too. She bought it in white as well and we both got even more incentives.

So right now all I can do is lay here in anticipation for Wednesday at 2. Pictures are definitely to follow. As for now, I was just wondering if there are any recommendations you guys have in retrospect for someone like myself. Right now, I'm attempting to research the best ways to maintain the paint on the car in order to keep it in pristine condition off the lot. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and looking forward to contributing to the community in the future,

Ian
Old 08-14-2012, 04:17 AM
NNNIICC

Fresh wax
Or you can do that paint protection thing they offer at the dealership.

Any plans for the car?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Ian5565

I'm starting with tints. With summer coming to an end and the snow coming around, I probably wont do much modding till next season the earliest. I intend to put either 19's or 20's and lowering at some point after seeing how much it improves the look of the car... but I really need to study the boards for an extended period of time before I can make a commitment like that.

As for paint protection, I wasn't offered any. But from the limited reading I've done so far it would appear that the forum consensus is that if you want it done right, do it yourself.

This may be an incredibly stupid question but obviously the car is detailed when I pick it up. Is it already waxed meaning that I would wait another month before reapplying? Or should I immediately wax her right off the lot (even if they say they already did it)?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Sounds like you need to look into a clear bra.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:58 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
Sounds like you need to look into a clear bra.
This is a must if you really want to keep it, as you say, "in pristine condition". Either this or don't drive it anywhere.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Ian5565

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
This is a must if you really want to keep it, as you say, "in pristine condition". Either this or don't drive it anywhere.
From what I've read though, colors without the pearl effects shouldn't have the bra put on as it will be quite visible. I went with the Obsidian black. Based on that info, I think I'll just focus on regular waxing and wheel maint. In terms of rock chips what what not, what I learned from returning my car is that 12$ worth of touch up paint each season can really go a long way.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian5565
From what I've read though, colors without the pearl effects shouldn't have the bra put on as it will be quite visible. I went with the Obsidian black. Based on that info, I think I'll just focus on regular waxing and wheel maint. In terms of rock chips what what not, what I learned from returning my car is that 12$ worth of touch up paint each season can really go a long way.
Not true anymore. Some clear bras had a bit of orange peel in them but Venture Shield doesn't and therefore will not show on dark cars.

Both my G's have been OB. I learned from the first one (07) that no clear bra was a mistake. You can't see the clear bra on my 2011. It's done professionally and properly.
G35Driver - View Single Post - VentureShield vs Nano-Fusion
Old 08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,591 Likes on 3,436 Posts
"Joining the family" by leasing an AWD automatic? That might be more accurate than you know.

See that small group of gearheads smoking in the corner? You're not qualified to hang with them. And that slightly larger group of guys wearing blue jeans and t-shirts? Those are the 6MT Sedan owners, and they're just going to make fun of you. What you want to do is hang out with all the business suits over in the Rental Room. And let me tell you, there's are thousands of them over there, all talking about NAV systems and window tint.

Just kidding, OP. Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
"Joining the family" by leasing an AWD automatic? That might be more accurate than you know.

See that small group of gearheads smoking in the corner? You're not qualified to hang with them. And that slightly larger group of guys wearing blue jeans and t-shirts? Those are the 6MT Sedan owners, and they're just going to make fun of you. What you want to do is hang out with all the business suits over in the Rental Room. And let me tell you, there's are thousands of them over there, all talking about NAV systems and window tint.

Just ignore Rochester, he hasn't been fed in awhile j/k John

I currently own a black G and in retrospect I wish I would have clear-bra'd from the start~ my hood, front side (around headlights), & door pillars are peppered w/ chips, the bumper luckily is painted over black plastic so it's not as bad.

How long is your lease? If it's just an 18 mo. lease it might be more of a pain to lower it since you'll have to revert back to stock suspension in a relatively short time, if it's a 39 mo. that's enough time to enjoy them then revert back. At any rate, glad to have you here & looks like you've picked out a great G! Oh, and throw Rochester some pretzels before you turn out the lights & lock up
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

LOL, Newt. I said "just kidding". That's like saying, "With all due respect." It's a license to say whatever you want afterwards.

OK, here's some straight advice:

That 3M paint shield, or clear bra, or whatever it's called... really, that's not good money spent on a leased car. Paint chips are a fact of life, and it's not your car, so it's wasted effort to obsess over it. Also not good money spent on a leased car: most any power or suspension mods, because you're going to have to de-modify the car when you give it back.

Seems to me the most simple and easily reversible mod you could make to a rental would be wheels. Then when your lease is up, swap them back for the old ones, and sell the rims, or use them on the next car (if you're lucky with size and offset). The downside to aftermarket rims is that you'd be showcasing those little rotors and unpainted calipers.

Other than that... the most justifiable mod would be aftermarket swaybars. Not quite as easy to swap in and out for the average DIY'er, but also probably not more than $100 at the shop. Plus, the sway bars would run under $400, which is much less expense than wheels. And on the AWD G37, a sway bar kit would be a HUGE upgrade in handling.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Another "easy and cheap" mod for a leased car is LED interior lighting. Love mine, got them from diode dynamics off the forum here. Congrats on the new ride!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BLamb
Another "easy and cheap" mod for a leased car is LED interior lighting. Love mine, got them from diode dynamics off the forum here. Congrats on the new ride!
Great idea, BLamb.

Which ones would you recommend? I did the door panels, trunk light and back-up lights.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Ian5565

Originally Posted by Rochester

I laughed pretty hard when I read this - I was pretty well aware when i was posting that the real car enthusiasts would likely throw up at the thought of all wheel drive. Fact is though, I live in Canada and a RWD 6MT would be more pain then its worth for me.

PS: I'm super excited for my Nav system and Bose speakers! :P LOL

In terms of the bra. From the research I've done it would appear that most agree with Rochester. The car is leased and while I definitely want to maintain the clear coat and really keep her looking new... the hefty price tag could definitely be spent elsewhere more efficiently and likely will be invested in rims.

I really like the sway bars and LED suggestion though. Is the difference in drive that noticeable with sway bars? Also, with the LED lights I'm assuming you guys went aftermarket? Would you even bother with the Infiniti ones (I heard they are pretty dim)?

My lease is 48 months.

I should probably add to this post - 3 more hours till' i pick her up!

Last edited by Ian5565; 08-15-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Adding countdown
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I laughed pretty hard when I read this - I was pretty well aware when i was posting that the real car enthusiasts would likely throw up at the thought of all wheel drive.
There's this other thing that Nissan makes...GT-R...as well as several other makes of AWD performance cars out there.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Is the difference in drive that noticeable with sway bars?
The RWD Sport Package has a very noticeably stiffer suspension than otherwise. I've driven a number of G's without, and it feels very floaty to me, with a body sway that is typical of today's sport sedans. While the G is better than most, it's still very sedan-ish. And even though I've got a 6MT, a set of Hotchkis sways is firmly on my list as a future mod.

There's a guy here named GOONZ who seems to know his way around cars, and aftermarket sways was one of the first things he did to his G37xS. Go find his thread, bump it or PM him.

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
There's this other thing that Nissan makes...GT-R...as well as several other makes of AWD performance cars out there.
Agreed. AWD doesn't negate performance, and usually adds to it. (Hello Audi, BMW and Acura.) It's just on the G, you can't get one with the other without modifying it yourself.

Quick Reply: 36 Hours and I Will Finally Be Joining the Family