G37 Sedan

Knocking in rear deck/trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Knocking in rear deck/trunk

Hey guys,

I've had some nasty rattles from the rear deck shelf since brand new. Haven't been back to the dealer for my first oil change yet. Figured I would try it myself (fixing it) since the dealer will likely tell me that can't reproduce it.

So I had a pretty good "rattle" that seems to come from the grille of the Bose sub. I wedged something between the rear window tail light and the glass (temporary fix) and that stopped the rattle.

However, I have this light "knocking" sound over bumps. Can't seem to figure it out. I've started pulling out the inside of the trunk as was able to get to the underside of the shelf. Holy S is that thing filled rattle makers. That said...not seems to be rattling while driving...just a clunk/knock when going over bumps.

To make matters worse, I live the city, with bump streets and the dealer is in the burbs....where there are no potholes for miles. I guess I could go scope out some bad road and then take the tech on a drive.

Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:27 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i have some loud rattle and knocking sound from my trunk too. not too sure why or exactly where it's coming from. i haven't took it to the dealer yet, as experience has it, they fix a rattle and add 2 more new ones.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more than likely noise from the parcel shelf...

I've been seeing about getting it dampened as well...
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Justin G37xS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same issue

I have a 2012 4 door with maybe 2,300 miles on it now and Ive already brought it back to the dealer a couple of times to try and have them find the rattle in the rear deck of my car as well (only happens when hitting bumps in the road). I don't believe it has anything to do with the Bose speaker grill. I think it may have something to do with the third light being loose or something around that light. All the dealership has done is take the rear deck panel off and put foam underneath it, which odveously did nothing. I would love to know if someone else can figure out the answer to this problem as well because it is definitely annoying.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
CAL

I have the same thing and would like to know the FIX!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM
OwenC
Registered Member

All this time I thought it was only me. I get the same knocking/rattle sound from the rear deck but haven't had time to investigate.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I had this very issue occurring with my 2010 G37S Sedan. I thought because I had replaced my sway bars with Hotchkis units (rears set on the stiffest setting) and that the increased stiffness was translating more road irregularities into the car and had knocked something loose. It was frustrating because hey, it's a $40k+ car and that shouldn't happen.

I took it to the dealer and explained that I was experiencing a rattle coming from the rear parcel shelf when going over bumps or just seams in the pavement while driving. They sent a tech out on a drive with me and I was able to reproduce the problem easily. Once the tech was able to hear it, he knew how to chase down the issue.

I would say take it to the dealer. They fixed it for my car free of charge and the rattle is gone and I'm happy. I hope this is helpful for those of you that are experiencing the same issue. Cheers!

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
And the fix was what?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:30 PM
88gt

2009 G37s Sedan. If I close either driver side door I get a low muffled thump. If I open the truck lid.. no thumb. I have no clue and have not taken to dealer yet.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fixed!
I'm shocked, no pun intended.

So I've had the car since March (new 2012 G37S Sedan 7AT). Dealership was great, got the SA to drive with me, of course it wasn't really doing it. As luck would have it, the dealer parking lot has the rain gutter concrete trenches next to the road. I just said, "Watch this" to the SA....and then rolled in to the lot, over the trenches at about 10 mph. Knock knock went the rear deck. It was never super loud, but there. Drove me nuts and soured the new car experience the last few months.

The sound was present a few days after getting the car, but pretty faint. I figured i'd deal with it later. It did get slightly worse, again, thinking the car was breaking in. So, long story short, dealer looked and looked for a day and half, kept driving it over gutter/curb, riding in the trunk..etc. Turns out, one of the shocks was bad in the back! They replaced both and the sound is gone! Whew.

They also added some insulation on the shelf. I think the speaker grille rattle is better, but I think I hear it again. I'm not bummed by that in the least. I can tackle that, the thunk just drove me nuts.

BTW: The speaker grille/rear shelf is just bad design. Every 2nd Gen G (07-12) has done it. Virtually every loaner, my 09 and now my 12.

So those with a knocking and a new/near new car...might be the shocks!

Mike S.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you perhaps, lock your wife in the trunk?
Old 09-17-2012, 02:23 PM
g3065

I've got the same issue but only when my tire tread is really low... It rarely happens but I have a feeling it will get worse in the future as the car gets older?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
jnrosa1127

I had the same problem, it sounded like the rear deck but the I found it was a loose muffler mount. I forgot to tighten the mount when I put the sways on.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I had the same problem in my '10 Sedan. Take it to the dealer and have a technician ride with you. I did that and he was able to pinpoint the location of the rattle and stop it. It was fairly reproducible. I'm not sure what they did but the rattle is gone. Just have them do it on your next service. I had mine done at Sewell Infiniti in Dallas. They are top notch over there. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I had the same problem in my '10 Sedan. Take it to the dealer and have a technician ride with you. I did that and he was able to pinpoint the location of the rattle and stop it. It was fairly reproducible. I'm not sure what they did but the rattle is gone. Just have them do it on your next service. I had mine done at Sewell Infiniti in Dallas. They are top notch over there. Hope that helps.
I have taken car to three dealers to fix this annoying problem and not one of them would even attempt to fix it (out of warranty).