G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G37 Sedan 6MT owners check in....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:17 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
the CSC failure is common, but by no means a given. it is just a known weak spot in our gearboxes. i had mine replaced under warranty at 42k miles. still driveable, just lots of funky sounds. i did the master cylinder at the same time.

as for snow tires, i go with 225/50 all around on a second set of staggered sport OEM "duckbill" 18" wheels. great combo. going with a slightly narrower section in the rear is a great idea in the winter as it increases the contact pressure to help bite through slush and snow. 225/50 is almost identical in diameter to 245/45, of course, since our fronts are 225/50.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
i had mine replaced under warranty at 42k miles. still driveable, just lots of funky sounds.
Mine failed instantly, without warning, at 18k miles. Within seconds, the pedal dropped to the floor and wouldn't come up. The clutch fluid reservoir was empty. Pretty scary stuff.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:41 PM
joeltender

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear its covered under warranty. With 24k miles my car wasn't bought until june 2012 originally, so i should have 18 to 20months of bumper to bumper
Is there any unusual/common warranty work anybody has experienced that I should keep an eye out for?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by joeltender
Good to hear its covered under warranty.
^ there's the rub. in some cases the CSC is not covered. i believe the strict interpretation of the warranty according to Nissan is that wear items like the CSC is not covered. depending on the dealer, their interpretation of the problem and their ability to process warranty claims, CSC failures can be denied as it could be considered a wear item like the clutch. some dealers can get "creative" with how they submit claims. a lot also depends on your relationship with the dealer.

if you search around the forum, some guys have been out of pocket for the repair - in which case they probably used the heavy duty CSC from Zspeed which seems to cure any additional problems.

while i do not take my car in to the dealer for regular preventative maintenance, i do semi-frequent visits to at least maintain my profile with them. be it for service specials, launch events, show 'n shines, etc. since i work within a 5 minute drive, this is easy. the service manager knows me by name. this works to my advantage when it comes to warranty claims.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

^ there's the rub. in some cases the CSC is not covered. i believe the strict interpretation of the warranty according to Nissan is that wear items like the CSC is not covered. depending on the dealer, their interpretation of the problem and their ability to process warranty claims, CSC failures can be denied as it could be considered a wear item like the clutch. some dealers can get "creative" with how they submit claims.
It's covered under the 4-year Bumper-to-Bumper warranty, but not under the 7-year drive-train warranty.

Seven years, isn't it? I keep forgetting.

A lot also depends on your relationship with the dealer.
That's really it.

I used to have a fantastic everybody-knows-everybody relationship with my old Nissan dealership. At Infiniti... not so much. Particularly since changing my own oil, and going to a speed shop for mods.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 PM
purez33

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to interupt your discussion but here's my 6mt

Old 10-08-2014, 04:45 PM
alxmlr789

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Good lookin 6spd!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by joeltender
Thanks. I just hope this slave cylinder failure im reading about isnt a forgone conclusion.
For snow tires can i go 235 or 225 all around? Or will that throw anything off camber/alignment wise?
I don't know about the 235 nor 225 all around on our staggered wheels but what canucklehead wrote seems legit

I got Continental DWS All season performance tires front and rear 225/245 last december and they were pretty good, but in snow deeper than 5-6 inches ( depending on what kind of snow) it was quite a PITA to move around, so this year I decided I'll be getting just two rear 245s performance winter tires as the front DWSs are in great shape.

And here's mine. Yes, I know, I need spacers..

by Mik3G37S, on Flickr

Last edited by Mik3G37S; 10-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:04 PM
alxmlr789

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of noises the CSC makes?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
a lot also depends on your relationship with the dealer.
THIS

I don't have a clue how warranty work is done "in the system" (paperwork wise), but I know there's a lot dealers can do if they want to do it.

Luckily my SA drives a 6MT sedan as well, instant bond right here, should be good
Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
My csc failed during my cross-country road trip (at 54k miles) while I was at the top of Smokey Mountain National Park (Clingman's Dome). Clutch fell to the floor. Turned the car off and turned it back on and it felt "mushy" when I was pushing in the clutch. Pressure came back fortunately and then I went to Z1 to have their aftermarket CSC installed before resuming the rest of my road trip. Glad I did it and the feeling is different than the OEM CSC and no longer have to worry about this issue.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Choman
My csc failed during my cross-country road trip (at 54k miles) while I was at the top of Smokey Mountain National Park (Clingman's Dome). Clutch fell to the floor. Turned the car off and turned it back on and it felt "mushy" when I was pushing in the clutch. Pressure came back fortunately and then I went to Z1 to have their aftermarket CSC installed before resuming the rest of my road trip. Glad I did it and the feeling is different than the OEM CSC and no longer have to worry about this issue.
If the clutch pedal were on the floor, how did you turn it back on without the clutch engaged and the transmission out of gear?

What was the cost (part & install) for the Z1 Mechanical CSC, please?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/g37_370...oducts_id=7340

Last edited by Rochester; 10-10-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
If the clutch pedal were on the floor, how did you turn it back on without the clutch engaged and the transmission out of gear?

What was the cost (part & install) for the Z1 Mechanical CSC, please?

Z1 Clutch Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC) Elimination Kit
Sorry, what I meant to say was that I lost significant pressure to the point where I couldn't shift into or out of a gear. As for the feeling it felt like it fell to the floor and maybe moved 2" at the most so I coasted and pulled the gear out. Shut down the engine and restarted the car and the pressure came back, not completely but about back to 70% normal.

As for the cost of the parts I paid $420 + tax like it says on the website. Also includes a SS clutch line. Installation was about 5.5 to 6 hours IIRC.

At that point you might as well get an aftermarket clutch, it is quite a job.

Also one other note, they took out the helper spring and with the stiffness of the Z1 CSC it made sense and I like the current setup of it.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm starting to think that CSC failure doesn't always occur with the same symptoms. Mine failed with only 30 seconds of warning that something wasn't right, then the pedal dropped and never came up. I was dead in the water, almost instantly.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Yeah and with that kind of inconsistency, I couldn't take the risk so I decided to swap it then. It provided peace of mind for the rest of the journey and I know it won't fail at any given moment now.

One other note!

Since they are taking apart the car, make sure when they torque it all down when putting it back together. Had some rattles and weird noises that needed to be fixed so be sure it's all buckled down.

Also, I know you were looking to do the STS, best time might be then as well since they removed my center console.

Quick Reply: G37 Sedan 6MT owners check in....