Sponsored by:

Subframe Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Subframe Damage?

Herro,

Just a quick question for ya'all. I had a full car the other day, and I ended up bottom the rear of the car out. Had I known the speed bumps were going to be that bad, I never would've driven. Despite...I checked under the car today, and it seems that the very bottom (right beyond-inwards of where the rear jackpoint is) has been scuffed. The rubber material that covers it has been torn off. It's not heavily damaged, but just enough to have cut slightly INTO the actual metal piece (shaved). Is this considered subframe damage? Potenial issues to worry about?

I also have several (3) hairline fractures in my rear different cover. Thoughts as to how and why (casing is off an 07 Z with 4.083 ring and pinion)? Considering the finned differential cover. Ugh...

Thanks guys,
Eric
Old 04-08-2012, 07:47 PM
eksigned

Any comments are greatly appreciated!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
That rubber piece isn't too important (quoted from an Infiniti service tech). As far as the diff cover, as long as its not leaking fluid I think you should be fine. I would say if you had any major frame damage, the car would be driving differently.

If you are really worries, bring it to a mechanic and get it looked at. They'll throw it up on a lift and inspect everything. What's the worst that can happen?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
The FM chassis the G37 is built on is very rigid and tough. It would take more than simply bottoming out to permanently twist or damage the car. The 'rubber material" is simply undecoating and you could find some aftermarket products (sprays) that would cover the damaged areas. As for the hairline fractures in the differential cover, are you certain they're not simply scratches? Check the fluid level to see if the diff level has dropped if you're really worried.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 PM
eksigned

Originally Posted by Mattster
That rubber piece isn't too important (quoted from an Infiniti service tech). As far as the diff cover, as long as its not leaking fluid I think you should be fine. I would say if you had any major frame damage, the car would be driving differently.

If you are really worries, bring it to a mechanic and get it looked at. They'll throw it up on a lift and inspect everything. What's the worst that can happen?
that's a very good point saw the damage today; do have an appointment o have it all inspected. no differential fluid is leaking at the moment...

Originally Posted by dkmura
The FM chassis the G37 is built on is very rigid and tough. It would take more than simply bottoming out to permanently twist or damage the car. The 'rubber material" is simply undecoating and you could find some aftermarket products (sprays) that would cover the damaged areas. As for the hairline fractures in the differential cover, are you certain they're not simply scratches? Check the fluid level to see if the diff level has dropped if you're really worried.
thanks for your input. i ran my nail over the "lines" - they dug in a bit. here's a picture of the larger hit.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Does look like a crack from this angle. Still doesn't look like there's fluid leaking. I would say that I think it's one for now, but it's probably gonna have to be replaced eventually.