G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:11 PM
Fox331

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I just received one of the latest batch of Topspeed exhausts. The tips are now clamp on instead of welded directly to the mufflers. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing as this allows for adjustment of the tips for depth and straightness. You can position the band clamp with the bolt on top where you won't be able to see it. What's your guys opinion on this?
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 PM
jtn
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox331
Well I just received one of the latest batch of Topspeed exhausts. The tips are now clamp on instead of welded directly to the mufflers. I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing as this allows for adjustment of the tips for depth and straightness. You can position the band clamp with the bolt on top where you won't be able to see it. What's your guys opinion on this?
Dang, I hope it's a good thing also. I just ordered mine yesterday.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Was that something that was noted on the order/info page?
TopSpeed has pulled a couple shady things over the years regarding this exhaust. Are the tips the same look and size that's listed on the info page?

I wouldn't be real happy with that, but as long as the tips are acceptable quality and not those crappy tin cans they sell on their straight cut versions it's probably something you can live with.

It's getting harder and harder to recommend this exhaust
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 PM
jtn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
TopSpeed has pulled a couple shady things over the years regarding this exhaust. Are the tips the same look and size that's listed on the info page?

I wouldn't be real happy with that, but as long as the tips are acceptable quality and not those crappy tin cans they sell on their straight cut versions it's probably something you can live with.

I made sure to ask if it was the bevel tips, they said yes. I hope I could get a refund if the quality is not as good as before.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Fox331

Originally Posted by blnewt

They're double wall beveled tips. They look nice. I was just surprised to see them separate from the mufflers, that's not what's pictured in the photos on their site. I just hope it all lines up ok when I install it. That may be a bit since I'm getting ready to move soon.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
post up pics when you can.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 AM
jtn
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fox331
They're double wall beveled tips. They look nice. I was just surprised to see them separate from the mufflers, that's not what's pictured in the photos on their site. I just hope it all lines up ok when I install it. That may be a bit since I'm getting ready to move soon.
I just got mine in yesterday, but both tips have some dents and scratches in them on areas that are visible. I'm hoping it can get replaced. How are the conditions of yours?
Old 08-20-2016, 03:24 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
When I got mine on the inside of the tip was a small ding/indent and they offered a discount next time I bought something. Im still happy with it regardless.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:55 PM
Fox331

Originally Posted by jtn
I just got mine in yesterday, but both tips have some dents and scratches in them on areas that are visible. I'm hoping it can get replaced. How are the conditions of yours?
I didn't notice any dents but there are some small blemishes in the finish
Old 08-20-2016, 10:11 PM
JonMS

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just installed mine on 08/19. No scratches on anything but the tips did have some very very small dents on the rim. Nothing against having clamp on tips as I can replace them with something else later on if I please.

Issues I did have was the clock orientation of the mufflers to mid pipe were off and needed to be persuaded. Also couldn't fit the bracket that went under OEM mid pipe screwing into each side of the car. The gaskets are paper poop. Other than that I'm SUPER happy with the sound.

Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?-q2rfcru.jpg

Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?-rfjqygs.jpg

Name:  xTp1jtN.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  930.1 KB
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Na1ddo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 12' sedan and i have this Exhaust. It's a good rumble, not too loud, but not quiet.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Mine will be here tomorrow. Thanks guys, Im a little nervous now lol
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Fox331

Here's a picture of the clamp on tips if anyone is interested in seeing how the new design is. Been really busy with selling my house so I still haven't got a chance to install and see how it all lines up.
blnewt (08-22-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

I got mine yesterday and I have to say I have almost no complaints. I'm impatient so I had the stock exhaust off the car and was waiting for the UPS man yesterday After unboxing the exhaust everything was pretty well packed. I didn't have any damage to anything. The initial quality seems good. The welds look good, the flanges are thick and the tubing seems to be of good quality.

Name:  Top%20Speed%203_zpsyi4e9xfr.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  195.0 KB
Name:  Top%20Speed%201_zps2olf7fgm.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  243.2 KB
Name:  Top%20Speed%202_zpsxroviqzw.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  214.4 KB

I know others have had fitment issues, but I had absolutely zero. The exhaust fit perfect on my car with no tweaking of any hangers. I think the key is to mount the ENTIRE exhaust system very loosely before tightening anything down. I did use the crappy gaskets but put a nice solid bead of high temp RTV all the way around each gasket.

The clamp on tips I definitely think is an improvement over the early exhaust. The tips are high quality and you can rotate them and orient them however you want. The extra adjustability is VERY nice.

Name:  Top%20Speed%204_zpsp8nojybj.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  197.2 KB

The only problems I ran into was that the clamps for my tips were too big. With the clamp tightened completely the tips were still loose. I reached out to my contact at Top Speed yesterday and hopefully get some resolution today.

The biggest problem I've found is that this exhaust is LOUD. The tone is awesome, but I cannot get over how loud this exhaust is. I am running resonated test pipes so I'm thinking that may be part of the loudness. I'm also driving the car without the tips so maybe the exhaust is building up under the car instead of out the back of the car making it sound louder. I'm going to wait until I get some smaller clamps for the tips, but if it stays anywhere near this loud I am going to have to change something.
The following 2 users liked this post by jfisher:
blnewt (08-23-2016), MStrike (12-17-2021)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:22 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

One thing I forgot to call out is how the y pipe is installed. It is not symmetrical, but it will physically fit both ways. The hangers need to be at the bottom of the y pipe when installed. The y pipe has a bend right off of the OEM y pipe flange and it should bend upward to stay nice and tight to the bottom of the car. I initially installed it upside down and you could clearly see it was hanging too low. Hope that helps!
afrayedknot (02-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Top Speed exhaust for the Sedan?